Would you recommend I use these old climbers...?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeanBrown3D

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My (old) neighbor lent me these (so I can climb his tree, lol). Anyway, a tree worker gave them to him some time ago. Anyway, here they are, can I use them or is this suicide? The padding is foam, around 3/8" thick. Points are sharp, and they seem quite light. I have no idea if this is a good make or not.

Thanks for any advice,

Dean

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'd replace the straps and pads. And you may want to throw some boots on before trying them out:laugh: .

If you have to ask... Have they been dropped, run over, welded, bent, modified? an I don't know answer to any of these questions is reason to go buy a new set of climbers.

They're in better shape than the pair I have. Those sport climbers were I think designed for the non pro usually hunters to get into a tree. I saw a bunch of them go on ebay pretty cheap. They look like they would get teh job done. Don't trust old leather, it can fail at an inoppotune moment. I say get new leather, inspect for any obvious fault and then throw those puppies on! But find a spar that is going to come down anyway so as not to subjecta good tree to that kind of abuse. You'll see what I mean, the damage an untrained climber can do to a tree withs pikes is incredible. Also be sure you're either tied in or don't go up any higher than you'd care to fall until you're confident you know what you're doing. Have fun, I'm learning right along with ya,
J.D.

are theyadjustable? if so check the screws inside the pads buy some new straps yer air comp and some spray paint good lookin spikes(barring there not full of holes)and never climb higher than yer afraid to fall

They look like old Buckingham permanent/non replaceable tip climbers with aftermarket pads.
Make sure the tips are sharp, not too worn and held fast with no defects (movement, stress cracks, etc). Purchase new pads and straps, then adjust the height(with pads on) to be 2 fingers under your knee.

Go low & slow, double tie-in, and have fun.

If you will replace the straps, pads and steel you will have a pretty good set.

dakota said:
I'd replace the straps and pads. And you may want to throw some boots on before trying them out:laugh: .

Yep! ^^^^^ lolol (hey are that yer kid's feets lol) see if you can get some nice 1" felt, nice stuff and very durable. Other than that they look fine imho.

:cheers:

Serge

Put new pads and straps on them and if they look OK use them. You don't need to know the complete metalurgical history of a pair of gaffs to feel safe on them. The weak link will be the tree not the spikes. Use 'em.
Phil

DeanBrown3D said:
My (old) neighbor lent me these (so I can climb his tree, lol). Anyway, a tree worker gave them to him some time ago. Anyway, here they are, can I use them or is this suicide? The padding is foam, around 3/8" thick. Points are sharp, and they seem quite light. I have no idea if this is a good make or not.

Thanks for any advice,

Dean

attachment.php

attachment.php
Using someone spur and saddle is alike you are wear someone elses underwears. it good idea to buy your own new set that you KNOW you comfortable with. i won't borrow or used someone else equipment for several reason, it doesn't fit right, never know if it been abused, or modified, how old and how long it been used , when it time to get new set for safety issues.
Treeman67

Well there we have it then, pretty much an even distribution of opinions!

I think I am in more danger of some kind of violent in-the-night death from the wife, than from a climb accident, if I go out and spend $1500 on gear.

Who makes a decent steel pair, I don't necessarily need the $250 titanium jobs.

I use the buckingham steel climbers with the velcro leg strap that has the steel shank holder. I find this gives me the most comfort. However, even those hurt after 3 or so hours. Threre are many good products out there, you might have to try a couple to find which one works best for you.

For me, it is not the padding but the movement of the shank along your leg. My first set had the kind of leg strap you show on the previous post. I did not like those. My next set was the weaver super pads, these worked pretty well. Plenty of padding. My dog ate those pads so I was forced to get another pair. I tried the verlco buckinham pads. Perfect!!. They make them with or without a steel shank holder. I got the ones with the shank holder. This locks the shank in one place and limits its movement, also the velcro allows you to adjust the pad perfectly to your leg. If there is a vermeer dealer anywhere near you I would go there and try all of them on. Vermeeer has sherrill supplies at most of their dealerships. 16" climbing boots also help when in spikes all day.

I posted this on another thread but it pertains to this discussion. The pair of gaffs I use is from the 1960's ! I have changed the straps and leathers, and they still work great!!

DeanBrown3D said:
Kkottemann -

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/images/200/1667_w2.jpg

do I need any more padding than this? I keep reading that the felt pads are really good.
Depends on how much climbing you are going to do-a couple climbs a month and the pads shown in the link are fine, multiple climbs every day and the velcro pads are the way to go.

Back