Wow.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamradio

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/Brand-New-Heavy-Duty-John-Deere-20-Chain-Saw_W0QQitemZ160036305853QQihZ006QQcategoryZ82240QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Wow. A 48cc saw with a 20" bar for buy it now of $300?!?! Crap, you can go buy a new MS250 for that, and have a better saw, in my opinion. I've never been impressed by John Deere saws; why not just go buy an echo? Who makes John Deere saws now? I thought it was efco. Can you even buy a $750 John Deere, like the listing says? If I were to spend $750 on a saw, first I'd look at STIHL, then Jonsered, then Husky, then Dolmar, then Echo. I'd have definately found something like that. How much more expensive is the John Deere stuff new than its echo or efco or whatever counterpart? It also comes with what I call the "idiot guard" on the tip of the bar. :D On another thought, didn't/doesn't John Deere own Homelite? Could that saw actually be a Homelite, and the tip guard thing carries over from Homelite? Does anyone that even cuts a couple cords of firewood per year keep that thing on the tip of the bar? Seems like a great hinderance, to me. Especially for brushing.

Deere did own Homelite for a while, but figured out that the Homelite consumer-grade stuff wasn't a good fit with the Deere name. Homelite is marketed by an asian firm now.

That saw looks for all the world like a Homelite saw of the Deere years, and while Deere dealers may have had a suggested list of around $300, mass merchandisers sold plenty of red ones for less. I doubt if the guy will get anywhere near his price, but I suppose its possible a collector will want the saw bad enough to cough up 3 bills. There weren't many of the yellow ones sold.

I know where there is a brand-spanking-new (JD green) super XL, but the owner won't part with it for anything near what it would be worth as a user saw, or even as a moderately desirable collector piece. His opinion is that there were actually very few of these out of captivity and is a rare piece. This kind of collector might be willing to pay a pretty price for the yellow oddball.

Back