Would you climb this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How thick is the remaining trunk? If it is like a foot or better give it a shot. I would tie into the stems behind you and use something like a tear a way saw lanyard as your safety, just in case. I sure as hell would not rig anything off of that while you are spured in, just bomb it if you can. You can call a rental yard for a small towable lift or have them deliver something that will fit your need. Just be careful your gut instinct will tell you everything you need to know as long as you are listening. :cheers:

I dont even have the job yet. I still need to send in my bid. I need it sent sometime tomorrow. A lift rental will likely price me out depending on who else they get prices from. I know there are guys around here who will climb it. Simple job assuming it stays up.

bottom line is your unsure about it that should be a red flag. I know you want the job to prove yuorself that you can do it but it not worth bidding it low and getting ####ed in the process. Let someone else get it unless you can get it for the right price. Maybe you need the money and I understand that but what if something goes wrong you'll be kicking yourself. Bid it for a safe takedown and don't undercut yourself. Good luck

bottom line is your unsure about it that should be a red flag. I know you want the job to prove yuorself that you can do it but it not worth bidding it low and getting ####ed in the process. Let someone else get it unless you can get it for the right price. Maybe you need the money and I understand that but what if something goes wrong you'll be kicking yourself. Bid it for a safe takedown and don't undercut yourself. Good luck

If you did get and something went wrong its your name on the job. The home owner and neighbors will tell people so and so droped a tree on the house. Chances are nothing would happen. It looks like it would be less than 800., it might be better to move on down the road to the next job.

Drop it on the neighbors property, hopefully one of the stubs will punch a hole in the beloved driveway. I hate people who won.t help out in a pinch. What if you offer to plywood the drive way so the tires of the truck never touch it? Explain that its the only safe way,and there is a risk of death should the tree fail with you in it.

If taking the time to think about it and weigh my options and getting some other opions from folks on AS means I am "unsure" then I guess I am. But one things for sure...I have nothing to prove...I am far to old for that crap. I just wanted to hear some thoughts on it.

I would climb it. Like Natewood said. throw a line and tie it on the opposite side to counter your weight. Then throw a second line to the furthest point you'll be climbing and pull on the tree. Have two people pull it. If the tree takes it, you are good to go. Looks like a healthy wood that would most likely support at least 1000 lb.

"Looks like??" This post may be one of the dumbest things i've heard up here in commercial. (Of course, an engineer.):msp_rolleyes:

From the pictures, i wouldn't climb it.

Last edited:
Stop flaming Treeace and help him figure this risky bearcat out to a sold job

The law cases in Lew Bloch's book Tree Law Cases sure ring a familiar bell to me for this job. The options seem few and far between. Before I took to a lift bucket in 2001 I climbed. Based on what the four photos show, there's too much top weight up there to add the weight of a climber. One wrong move and it could snap mid-way up, like a barber-chaired felling cut because that's where the trunk has the least strength. Our industry is loosing too many workers and we must get smart about managing risk. Don't let the homeowner make you feel guilty about your fees and methods. Make sure your liability insurance is in force. The emphasis shifts to taking the tree from an equal or taller height. Visit YouTube for crane accidents and you can foresee what might happen here.
Think about a subcontract to a tree service that owns and insures their spider lift. It would be practical to reach the height but it ought not be used as a crane to lower the wood. To rope drop each cut will increase the time factor 3X. The photos don't show if the tree could be "wholesaler" to the ground without all the hassles.

What is the possibility the HO would offer the uncooperative neighbor IN WRITING, signed by both parties and notarized providing a deposit of $250 cash for access to their driveway with an insurance rider for liability and $250 more
cash when the job is cleaned up and complete, backed up by photographs. If anyone thinks this idea is crazy buy Mr. Bloch's book and get ready to shake yournhead in amazement at what happens when trees fall the wrong way. That $51.00 book was worth a $1,000 class on this subject.
Good luck and be careful TreeAce.

Is there anything in the front yard or am I not looking at it right? To me it looks like you could set a pull rope up in it and notch and drop from the ground. It kinda looks like most of the weight is leaning out towards the front yard, but maybe I'm not looking at the pics correctly.

possible solutions

I can't tell from the pics but you may be able to a) secure bullrope in crown, run rope through adjacent tree's higher crotch (strap&pulley, lowering device) base cut, let tree swing away from structure and lower tree under control b) secure bullrope in crown, use straps w/pulley to redirect to truck, base cut and pull to safe spot. It appears some storm damage has already fallen and may provide a spot to pull the tree into? A crane is my first choice. When I was young and needed money I did alot of unsafe climbing, Please if you have any doubts walk away.

I'd climb it. I did one just like that last year. I'd rig small, bomb stuff or cut and toss. At the very least don't butt hitch. Avoid shock loading. Tip tie or maybe speed line. When you climb to the split, examine it for cracks and further splits. If your really not sure just pass or find another way. Good Luck

Mike

I guess if I was 7 or 8 years younger, I would find a LZ and go up as lite as you can. Don't rig nothing, Only cut what you can handle and weigh your decisions as you go. Also, 'do you think you can safely ride it down if it fail's? I would for sure bid that in. Probably when you get to the weak spot and the ground guy's are scrambling to get debris that flung over the next door guy, you could be cutting and throwing. Then the call the next day say's you broke a dog ear on their fence.
Sometime's it is better to ask for forgiveness than permission.
Jeff :cheers:

That is a silver maple, right?

I think I would climb it. The weak part has already broken off. The fork that split off wasn't contributing much strength to the remaining parts anyway.

Go up to the crotch where the top was broken or cut out in the past, tie off, and then come down a ways to cut off small parts below. Rope everything down. Work back up to your TIP, and then send it down in reasonably small branches.

Speedlining in the direction away from the lean should be pretty safe. I do like the idea about securing the tree against the lean with a ground anchor of some sort.

Once the top is out, no more worries. It will be much lighter then, and chunking it out should be plenty safe.

Last edited:
That is a silver maple, right?

I think I would climb it. The weak part has already broken off. The fork that split off wasn't contributing much strength to the remaining parts anyway.

Go up to the crotch where the top was broken or cut out in the past, tie off, and then come down a ways to cut off small parts below. Rope everything down. Work back up to your TIP, and then send it down in reasonably small branches.

Speedlining in the direction away from the lean should be pretty safe. I do like the idea about securing the tree against the lean with a ground anchor of some sort.

Once the top is out, no more worries. It will be much lighter then, and chunking it out should be plenty safe.

Are you suggesting he rigs off that tree.?

Yep. Just make the top lighter before you start catching big chunks.

That tree broke up during an ice storm, and the ice has clearly melted off without taking out the remaining parts of the tree. While that is no guarantee of structural integrity, I would count on it holding the small branches that would need to be caught. Ice is very heavy; much heavier than a climber and the small amount of force a careful climber would put on it.

You see, if he had posted a pic of that tree BEFORE the other half split off, nearly everyone would have jumped him for being chicken. That was obviously a weak fork, and was presenting the same rigging risk prior to the storm damage that it has now. It's just that we get in the habit of thinking a tree is safe because it hasn't split yet..

Shucks. It doesn't look that big or high, either.

I think it's assuming an awful lot to say the remaining part is just as strong as it was before the tearout.. even though I was kinda thinking the same thing. Not the same when you actually gotta be the one to go up the thing. The last pic gets my armchair spidey senses going.. lol.

I can't tell if thats a red or a silver. Either way, that's some weak wood to begin with.

The support lines were probably the best idea here... maybe do a pull test with the lean and see if you can get it to flomp down on the guys house. I'm sure he would understand.. :laugh:

Hard to tell from the pics. I've climbed similar ones, but without being there it is difficult to be sure. There doesn't seem to be much wood at the split. If that is the case, bid it with the price of a lift and if you don't get it, move onto the next job. If money/work is that tight, ask yourself..."would I do it if I was busy?"

Best of luck.

If I have time today maybe I will stop by the tree and take some more pics. Not sure I will be able to though. There is def room under this tree. I am leaning towards tieing it off in two directions and free falling some and roping some out small. I do know this..I am gonna bid it plenty high. More than likely I wont even get this job. It just depends on who else is bidding. I think someone will send a 20 year old climber up there and not think anything of it. A young climber who just doesnt have a clue and thinks his boss is smart and trusts him. I know of a couple guys like that around here. The tree is simple assuming it holds....but if not...well, death or serious injury isnt a for sure cuz its just not that high....but I sure the heck dont want any part of that crap...OBV.. We will see, I will do my best to give an update.

Latest posts

Back