Yeah sure, I'll get right on it.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junkrunner

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This afternoon as I was workin on a tractor, and this fella stopped in. He asked if I'm sellin wood? Sure am, I replied. I said I get 60 for 1/2 cord to deliver locally, and 50 if you pick it up.
So, then he goes into this big story about his bad back, things are really tight with the money, blah, blah, blah. He said here's the deal (he came to me?:msp_confused:) the guy I buy wood from brings me 8 full cords @ 90 dollars a cord. He said, now if you can match or beat that, I'll buy my wood from you.

I'm still try'n to figure out. WHY IN THE HECK I'D WANNA DO THAT.:dizzy:

i get customers all the time with stupid s..t like this..
just ask them do i look like monty hall? this is not lets make a deal folks!!!!:bang::bang:

further more the only reason some buy wood is because they are too lazy to get out and cut their own...stay the course dont give in,your price is too low anyhow. i wouldn't sell wood delivered for less then $200.00 a cord. sorry,
besides its probably the same jerkweed that just raised your electric bill or phone bill while setting behind his desk laughing...
do you feel it? i have no mercy when it comes to some people...
i have learned one thing in the automotive buis. is the customer you go out of your way to help out is the one that pulls this crap when they come back in the next time...wheres the cut off point? next they ask for free wood...:angrysoapbox:

I sell wood by the pallet for $50, my sign states " this pallet of wood $50, no negotiation, no stories, no dreamers, no time wasters, only call if you want to buy it for $50, otherwise move along " I have sold a fair amount and have had no trouble or attempted chiseling

This afternoon as I was workin on a tractor, and this fella stopped in. He asked if I'm sellin wood? Sure am, I replied. I said I get 60 for 1/2 cord to deliver locally, and 50 if you pick it up.
So, then he goes into this big story about his bad back, things are really tight with the money, blah, blah, blah. He said here's the deal (he came to me?:msp_confused:) the guy I buy wood from brings me 8 full cords @ 90 dollars a cord. He said, now if you can match or beat that, I'll buy my wood from you.

I'm still try'n to figure out. WHY IN THE HECK I'D WANNA DO THAT.:dizzy:

People give me a BS story like that and I ask for the guy's name and number that sells the stuff that cheap. I tell 'em I want to buy some at that price, too. That's usually where the conversation comes to a conclusion.

I call guys like this "how muchers". Their first question and primary concern is price. They are less focused on quality, service or correct measurement. My advice is to blow them off and concentrate on customers who realize the value of paying top dollar for a quality product.

When you say half a cord, is that 64 cubic feet, or 21.33 cubic feet...? Wit the price of gas and saws, I sure hope it to be the later of the two.
No it's 64 cf. Locally is, within 15 miles (roughly). I'm not joshin anybody. That's the going price here. And that's seasoned hardwood... I can run it another 15 mile and get 70/half cord. That's why I like THEM to come get it. I make the most profit, with the least amount of work. And I'm right about in the middle of the price spectrum here.

i have learned one thing in the automotive buis. is the customer you go out of your way to help out is the one that pulls this crap when they come back in the next time...wheres the cut off point? next they ask for free wood...:angrysoapbox:

I got the past 15 years in the auto repair buis and you cant be anymore right

No it's 64 cf. Locally is, within 15 miles (roughly). I'm not joshin anybody. That's the going price here. And that's seasoned hardwood... I can run it another 15 mile and get 70/half cord. That's why I like THEM to come get it. I make the most profit, with the least amount of work. And I'm right about in the middle of the price spectrum here.

I'll have a truck there some time tomorrow night for 13 cord. You going to load it...?:msp_biggrin:

you know i ran into this all the time in the custom hay business especially, the people say its just grass? why is it so much money? its just a tree cut up????
well people it take a hell of a lot of work to get it packaged up for you to take home with ya.
people always wanted hay for a $1.00 a bale but wanted alfalfa in full bloom with no imperfections...costs of fertilizer and baling equip, etc drives price up and then the fuel costs... no different in the wood buis. watch your costs, or end up out...nice guys finish last in this economy...

I musta missed the day in class when 128 divided by 2 SOMETIMES equals 21.33???:confused2:

Be nice when you explain that to me. I'm new here.

There are some that believe a "cord" is 4x8x16" rather than 4x8x4'. Half of one third of a cord is 21.33......$50 for half of a true cord is darn cheap.

I'll have a truck there some time tomorrow night for 13 cord. You going to load it...?:msp_biggrin:
I'll HELP load it! The only problem is; you won't be able to take it out of this state! (legally) The EAB still has us quarantined.

There are some that believe a "cord" is 4x8x16" rather than 4x8x4'. Half of one third of a cord is 21.33......$50 for half of a true cord is darn cheap.

ahhh, so some people are wrong. Gotchya. I'd call 4x8x16" a facecord, but it's still illegal around here to sell it as such (not that anybody seems to care as they all sell it by a "truckload")

I agree. $50 for half a cord is dirt cheap. I thought my area had reasonable wood prices and a cord goes from 120-150 (closer to the higher lately)

Heck yeah!! I can get ya outa here with the wood and a "bucket" of shine.. What kind you prefer corn or rye?? YEE HAWW!!! East bound and down.. loaded-up and truckin!!:rock:

i would like two hundred fifty gallons of corn....it makes goos fuel in the truck..:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

cord....face cord.

seems many of us mis-use those terms too.

but, if i wanted 18" logs, you still going to give me a "cord" that is now 54" x 48" x 8 feet? :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back