wow seriously? this guy is a noooooob!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj0YJcsunt4

The info says it is near Strasbourg.

See now I would be scared to hold the saw like that. If the tip hit a part on the other side that wasn't cut the saw could pop out the back . I just don't think its good practice to go full bore without minding the brake in any situation whatsoever. Plas's 361 has a really cool feature that brakes automatically when you let of the throttle.

Also, I don't think the guy who was cutting that little tree was really doing anything stupid. Yeah he walked under the DZ but it looked like he was in control. Yeah he might have been a noobie but practice makes perfect. I really don't see any reason to make fun of the guy... but if there was you can bet I would be first to jump.:laugh:

wtf is that supposed to mean you ignorant yankee? you think we're all sister f'rs? he's probably you brother in law/ uncle from your mothers father/your dads side.

That clown with the 2 saws made me think of Deliverance and Duelling Banjo's. "I wanna hear ya squeal like a pig boy!" Wonder what sort of noise he would make if either kicked back...

wtf is that supposed to mean you ignorant yankee? you think we're all sister f'rs? he's probably you brother in law/ uncle from your mothers father/your dads side.

dude lighten up it was a joke dont be so sensitive. We ignorant yankees tell jokes like that. As I am sure you intelligent types from the south (mecca of our higher education system) well you all tell yankee jokes. Its all in fun no harm intended. Dont get your britches all in a bunch I take it all back.

Oh and by the way he cant be my brother in law.. My brother in Law likes men

Last edited:
Other than the feller not being fond of the chainbrake I saw this as a good drop Metals. Did I miss something?

Them pants are priceless. That crew must be a Muni or Government crew getting paid way to little and by the hour. Heart surgeons spend less time inspecting their cuts

Other than the feller not being fond of the chainbrake I saw this as a good drop Metals. Did I miss something?

Notch is half the tree. . . He takes 20 years babysitting the notch. . . He does that little weird "stand in front of the notch" to decide direction of felling. . . Guess I felt it was a really long drawn out ordeal for a 2 minute drop.

Oh, and they should invest in at least a 24" bar. (yes, I realize little bars are a European thing).

I found it all humorous myself. :dunno:

Edit: Oh, and the 1980's called and wants it's pants back. LOL

Last edited:
Notch is half the tree. . .

Yeah I hear you there. I have had this discussion with some very well credentialled fellers who teach 30-50% for the notch. I am not comfortable with it but it does work.

He takes 20 years babysitting the notch. . . He does that little weird "stand in front of the notch" to decide direction of felling. . . Guess I felt it was a really long drawn out ordeal for a 2 minute drop.
I think thats the problem with video cameras. You think you are quick until you film it....:) Still it was a big stick onto a paved area and the traffic control was good and it went exactly where he aimed so I was ok with the time taken.

Oh, and they should invest in at least a 24" bar. (yes, I realize little bars are a European thing).
Yeah that was kinda weird wasn't it. All that gear and a standard bar?

Oh, and the 1980's called and wants it's pants back. LOL
Now that is worth some rep!!

Yeah I hear you there. I have had this discussion with some very well credentialled fellers who teach 30-50% for the notch. I am not comfortable with it but it does work.

I've been taught to fall stubs with a large 50-60% notch. It moves the centre of gravity and makes it easier to fall. Because the stub is usually fairly short, the probability of losing control is less.

Open face and bore cut everything.

That is not true, the do teach cutting for yield so you will find humbolts in the classes too. Bore the face on veneer logs...

They teach how to read the tree and do the math on how far you have to wedge a tree to fall a leaner.

GOL does use bore cuts more then other schools, but it does have it's place in safe falling. If you are going to learn it right, then you need to do it often.

I know a couple GOL instructors, and they know how to handle a saw in the woods; especially when dealing with a lot of marginal diameter tall stands.

Granted there is a bit of over-veneration of Sorens, but then we see that in other schools too. They can sing "Sorens Says" kust as much as some arbo's sing "Shigo Says".

I've been taught to fall stubs with a large 50-60% notch. It moves the centre of gravity and makes it easier to fall. Because the stub is usually fairly short, the probability of losing control is less.

The problem I have with deeper notches for stubs as large as in the video is the loss of leverage with wedges. The shorter distance between hinge (fulcrum) and wedge (end of lever) can often result in lower lift as the wood gets compressed especially on softer stuff like conifers. I have seen a fair few smashed plastic wedges and planished or split alloy wedges from being pounded in to that sort of back cut.

What the hell are you guys talking about? Seriuosly. You cut what, 20-30 trees a year and now you critique people all over the world??? I'm headed out for the day, to burn a few gallons in some big fir. Have fun picking people apart with your little Stihl Half wraps in the GAY-RODGE...:ices_rofl:

My West Coast Brotheren, that's excluding you :)

Back