You all need to recycle your carburetor based chainsaws and get the 500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 500I and in your bare shelves world and the 500 failed I guess since I keep more than 1 saw in my inventory if it failed I could use my 260 pro , 032 , 056 , 066 , 661or even my Mac 250.
Why do so many people think if you buy a 500 I its the only saw you would keep. I've always made sure to have a backup to be able to cut out my biggest saw.
If you could only keep one car would it be a prius or a yugo
I think most people have more than one saw with them. That's not the point I was making. If it dies in any setting firewood or pro the warranty is ****. Your not working on it with all the computer crap in it. Now since you can't work on it more money is going out. And it's either sitting or waiting to be worked on instead of ordering a carb kit and back at it. Or its too expensive to fix computer chips when they go bad are not cheap might as well buy a new one and it goes in the corner or buy a new one. Have you tried to get a service call lately or anything for that matter. Good luck, If you can't do it yourself it's not getting done nowadays.

Chasing the cut so it dont Barberchair.
Yeah, OK, but none of the saws I routinely use have slow throttle response (or I wouldn't use them....). That's why they're all ported at least muffler modded. It's not like I'm getting bored waiting for them to spool up, and I've never felt like it was so slow it put me at risk. So if the injection system makes it snappier, it can't be by all that much.

To be honest keeping up in the back cut seems more like an issue of cut speed after the rpms get up - does it have the power to keep up the rpms while the chain is (hopefully) biting well?

Yeah, OK, but none of the saws I routinely use have slow throttle response (or I wouldn't use them....). That's why they're all ported at least muffler modded. It's not like I'm getting bored waiting for them to spool up, and I've never felt like it was so slow it put me at risk. So if the injection system makes it snappier, it can't be by all that much.

To be honest keeping up in the back cut seems more like an issue of cut speed after the rpms get up - does it have the power to keep up the rpms while the chain is (hopefully) biting well?
The 500i most CERTAINLY has enough ass to keep up in the cut!

This chain is in bad shape but it gives you an idea
5d0acb4f2200b368efb6f81cac460712.jpg

Here’s the face of that same tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think most people have more than one saw with them. That's not the point I was making. If it dies in any setting firewood or pro the warranty is ****. Your not working on it with all the computer crap in it. Now since you can't work on it more money is going out. And it's either sitting or waiting to be worked on instead of ordering a carb kit and back at it. Or its too expensive to fix computer chips when they go bad are not cheap might as well buy a new one and it goes in the corner or buy a new one. Have you tried to get a service call lately or anything for that matter. Good luck, If you can't do it yourself it's not getting done nowadays.
Trucks and cars have chips.

500i is a great all-around saw. Longevity etc. will be known soon. I got over my fears of the "new" after checking up on the FI concrete saws. I then bought mine and am glad I did. Is it a perfect saw, no. Should you buy one and sell your herd, no.

For me, my herd gets used less and less. Being a firewood cutter, I always pack a second saw. If falling 24" and above, I use the 500i and a similar displacement old MAC that cranks just as easy and runs great despite its age. It depends upon my mood which is the back up. More and more it is the MAC. For general use, I always take the 500i and either an 036Pro or a woods-ported 361. Even when it is all small stuff, I find I reach more for the 500i than the 60 cc Stihl.

The 500i has a nice broad torque range that comes in handy when chasing a cut, experiencing a bind or running that chain that is marginal.

Does any of this mean the title to this thread is correct? Not at all. But I would not doubt that FI represents the future whether we like it or not.

Ron

Trucks and cars have chips.
Yup sure do and they fail right and left and you take it to the dealer and they tell you bull to get your money and Maybe that's a big Maybe youll get your vehicle back a month from now. Why would you want that in a saw. Take it to the dealer and he tells you the blinker fluid connected to the canuter valve took a crap and proceeds to butt ram you the price of a new saw. Expecially because it's not like it has a backup camera or heated seats it functions like, well a chainsaw. I didn't see anything in that video that any muffler modded woods port can't do.

Yup sure do and they fail right and left and you take it to the dealer and they tell you bull to get your money and Maybe that's a big Maybe youll get your vehicle back a month from now. Why would you want that in a saw. Take it to the dealer and he tells you the blinker fluid connected to the canuter valve took a crap and proceeds to butt ram you the price of a new saw. Expecially because it's not like it has a backup camera or heated seats it functions like, well a chainsaw. I didn't see anything in that video that any muffler modded woods port can't do.
Well It seems if it failed you could buy the parts and fix it like any thing. I see what you are saying though, but I am willing to fix it if it breaks just like I do with my trucks or anything else .

Well It seems if it failed you could buy the parts and fix it like any thing. I see see what you are saying though, but I am willing to fix it if it breaks just like I do with my trucks that had issues.
No I'm fully for that but they make the software to get into it proprietary that's my issue you can't plug it into your laptop to do the work or diagnostics without the software. If you could do it yourself I'd be all for it but they are making it where you need them to fix it.

No I'm fully for that but they make the software to get into it proprietary that's my issue you can't plug it into your laptop to do the work or diagnostics without the software. If you could do it yourself I'd be all for it but they are making it where you need them to fix it.
Im thinking just bolt on the suspect part. Once they start failing it will become known what fails and the symptoms of it. There are some Stihl techs and other good mechanics on this site that would offer some info up just like any other saw. Well I bought one so im all in at this point. I have plenty of back up old school saws so. Sit back and watch for a year or two and then make a judgement. I will be happy to test it out and there is no way I would let it outsmart me . The only way I would have a problem was if parts are unavailable.

Im thinking just bolt on the suspect part. Once they start failing it will become known what fails and the symptoms of it. There are some Stihl techs and other good mechanics on this site that would offer some info up just like any other saw. Well I bought one so im all in at this point. I have plenty of back up old school saws so. Sit back and watch for a year or two and then make a judgement. I will be happy to test it out and there is no way I would let it outsmart me . The only way I would have a problem was if parts are unavailable.
I can respect that.

These comments on this thread are a good reason why Mtronic/Autotune are a great thing for most guys...
Sluggish saw is a tuning problem. Never had a lazy running saw.

These comments on this thread are a good reason why Mtronic/Autotune are a great thing for most guys...
Sluggish saw is a turning problem. Never had a lazy running saw.
A lot of saws get tuned way rich to be "safe", and that does make them poky.

That's my thoughts as well. The crude injection system on the 500I has little to no advantage over Mtronic.
The one advantage would be cold weather operation. No frozen carbs, but that only happens in a rare combination of temp and humidity anyways.
It is significantly more powerful. Time will tell if it is more reliable or less so.

And you will actually pay more for a woodsported saw than a 500i

Back