Your thoughts on a new saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
346xp went off today to Sir Spud. Hopefully he can figure out whats up. :(

Well, only the Huskys are really nimble and well handling saws, but of course not everyone cares....

I presume you have never operated a broken in 362 C-M, because if you did you would find it every bit as good as a 562. In fact, one member who has both actually preferred the 362 - the starting procedure is certainly simpler. The weight difference is greater in the 50cc class, but the 261 is said to have more torque, but I have never run one.

Also, my old 044 is as light and as nimble and as powerful as any pre-electronic stock 70 cc saw. That does not mean I do not have great respect for Husky 372s.

It is rare that there is only one brand of good saw in a class. Be a little more open minded.

Update on 346.
That seems to be solved. Air coming in around the manifold causing it to constantly go out of wack. Sir Spud did the job. Now I hope I will get the full value out of the 346xp.;) Oh , and I changed the coil from blue to black, so lets see if that makes any difference.

It seems stihl offers a great line too but they are bulky and heavier and you'll pay 100$ more for a similar sized unit over other top contenders all our local stihl dealers around here are arrogant and won't budge on much for pricing

You sir need to find another dealer.

Like Mine. ;)

Small update, I picked up a Dolmar 5000 used but in super condition. Plus the 346xp is running sweet. But I am enjoying the lightweight ms 192. After a scare with the flywheel and again help from Sir Spud its running sweet.
Any thoughts on the Dolmar5000? I was going to buy a new 5105, but the 5000 was a super deal.

For me it is getting value for money and the job done, not which brand. We will all have horror stories whichever one we buy!;)

Exactly. :clap: These are what i looked for in every saw i have bought. In the balance of things we always hear many times more of the bad experiences people have had with things they have bought that the good experiences. It's just human nature, plus as a consumer we expect something we have parted our hard earned for to work better than expected or complain a lot when it doesn't. Plus no 2 brands competing models are going to be identical weight, balance and feel. Peoples opinion is just that an opinion. Listen to them but, find something you like the feel of that does what you need it to do and at a price you are happy with. This is more important than German vs Swedish or some other nonsense.

Update on 346.
That seems to be solved. Air coming in around the manifold causing it to constantly go out of wack. Sir Spud did the job. Now I hope I will get the full value out of the 346xp.;) Oh , and I changed the coil from blue to black, so lets see if that makes any difference.

Good to hear it's been fixed. They are a wonderful saw. Definitely on a short list of the best saws ever made. I finally got around to getting one and i honestly would not part with it, willingly anyway. :)

Small update, I picked up a Dolmar 5000 used but in super condition. Plus the 346xp is running sweet. But I am enjoying the lightweight ms 192. After a scare with the flywheel and again help from Sir Spud its running sweet.
Any thoughts on the Dolmar5000? I was going to buy a new 5105, but the 5000 was a super deal.

Very nice score with the Dolmar 5000. Excellent mag case pro grade saw. The more numbers in the model for Dolmar the better. 2 numbers and it is a homeowner saw. 3 numbers and it is a landowner/farm grade saw. 4 numbers and it is a pro spec saw. The 5000 is just an older version of what is now the 5105 ( i have 2). As you can see in my sig i have many Dolmars. They are the only saws i have ever run from any brand that have not suffered from catastrophic unexplained failures at some point. Look after your saws well and you will have the PS-5000 and the 346XP for many many years.

I go all around the block with saws. At work and college Stihl 261 and at home well you can see. But you are right it just needs to get the work done. If you can´t sharpen your chain you are buggered anyway!!

I go all around the block with saws. At work and college Stihl 261 and at home well you can see. But you are right it just needs to get the work done. If you can´t sharpen your chain you are buggered anyway!!

You got that right. I honestly know people that would try to cut trenches in the soil when cutting branches on the ground. Then complain that brand ABC and chainsaw XYZ is a piece of rubbish because they had to buy a new chain from the dealer after 10 minutes of cutting. Shame on the dealer too for not explaining that you can sharpen the chain again after it dulls. :rolleyes:

Don't forget a $100 Chinese knock off saw with a properly sharpened chain will cut rings around any $1000 pro saw with a blunt chain or a chain put on backwards for that matter! :laugh:

I presume you have never operated a broken in 362 C-M, because if you did you would find it every bit as good as a 562. .... .

The Stihl is a heavier and bulkier saw, with an inboard clutch - there are no way it will handle as nicely as the 562xp, not to mention the lighter 560xp/2260.

The Husky saw are built with focus on handling, the current Stihls obviously aren't. The last Stihl saw that likely was is the MS361 - these days it seems like the engineers run the "show", without much inflence from any sawyers....

The Stihl is a heavier and bulkier saw, with an inboard clutch - there are no way it will handle as nicely as the 562xp, not to mention the lighter 560xp/2260.

The Husky saw are built with focus on handling, the current Stihls obviously aren't. The last Stihl saw that likely was is the MS361 - these days it seems like the engineers run the "show", without much inflence from any sawyers....

I have never honestly really 100% liked any inboard clutch saw from a pure handling and balance point of view. Would i sell all my Dolmar 5105's and my 7900? No way!

For pure handling and balance heaven it's gotta be a Husqvarna and preferably a 346XP! My brand new 562XP is still in the box so i may change my mind! ;)

Oh did I mention that the 346 and the ms192 came out of a skip....

There are reasons that the 056 MagII handles better than the 066/660, despite it is heavier. It has an outboard clutch, and Stihl knew what they were doing back then - something important has been lost along the way to the current Stihl saws.

There are reasons that the 056 MagII handles better than the 066/660, despite it is heavier. It has an outboard clutch, and Stihl knew what they were doing back then - something important has been lost along the way to the current Stihl saws.
Not related but how do work out the age of a husky 346 from the serial nr??

Not related but how do work out the age of a husky 346 from the serial nr??

Is it an original 346XP or a new edition one?

From the serial number, on my new edition it has the actual build year 2011 stamped on the small badge. On older saws i believe it is only the last 2 digits of the build year.

My cousin had a dolmar. 5100 it was a great saw for its size considering it's displacement . Not 290 level power but revved out fast and held power in the cut well ..It eventually had electrical issues creep up and required a coil and some other things .. Good homeowner model too

5100 is fo' sure not in the "same power level" as a 290.

5100 will cut circles around them gutless wonders!

006.JPG

Latest posts

Back