Your opinion on this stihl rim

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Having zero experience with rim sprockets, my common sense tells me this one is shot. Am I right?

Tim

rim012.jpg

rim011.jpg

rim002.jpg

Agreed, not the worst I've seen on a running saw by a long shot, but they're cheap and worth replacing when they look like that.

You guys are part of the "throw away society" problem...everyone wants to throw stuff out before its completely used up...

Put it back on and run it till it breaks off (in an hour or so) then you wont even have to get rid of the old one, just install new and go!

:msp_mellow:

So how far are you supposed to take them exactly? Is this one well past where you think it should be?

So how far are you supposed to take them exactly? Is this one well past where you think it should be?
There is NO.."how far are you 'supposed' to take them?"

I wouldn't recommend going over 50% of original thickness.
Nothing good comes from it..!!..You're only gonna start eating your chain drivers..!!
In short order..you will also be needing to buy a new chain as well..Just Don't Do It..!!
They are cheap and easy to change-out...Sooo...Rule #1..."Don't Screw Yourself..!!"
:cheers:
J2F

There is NO.."how far are you 'supposed' to take them?"

I wouldn't recommend going over 50% of original thickness.
Nothing good comes from it..!!..You're only gonna start eating your chain drivers..!!
In short order..you will also be needing to buy a new chain as well..Just Don't Do It..!!
They are cheap and easy to change-out...Sooo...Rule #1..."Don't Screw Yourself..!!"
J2F

And there it is!:blob2:

Thanks for the advice guys. I will get a new one and keep that one with the chain and bar that went with it as a spare. I like to have a spare when clearing trails in case I get the good bar and chain pinched so I can cut it out, (or leave two bar & chains in the log :) )

(or leave two bar & chains in the log :) )
Get yourself an old ratchet car jack and carry it with you...

If pinched..hatchet out a notch to fit the jack into..jack up tree..free bar..!!

That's what I do anyway..I NEVER pull and pry with the bar..too much chance of bending..!!

Hope this helps..!!
J2F

The rim is due for replacement as soon as the drive link tips (assuming un-worn drive links) protrude through the bottom of the rim and contact the splined hub. Rims are cheap and spares should be on hand for immediate replacement when needed. Longer chain and bar life will result.

If pinched..hatchet out a notch to fit the jack into..jack up tree..free bar..!!

That's what I do anyway..I NEVER pull and pry with the bar..too much chance of bending..!!

Hope this helps..!!
J2F

Bending the bar and hurting the bearings on the crank.

Hope this helps..!!
J2F

Sounds like a great idea. I have one in the garage. It's really tough sometimes to see whether the tree is under compression or tension. The trees are almost always knocked down from wind bursts so the root ball is still attached. There is rarely a single tree down by itself. They usually come down in tangled bunches. I cut one 20 ft from the root ball lying across a trail and the 20 ft trunk stood back up again, straight as a die. Lots of spring poles. I've cut some larger hardwoods that didn't appear to be under much tension split 4 times along the trunk about 4 ft either side of the cut. The bang when it splits makes me jump. Keeps things interesting and me on my toes.

Here's a coupe of pics of what most are like (last summer)
t5.jpg
t8.jpg

Yep...same with me...!!! - One falls and takes 4-6 down with it..!!!!

Didn't used to be like this...seems especially just last few years...whatever reason..??

Last one year period has been a nightmare..!!!
J2F

Yep...same with me...!!! - One falls and takes 4-6 down with it..!!!!

Didn't used to be like this...seems especially just last few years...whatever reason..??

Last one year period has been a nightmare..!!!
J2F

The soil up there is mostly disintegrated sandstone and not too deep. For some reason we have been getting tons of micro bursts up there. I won't go in there anymore without a saw or you could get trapped. That trail in the pics was so bad it took 5 saws and an equal amount of helpers 8 hours to go 1 kilometre. Would have made 2 if we had the help of some guys under 30. The deadfalls were only about 50 to 75 yards apart

The rim is due for replacement as soon as the drive link tips (assuming un-worn drive links) protrude through the bottom of the rim and contact the splined hub. Rims are cheap and spares should be on hand for immediate replacement when needed. Longer chain and bar life will result.

Thank you!

Thats exactly the sort of handy tip I was looking for. I hadnt ever thought about the chain hitting the hub, but that makes a lot of sense.

Latest posts

Back