Your opinion of best firewood chainsaw for homeowner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...snip...If U stay on-line here, I don't know how long your will power can resist the temptations of a pro saw:numberone:. Best to stay away from those articles:reading:.

What are you talking about?

I've been a member here about a year, and I've only gone from a single saw (MS250) to SEVEN :dizzy:(including 562XP, 395XP,...). That's not a problem, is it? Of course, there's also the two Husky 51 "project" saws that are in pieces on my bench. :rolleyes:

What are you talking about?

I've been a member here about a year, and I've only gone from a single saw (MS250) to SEVEN :dizzy:(including 562XP, 395XP,...). That's not a problem, is it? Of course, there's also the two Husky 51 "project" saws that are in pieces on my bench. :rolleyes:
:laughing:

I agree with a couple of the posts above. The ms250 has a good weight to power ratio. It has became my go to saw recently. I also like the echo's I was considering a cs600 until I stumbled onto an old pristine homelite 925XL.

I have only ever used Stihl's so can only comment on them. I have nothing against Husky's and recon they are great too but I just know Stihl's so its what I use.

I started out with an 039 for firewood, which is your 290's big brother with a 64cc motor.
I modded the muffler and it goes like stink. It handles a 30" bar if you take your time so I will concur that if you want one saw for firewood, something around 60cc is where the money is!

I got curious about modifying my 039 for more power to drive the big bar as cutting big 4 foot thick eucalyptus with a small saw is like carving stone with a plastic spoon. I ended up buying an 066 Magnum as I was going to kill the 039 and its oil pump wasn't rated to supply the big bar with enough oil.
WOW...... what a machine! about 10 to 20% heavier but double the power.
I was officially sold on the pro saw idea!

I have now bought a Stihl 026 which is a pro 49cc saw that I will use for limning and smaller trees. The 066 eats anything over 8" like its butter.
I am now going to sell the 039, as much as I love it as I doubt it will get fueled up again.

Considerations:
I am fortunate enough to be able to repair most anything myself so its only cost in parts, and I enjoy fixing things, but if you cant or dont want to, buy new! IMO Second hand saws are worse than second hand cars!
To choose a saw, consider what size and type of wood you will be cutting and also volumes.
If you cut smaller wood under 18 to 20" thick, your 290 will do that job fine.
Do some googling on muffler mods and when you have drilled out the holes, tune it or take itto a dealer to have it tuned properly as it will run leaner with the increased air flow and may kill it.

If you will be cutting large timber regularly, you may want to consider a larger saw for the hard work and something smaller to zip through all the small bits without wearing yourself out, although from what I have seen, timber in much different here in Australia. Half the work is limning out which is not something I want to do with an 91cc 066 Magnum.

Then you will start reading more here........ you will want more power......... you will buy a compression tester......... then start learning about porting, measuring squish, polishing transfers...........

RUN!.............. RUN FOR YOUR LIFE

Will a dealer 'match' the Home Depot price for the Echo ms-290 or is that unusual? Actually, if a dealer would tune it, and I guess surely he would, I wouldn't mind paying a little extra but a large difference would give me cause for pause, especially since I have not been too happy with my repair story of late.

If I don't get the ms-290 set to my liking, I am eyeballing that Echo cs-590.

First post, I apologize if I missed the new member introduction but I did not see a section for that.

Just purchased a MS 271 Farm Boss for this exact reason. I do not heat with wood and use it to clear the woods behind my house of saplings and cutting up already dead trees for the firepit. Has a 20" bar and it runs well. Would like to have an adjustable oiler but it hasnt been an issue yet. I dont see much love for the 271 farm boss.

Another vote for an MS 250. With a 7 tooth drive sprocket it is a very efficient saw. At the end of a long day you will find it more comfortable than the heavier saws. No question that it will not cut as fast as a larger saw, but for firewood it has a very good weight/power combination. I have an 038 Magnum Stihl, but will grab the 250 for 90% of my cutting. W. Jones

IMHO the MS290 is a bit heavy, but it's a very durable saw, and can take a lot of abuse in unskilled hands.:yes: Lots of farmer have more than one at any given time. I like my MS 211, but it may be a lil small for your liking. .

See my saws in my sig. I tend to go to the MS 210 for a lot of the cutting I do also, as most is under 12". Keep the chain sharp, and it does a good job. I cut about 5-6 cords a year. The MS261 I have is for the occasional bigger wood I get into, such as some 30" ash I was given, as well as a falling saw. Got a great deal on a used one, so I couldn't pass it up. Lots of difference in size, weight and power between the two saws, but I prefer the MS210 most of the time.

First post, I apologize if I missed the new member introduction but I did not see a section for that.

Just purchased a MS 271 Farm Boss for this exact reason. I do not heat with wood and use it to clear the woods behind my house of saplings and cutting up already dead trees for the firepit. Has a 20" bar and it runs well. Would like to have an adjustable oiler but it hasnt been an issue yet. I dont see much love for the 271 farm boss.

Howdy! I don't think too many guys have them yet. I know I have never even seen one, local stihl guy went bust. I'm sticking with huskies and old poulans mostly.

Husqvarna 445 mine has been bullet proof. Will pull an 18" Stihl chain nicely. I bought an Oregon pro lite bar 3 years ago for it couple hundred cords later same bar.

My Dad is about 68 and has cut his own firewood for most of those years. He has owned many saws including a MS-290 and he will pick up his Husqvarna 445 for 90% of his cutting work. I am not saying it is for you but it is pretty light, runs a 16" bar great and can pull a 18" (especially with narrow kerf). With primer bulb and decompression release they are easy to start. As others have mentioned, the Stihl MS-250 is a similar sized saw and are pretty dependable also. Since you are already familiar with the way Stihl saws handle and their controls, you might like this one. I prefer Husqvarna saws but I work on my own. If I were in your situation, I would go to a dealer with a dedicated service / repair shop who employs people who know how to work on saws (reguardless of brand). Even finding a replacement bar or chain can be a challenge at the big name stores. One note worth mentioning on the Echo brand is that they have a 5 year consumer warranty. This is pretty amazing in today's day and time. Some Echo dealerships have a repair shop at the back too. I do not own any Echo saws but the dealers I talk to seem to get very few brought back for frequent repairs. The 590 is a great price point but if it seems a little heavy, check out the 490.

Lots of good advice here. best all around chainsaw for moderate amount of use is one that will run a 20" bar. Those saws will also run a 24" bar skiptooth if needed. That was my one saw stable back when I started in 1976. Many years later before I started adding saws. My 'go-to' is still a saw with a 20" bar. All the others in the stable are 'purpose use" saws, i.e, MS192T for brushing, MS441/32" and 28" bars for the big stuff (rarely used for that but it has turned into one noodling fool with a 20" bar), MS361 with 24" bucking/felling. Still pack my old MS310 as a backup in case one of the others packs it in.

Yes, I am all Stihl. and one main reasone is the inboard clutch. Allows dropping the powerhead off when you stick a bar. Have had to do that more times than I care to recall.

Harry K

Harry K

Does the Stihl ms-250 have that?

If one were to buy an Echo or a Husky, does it not have the inboard clutch such that I could get it out? What do you do if you stick a bar? I have always been able to free my bar, but I have not cut that much firewood.

I keep gravitating towards a lighter saw. I see that the ms250 is 10.1 lb. There is also a 251 Wood Boss and a 251 CB-E and they get progressively heavier. Not sure what the major differences are.

I am not married to Stihl, I could go with Echo or Husqvarna. All three manufacturers have dealers within 45 minute drive. However, I am kind of intrigued with Stihl's 2-in-1 sharpening system, lol. Seems I could learn to use that. Hmmm... Stihl, Echo, Husky.

I am just thinking even if I get this ms-290 to run right, I might trade it, as for someone like me, a lighter saw might be better.

Does the Stihl ms-250 have that?

If one were to buy an Echo or a Husky, does it not have the inboard clutch such that I could get it out? What do you do if you stick a bar? I have always been able to free my bar, but I have not cut that much firewood.

I keep gravitating towards a lighter saw. I see that the ms250 is 10.1 lb. There is also a 251 Wood Boss and a 251 CB-E and they get progressively heavier. Not sure what the major differences are.

I am not married to Stihl, I could go with Echo or Husqvarna. All three manufacturers have dealers within 45 minute drive. However, I am kind of intrigued with Stihl's 2-in-1 sharpening system, lol. Seems I could learn to use that. Hmmm... Stihl, Echo, Husky.

I am just thinking even if I get this ms-290 to run right, I might trade it, as for someone like me, a lighter saw might be better.
You don't have to buy a new Stihl. One of the best firewood saws I have is a Stihl 026 PRO that I bought used. Runs like a bandit and will pull an 18" bar. I imagine it weighs 3 lb less than an MS290. $220 got it on board.

I've got a muffler modded 290 and it does fine. Can pull a 20 inch chain without a problem. I also have a 362 and really enjoy using it. It cuts smoother and better, so I use it almost all the time now. I think anything over that would be great, just not necessary for occasional fire wood cutting. But IF I had the money to throw at it, a new 70 cc saw would be fun...

Latest posts

Back