Wow.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Luckily not all of them!

No doubt these kids were fighting against the saw and against the tree at the same time.

I almost said ALL of them, but I know there have to be some guys who know what they are doing over there. I've only ever seen vids posted of the others though. Are there any decent vids of Euro falling tactics?

I should have made you guys a vid of the last tree I knocked over!
I'd be banned for sure!
I had to pull/cut a half dead 50' wild cherry, like 20 degrees leaning, from over a studio.
You guys woulda hada field day!
I was running back and forth between my track hoe and my chainsaw, got it standing straight, and then pulled it up and over, toward me, up hill!

:popcorn:

I should have made you guys a vid of the last tree I knocked over!
I'd be banned for sure!
I had to pull/cut a half dead 50' wild cherry, like 20 degrees leaning, from over a studio.
You guys woulda hada field day!
I was running back and forth between my track hoe and my chainsaw, got it standing straight, and then pulled it up and over, toward me, up hill!

:popcorn:

Big difference though: you had a real problem tree/environment to deal with.

These guys had a tiny tree, good equipment, easy access & no obstructions (or clearly nothing they were worried about flattening [including themselves, I guess!!])

As mentioned earlier, this should have taken 3 cuts, no wedges and about 1/3 of the time if that. Nice, clean, simple cut...instead it turns into an audition for France's Next Top Chainsaw Victim.

It looks like in one of their vids they got the old man involved in the action, and if he could'nt tell the saw was dull, then there's the explantion on where they learned to cut wood, they wood have faired better with an axe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxG0ryiCb8Y&feature=channel

Go to 2:20 minutes into the video, and watch the rest, the old man is struggling with the chain brake, priceless!

Last edited:
What did they do wrong? ha. ha.

It looks like he actually hit is lay though, maybe.

I think many Europeans use way to much gas when felling trees. They talk about the speed and efficiency of a short bar, but when it takes forever to put a tree on the ground that is a waste of fuel and time. There are trees that need to be bored or put extra time into, but with a little skill and thought, most trees can be felled with three cuts and no wedges, especially that size.

Low stump= more usable timber.

That's a bold statement on your behalf. I've seen vids enough about morons on your side of the pond that don't know what they are doing. Stupidity is universal and not limited to a particular continent. We of course have our weekend warriors but I've seen lots of pro's at work too. We hired a local tree company to remove a dangerous tree last year and I regret not shooting a vid of them at work. Real pro in every detail.

The generation of real loggers like you folks have in the PNW is a dying breed too, unfortunately.

Don't forget that in many countries over here you need to follow a chainsaw schooling before you even can operate one.

The only question I have is, WHY FILM IT????????????

I have definitely seen people who don't know what they are doing with a saw or that run dull chain but those people don't usually set up the camera to film themselves!!!!!!!

I think many Europeans use way to much gas when felling trees. They talk about the speed and efficiency of a short bar, but when it takes forever to put a tree on the ground that is a waste of fuel and time.

And my thought when I saw the video was 'why are they using such long bars, since they seem to be Europeans..?'

YMMV... :cheers:

I thought he was going to start praying in the beginning. Maybe it would have helped?

I'm thinking it might be a good idea for those guys to look up once in awhile? I mean, trees can be kind of dangerous when they fall and all.

Nah. Not looking up and just laughing while standing right at the base of the tree not ready to move is the best way to do it.

I mean, kickback or barber chair is definitely just a wives tale. :cry:

It looks like in one of their vids they got the old man involved in the action, and if he could'nt tell the saw was dull, then there's the explantion on where they learned to cut wood, they wood have faired better with an axe.

Go to 2:20 minutes into the video, and watch the rest, the old man is struggling with the chain brake, priceless!

I wonder how many chains they went through before investing in plastic wedges?:monkey:

I think that wedge save his left shin/leg towards the end of the show. Check out the boring cut!

Good thing he used his arse to line that one up. Which way did he think it was going to fall?
They lucky they didn't get a barberchair to the face!

Latest posts

Back