wow seriously? this guy is a noooooob!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure why hes removing it. If it was to wholesale the tree to a lumber yard then maybe I can understand all the extra cuts in the beginning, keeping the tree as long as possible but it would have been much easier and faster to cut it up high then flush cut the stump if hes not cutting lumber.

Getting to the actual felling cuts, to start off with his notch was way to small to me.

nice little find thanks for sharing

Last edited:
what ever happend to the good ol humbolt cut or the danish pie or strap and release? go's to show you can have all the pro gear in the world but it doesn't make you a good faller!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ank9bKCR248

Did they ever get it down or is it still falling? lol That was so much cutting on that baby tree I almost started to feel sorry for them. (Almost.)

And tell me he wasn't standing directly under the drop zone?

Except for the fact that the canopy hung up in the rest of trees, what's the problem? This looks like a selective logging system, and judging by the accent, in France, in a plantation. Cutting off the buttresses may be local custom to meet the local mill standards.

I'm surprised they use the falling arm (whatever it's called) and don't have any backup wedges.

If that tree is so hung up that he can't push it over, a strap and release system won't.

Watch how people from other parts of the world operate, you may learn something new.

Did they ever get it down or is it still falling? lol That was so much cutting on that baby tree I almost started to feel sorry for them. (Almost.)

LOL oh yeah forgot about that. That was priceless

Would make a good commercial

Stihl forestry helmet: $49.95

Felling Lever: $85.92

Stihl MS361: $625.00

The lessons learned from idiots without a clue: PRICELESS

Except for the fact that the canopy hung up in the rest of trees, what's the problem? This looks like a selective logging system, and judging by the accent, in France, in a plantation. Cutting off the buttresses may be local custom to meet the local mill standards.

I'm surprised they use the falling arm (whatever it's called) and don't have any backup wedges.

If that tree is so hung up that he can't push it over, a strap and release system won't.

Watch how people from other parts of the world operate, you may learn something new.

I still say the notch was too small but camera angle can be deceiving

Why all the extra cuts in a sapling? Coulda dropped 10 trees in the time it took him to drop one.:givebeer:

Wierd.

He's gotta whole lotta "Different" goin on.

I'm all ears as to why though. There's gotta be a reason.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Don't be so fast to trash the French

From the accent, I'm pretty sure that was filmed in Quebec.

Just north of me here in France is a huge region full of farmed pine. They've logged it for over a hundred years, but in 2000 and last year these huge wind storms have leveled 20 to 30 percent of the trees as the soil is sandy and the roots are shallow. The market is depressed for the timber with so much of it laying around, but I'll tell you what.... these boys can cut wood.

I drove past about 100 plus acres of stacked pine logs near the port the other day, probably destined for China, but nonetheless it was impressive, and I've lived in Humboldt County and seen a few piles.

Funny thing, they use the same sawsd you pros like too, except they cost more here than in the US. Strange.

Pete

Why all the extra cuts in a sapling? Coulda dropped 10 trees in the time it took him to drop one.:givebeer:

the first cuts were to remove parts of the root flare so it doesn't impair with the felling cuts

Last edited:
LOL oh yeah forgot about that. That was priceless

Would make a good commercial

Would have repped you if I could mate. :cheers:

As to the video.....

No amount of ppe will protect you from your own ignorance. I nearly lost my lunch when he walked into the fell zone.

He had all that nice shiny gear and no tag line? If it is genuinely hung up the absolute first thing that comes out of my truck is the Falteimer and some 5/8 braid. 1 minute to insert and tie off. Saves you heaps of time and who knows, maybe your life?!?!?!?

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange: :cheers:

It might have been a technique class on how to bring down a big buttressed tree but they couldn't find a big one. AND, it might have been a class on how not to bring down a little tree ... it sure would have been nice, after all that time, if the vid showed it hit the ground.

Yes, he was in the drop zone ... CROUCHED DOWN ... just another part of a what-not-to-do class.

Oh yeah I always get right in the line were the tree is (supposed to fall to take a look and see what is going on):0

I really liked that part. :D Even this weekend warrior knows better! :dizzy:

As to the rest, dunno. If it was hung up in the canopy, shouldn't he have known that was likely to happen, and had a rope in it ready to go? Again, even this weekend warrior can see when branches are intertwined....

As for the low cuts, from what I've seen on other sites, that's just how they do timberfalling in some parts of the world. I get the feeling they use those timberlevers rather than wedges in other places, too.

I don't think anyone here was trashing the French, just merely trashing the technique the guy was using. Now, I couldn't see the canopy, but if it wasn't hung up, that was an easy notch and drop....

Back