Your thoughts on a new saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never been a big fan of current Dolmar saws. Just my opinion. I much prefer the 346 or 261.
Any particular reason? Reliability, robustness, spares availability or just plain gut feeling?
You see alot more machines on your workbench.

one question, my 346xp(ported) has a blue coil, can I use the black one from an older 346 that I use for spares?
Number one is the rev limited coils, but now everyone is doing that. Additionally, I get better gains from other saws. Others have had more luck at that than myself. They're all good saws.

The only way to get Dolmar saws here by now is to special order them trough Makita - it may be about the same in the UK?

Last I heard, Makita OWNS Dolmar. So, partly, they're one and the same.

Hi Guys,
I know this sounds as if it should have been talked about. I was at a trade show last week and I am looking at a 50-60cc saw. I have seen soo many now and cant decide. Wont be used day to day but would like the best I can afford. I have an old 346xp ported which is now becoming iffy. Bar size? Probably no more than 20". I enjoy the wild ride of the 346 when it runs!
Any thoughts would be nice.
Paul

Don't know what you cut or how big you are, but I love my new MS 362 C-M with a 20" bar & Stihl yellow RS. Saw is very easy to start with M-Tronic and keeps getting stronger. Have about 6 tanks through it and it is starting to feel about as strong as my 044. I hear similar raves from folks with the 562 XP, so if you are want a 60 cc saw (which is what I would go for if you want a 20" bar), I would check them out. You can then rebuild your 346 and keep it as a backup. My only Mod was to remove the Muffler Screen (very easy).

Good Luck with your decision, I was where you are a few weeks ago.

The Amish loggers in my area all run husky xp saws they tried dolmar but said they didn't hold up because of a cheapened design . They say the Varnas rev higher and the stihl lug better at lower rpm .they swear by husky and tell of the extra rpm boost makes them get out of trouble alot of times in a deep cut .the Amish know what works and what puts food on the table their culture is all about saws from an early age so I listen to them on this. ..im in same boat as you and after hours of research and combing forums I think the saw to get is the 562 xp I'm no husky fan !!but a man has to weigh his options and sometimes swallow his pride based on my findings I think it's fair to say its a undeniable truth that this saw is performing like a 70cc with weight and agility of a 50cc and can be had for under 700 bucks at the right dealer . Doesn't do any good to buy a saw for 450 then have buyers remorse and wish you would have just ponied up a couple hundred more to get the one that you'll keep for 20 years instead of pawn off in a couple years . This coming from a Stihl guy

Last edited:
The Amish loggers in my area all run husky xp saws they tried dolmar but said they didn't hold up because of a cheapened design . They say the Varnas rev higher and the stihl lug better at lower rpm .they swear by husky and tell of the extra rpm boost makes them get out of trouble alot of times in a deep cut .the Amish know what works and what puts food on the table their culture is all about saws from an early age so I listen to them on this. ..im in same boat as you and after hours of research and combing forums I think the saw to get is the 562 xp I'm no husky fan !!but a man has to weigh his options and sometimes swallow his pride based on my findings I think it's fair to say its a undeniable truth that this saw is performing like a 70cc with weight and agility of a 50cc and can be had for under 700 bucks at the right dealer . Doesn't do any good to buy a saw for 450 then have buyers remorse and wish you would have just ponied up a couple hundred more to get the one that you'll keep for 20 years instead of pawn off in a couple years . This coming from a Stihl guy

I thought the Amish were still cutting by hand. Hey, if you are a Stihl guy, don't sell the MS 362 C-M short. It just came out, and I believe it is every bit as good as the 562 XP, and your bar will maintain compatibility and the start procedure is much simpler. Not to mention a few of those 562s are flawed. I hefted them side by side and it is very difficult to tell the difference. I believe they are both great all around saws.

The cm still will weighs more and the ergonomics on the 362 seem a little awkward compared to what I'm used to . And the concern it's very new still so I'm not sure of its longevity and if bugs are. Worked out where the early 562 needed updated with a different jet setting and theyfixed that issue on later ones. The 562 has rev boost that cuts peak rpm rev limit momentarily . It seems stihl offers a great line too but they are bulky and heavier and you'll pay 100$ more for a similar sized unit over other top contenders all our local stihl dealers around here are arrogant and won't budge on much for pricing

Paul , I bought my son a 5105 for his first saw ( he is 21) . He is more comfortable with the older style Dolmar 111 and 115i... They are a little slower but the 5105 is a very nice saw fast running and lightweight. Many people on this forum and other forums really like the 5105. I just sold it to fund a couple more projects.

My cousin had a dolmar. 5100 it was a great saw for its size considering it's displacement . Not 290 level power but revved out fast and held power in the cut well ..It eventually had electrical issues creep up and required a coil and some other things .. Good homeowner model too

Latest posts

Back