Worst job ever.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I started work for a great company, and couldn't be happier. Were vary diverse and it gives me the chance to do different things besides just trees. One of the other things we do is plane recovery. The first one we had to rappel down a rock face after being helicoptered to the top of a rocky mountain top. After rappeling down to the wreck I had to remove a 50ft pine that the plane had got wedged under. The pine was on a ledge, on a 80 percent slop 6000 ft. up.(the tallest tree I've ever climbed 6050 ft. Way cool, and yes I am kind of high siding. Now for the Worst job ever. Yesterday we were helicoptered to a rocky mountain top 11,000ft, We rappled down 250ft down a rocky slide 75 percent grade. The wreckage was like an accordion. The SAR team had been there the week before recovering the body's. At that time there had been snow on the ground. To make a long story short and admitting the grizzly details, beside the plane we recoverd 150lbs of what was once 4 people. I wasn't in the military or anything to prepare me for the sights we saw. I am happy I could maybe help the familys and I love the thrill of the whole thing, but never have I done a more horrible job.

That sounds pretty rough, no doubt. Try and think of it like "someone's gotta do it", maybe that'll help. Good job helping the families also.

In the course of life we all witness things we would rather not see at some point, I think thats just part of it. Try to live good and work safe, thats all.

That sounds pretty rough, no doubt. Try and think of it like "someone's gotta do it", maybe that'll help. Good job helping the families also.

In the course of life we all witness things we would rather not see at some point, I think thats just part of it. Try to live good and work safe, thats all.

I'm with MDS on this. I know it hurt you to witness those things, but if not you then who? I'm assuming there isn't a long line of people with qualifications to do your work. Just consider yourself lucky to be doing what you love. Everything has a price.

Body recovery is never a pleasant job, more so when they are not intact. I don't think there is anything you can do to prepare yourself for the sights you may see. Everyone reacts differently. If it is giving you difficulties, seek someone you can talk to about it, don't keep it to yourself. There is nothing you can do for a deceased person other than treat their remains with dignity and ensure that they have a proper burial.

one of two things will happen here, you will either get over it and continue on with your career or you'll say forget it and move on to something else but like others said, don't let it get you down and out.

Last edited:
Rftreeman is right, youll either get used to it (it might take a little while) or it will be a problem for you.

Ask the local LEO training or medics or hospitals what they do to get used to it. They might have some pointers. But it probably is going to come down to experience.

I started work for a great company, and couldn't be happier. Were vary diverse and it gives me the chance to do different things besides just trees. One of the other things we do is plane recovery. The first one we had to rappel down a rock face after being helicoptered to the top of a rocky mountain top. After rappeling down to the wreck I had to remove a 50ft pine that the plane had got wedged under. The pine was on a ledge, on a 80 percent slop 6000 ft. up.(the tallest tree I've ever climbed 6050 ft. Way cool, and yes I am kind of high siding. Now for the Worst job ever. Yesterday we were helicoptered to a rocky mountain top 11,000ft, We rappled down 250ft down a rocky slide 75 percent grade. The wreckage was like an accordion. The SAR team had been there the week before recovering the body's. At that time there had been snow on the ground. To make a long story short and admitting the grizzly details, beside the plane we recoverd 150lbs of what was once 4 people. I wasn't in the military or anything to prepare me for the sights we saw. I am happy I could maybe help the familys and I love the thrill of the whole thing, but never have I done a more horrible job.

I would like to say you get used to it, but you really don't. You just get experienced at it. When ever you feel the need to talk about it don't hesitate. Your peers will not think less of you. Most agencies have counseling available if required. My first rescue (recovery) still haunts me sometimes. Just remember to be discreet and respect the feelings of the family of the victims.

I'm on the local fire dept here and when we roll up on a scene with adults or children involved that have passed it can be gut wrenching. The way I look at it is, it's a job and somebody has to do it. Hang in there man.

Previous to my tree work career I was in the British Army for 12 years and saw active service from Northern Ireland to the Congo. My point is you never get used to that kind of thing, but as others have said try to think positive and always remember that you are doing a very important job that many others couldn't do.

Back