Your best deal on a saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acme0007

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Tried a search but too many words I guess.
Now that I am in a posting mood. What is the best deal you ever got on a saw? One morning driving to the first Job I spotted something on the curb, whats this a husky 455 with a nice 20" b&C. I could tell that it had been there all night because there was dew all over it. I asked around and nobody claimed it so It sits on the rack.
By the way It's my loaner big saw, not real impressed.

Bought an 041 running with bar and chain for $50. Cleaned it up and advertised it for $170. Sold it for $70 plus a MS 460 that needed to be gone thru. So I only have about $200 in a saw with a new P+C, crank bearings, seals, and carb kit.
:greenchainsaw:

This free Husqvarna 266XP, found curbside on garbage day.

IMG_1970.jpg

IMG_1972.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

Pioneerguy600

Wow, was there anything wrong with it?

It did have a problem, it cost only my time to figure it out. I have posted this saw a few times and we did a question and answer on the problem. It was the only time I have ever seen this problem on a saw. In the carb on the metering side there was a small piece of the diaphagrm gasket, the little piece punched out for the machine screws, it was floating around free and had found its way over to the outlet bore for the H jet, when the throttle was pulled open this little piece of gasket would be sucked down hard onto the orifice and stop the flow of fuel. The saw would shut off just like a switch had been thrown but restart when I tried to drop start it in 2-3 pulls and would idle fine. Once I opened up the carb and removed the little floater the saw has run excellent ever since.
Pioneerguy600

Jerry......I can't believe that deal on that sweet 266!! That saw makes my 266 look like a complete piece of crap.

I guess I can`t really call it a deal since there was not 2 parties involved but I did sure feel lucky for a couple days. It still looks the same as the day I found it, I run one tank of gas through it and put it away, I have not seen it in 2-3 tears now, just don`t use it.
Pioneerguy600

I guess I can`t really call it a deal since there was not 2 parties involved but I did sure feel lucky for a couple days. It still looks the same as the day I found it, I run one tank of gas through it and put it away, I have not seen it in 2-3 tears now, just don`t use it.
Pioneerguy600
Isnt that saw abuse? :)

the local non stihl or husky dealer saw and small engine shop has give me two saws in the last month. the first was an 044 with bad crank, i tore it down and did it back with new bearings seals piston etc and sold it for 400 to a as member that is very happy with it, i have the second saw he gave me on the bench now .it is a 257 husky, it just needed the carb built and a new filter. i wish this guy was a stihl ,husky or dolmar dealer. he is awsome but cant get the parts i need directly.

Latest posts

Back