Yet another trimmer thread.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been looking at trimmers for a while. I plan to give my FS55R to my SIL and buy something more powerful with a longer shaft. The 55 has been great at over 10 years old and was used in my last rental management business a good bit but up here it is a little underpowered around this farm. It has always sort of shook at lower RPMs at times and while it is something I ignored, I want something really smooth.

I have an Echo dealer close, a Stihl dealer too and next town has a Husqvarna dealer.

————

I’m a Stihl guy so initially I was looking at the FS70 and FS94 because 2 cycle is so reliable. The shaft on the 70 isn’t really longer than the 55 and power is only slightly better. I’ve read some negative reviews on both.

4mix is the thing I’m not sure about. What’s the current thoughts on them? The FS91 and the bigger models look good on paper except the weight. How are they long term?

The 240 is just too much money.
————

The Echos look good on paper but I read they are down on power and seem to burn up flex shafts and bevel gears. Warranty seems to never cover these issues. I read over and over “never again”.

————

Husqvarna 535 seems to be a monster at over 2hp and is lightweight/2 cycle. It’s $500 but I like nice stuff that lasts. The 525 seems to be hit and miss on reviews but almost universally the 535 is loved.

OK, what says the hive about this?

I've never had an echo trimmer but my FIL and BIL both do and neither have given any trouble. Granted they are homeowners of 5 acres or more but not every day pro use. Not sure of the model numbers.

Whichever you get, add the limbsaw attachment. I’ve got a Husky that’s at least 20 years old. Used it today. It’s strong and tough.

I have a Stihl FS-56 which I hated until I replaced the carb this spring and installed an Echo Speedfeed head. 15 minutes to a much better trimmer.
I also bought an Echo SRM225. The balance is better than the Stihl... though that is a personal judgement.

I have a Stihl FS-56 which I hated until I replaced the carb this spring and installed an Echo Speedfeed head. 15 minutes to a much better trimmer.
I also bought an Echo SRM225. The balance is better than the Stihl... though that is a personal judgement.
That's the trimmer I have. I'm not a fan either. It's not very comfortable to use.

I bought the same trimmer on clearance a few years ago and its getting to the point where the carb either needs rebuilt or replaced. Mine has the handle bars. I don't have any issues running it for extended periods of time, but I do HATE the bump feed head on it. I'm always snapping one or both of the lines off just inside the head even if I'm not hitting anything with it. I mainly use mine to to clear paths in the woods for getting to my deer stand. Now that I have a tractor and bush hog, I don't use it as much. It's just a little on the small side to run a Forester brush blade. It will run the blade, but I think its hard on the drivetrain. I don't use mine a ton, so if it craps out I'll probably get a bigger Husky clone from Famertech and see how those hold up.

For around the house, I just (yesterday) got a Milwaukee Quiklok string trimmer. Haven't had a chance to install the guard and use it yet, but I have high expectations for it. I have a gas powered Stihl pole saw (basically same as my FS56) and it does fine so I probably won't get the pole saw attachment. I probably WILL end up with the edger, hedge trimmer, and rubber broom attachments.

I bought the same trimmer on clearance a few years ago and its getting to the point where the carb either needs rebuilt or replaced. Mine has the handle bars. I don't have any issues running it for extended periods of time, but I do HATE the bump feed head on it. I'm always snapping one or both of the lines off just inside the head even if I'm not hitting anything with it. I mainly use mine to to clear paths in the woods for getting to my deer stand. Now that I have a tractor and bush hog, I don't use it as much. It's just a little on the small side to run a Forester brush blade. It will run the blade, but I think its hard on the drivetrain. I don't use mine a ton, so if it craps out I'll probably get a bigger Husky clone from Famertech and see how those hold up.

For around the house, I just (yesterday) got a Milwaukee Quiklok string trimmer. Haven't had a chance to install the guard and use it yet, but I have high expectations for it. I have a gas powered Stihl pole saw (basically same as my FS56) and it does fine so I probably won't get the pole saw attachment. I probably WILL end up with the edger, hedge trimmer, and rubber broom attachments.
Seriously, get an Echo Speedfeed 400 head. It is available in a kit with adapters to fit other brands of trimmer, including the Stihl.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-Speed-Feed-400-Universal-Trimmer-Head-99944200907/204159249

Seriously, get an Echo Speedfeed 400 head. It is available in a kit with adapters to fit other brands of trimmer, including the Stihl.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/ECHO-Speed-Feed-400-Universal-Trimmer-Head-99944200907/204159249
Eventually I will. Had I known this a year ago, I would already have one. I don't use a trimmer much. The purpose of getting a battery powered one is to make it easier to trim along the front and 2 sides of the house, and around my shop at least once a month. If I'm going to do much more than that, one battery isn't going to be enough so I'll get the Stihl out. I'm guessing I'll do that 2 or maybe 3 times a year. Next time I have to use it, I'll get frustrated enough to pull this thread up on my phone and order one before I come back in the house.... :)

Personally I'd avoid 4 stroke as the engines tend to be heavier for a given power. I am generally a Stihl person too, but the power Husqvarnas (535 and 555) are excellent with minimal vibration. There is nothing that frustrates me more than an underpowered Brushcutter or trimmer (for your application) so I like to have two machines - a 45cc or 50cc for the heavy tall grass and a 25cc or 30cc for the neater work.

I had pretty much decided to buy a Husqvarna 525LK (type that will take different attachments) which has the same engine as the 525LS. I wanted the little cultivator attachment as well. I had gone by my local dealer yesterday and looked at it, handled it and decided to sleep on it.

I went by today and noticed the tag with the price was missing. I had taken a photo of the tag and price the day before. I asked about the trimmer and after a few minutes was told the price was 449.99. 😡

IMG_1245.jpeg

I told him about the tag from the day before and I was told the price was for a difference trimmer and was incorrect. Guess the mystique of the small town dealer is BS.

So I will pay more for a Stihl 94 kombi setup just for principle.

At 25cc, that’s pretty underpowered, the bottom of the range i’d consider useable - just for delicate tidying grass around a domestic garden of <4 inches.

it depends what you mean when you say you want ‘a bit more power’, but I’d consider something around 45cc.

I'm closing in on 10 years on a 91r. Personal use, around the house and outbuildings, pond, and 50-60 trees 2-3 times a year.
It's been flawless. Starts on 1-2 pulls. Makes what I consider to be pretty good power, it will cut through knee high grass (not brush) pretty efficiently.

Whatever you get if you want longevity buy something with a straight shaft.

straight shaft and speed feed -definitely agree with those
also prefer husky but I can certainly understand your feelings towards that dealer
Sort of hard to believe he would not match the price of the day before - that sounds like a Sthil dealer from what I have always experienced.
Maybe Echo?

At 25cc, that’s pretty underpowered, the bottom of the range i’d consider useable - just for delicate tidying grass around a domestic garden of <4 inches.

it depends what you mean when you say you want ‘a bit more power’, but I’d consider something around 45cc.
A 45cc trimmer? 😅

The OP did say they were after a machine for the ‘farm’ and more powerful. But yes I admit I have a pathological hatred of underpowered trimmers/weedwackers/strimmers/bushcuters. A big engine just gets the job done quickly without the fuss.

The OP did say they were after a machine for the ‘farm’ and more powerful. But yes I admit I have a pathological hatred of underpowered trimmers/weedwackers/strimmers/bushcuters. A big engine just gets the job done quickly without the fuss.
Can you recommend a 45cc trimmer?

+1 on the echo speed feed head. Game changer. I have one on a makita gas 4 stroke (true 4) and it's a joy. Thing cuts most tall grass at just above idle and is liquid smooth. Also have a 4mix stihl and a small redmax 21cc wand...like them all for different reasons. But if I only could have 1 it'd be the Makita

Hey muddy do you use a 500i for limbing?

😂

I got a fantastic deal on a like new KM91R and BG56 (didn’t need another blower but 🤷🏼‍♂️) from a fella who passed. Family is selling stuff. 4mix is new to me but it runs excellent and I used it enough to see that the torque is amazing.

Anyway thanks for the suggestions.

IMG_1257.jpegIMG_1258.jpegIMG_1259.jpeg

Now I plan to get the cultivator attachment to keep the garden weeded.

😎

Back