Youtube's "Wood Slayer"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An excellent video and a man with a passion for what he does. I like it and applaud him for his efforts. We just need to get him on AS and teach him how to make a proper face cut, and get him a proper saw:clap:

And whats with the angled back cut? I see a ton of stumps around here that have that tail on them. I don't get it.

That is his "insurance" that the tree doesn't rock back and go the opposite way. Of course, if he understood physics, he would know that 4" of wood is not going to keep the tree from going where it wants to.

An excellent video and a man with a passion for what he does. I like it and applaud him for his efforts. We just need to get him on AS and teach him how to make a proper face cut, and get him a proper saw:clap:

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Ok I re watched it, I think a few of us might be a bit jealous. He is doing what makes him happy providing for his family and getting some good excersize to boot.

I put a video up on here not too long ago of me cutting a tree down. I did expect alot of critisizm but didnt get too much. Mostly from the folks I expected it from.

I think he did an excellent job on the video. I have seen some tv that was worse.

We should be so lucky to have him as a member here. I would cut wood with him any day.

I appreciate him being a firewood family man and commend him for the quality of his vid, but all the drama music and the 'wood slayer' title he crowned himself with, does indicate to me that he thinks he's a hell of a logger. That dust producing chain ticked me off a bit :laugh:

I like the video.

I did not like the dust he was making. His chain might have been sharp but the rakers have never been lowered:mad:

I appreciate him being a firewood family man and commend him for the quality of his vid, but all the drama music and the 'wood slayer' title he crowned himself with, does indicate to me that he thinks he's a hell of a logger. That dust producing chain ticked me off a bit :laugh:

Yup...maybe the Monty Python "LumberJack" song would have been more appropriate.

The guy is well intentioned but basically clueless.

I thought the "wood slayer" title was kinda funny - I didn't take it seriously . . . and hope he didn't either. :msp_biggrin:

I think the whole thing was more a video exercise than anything else - and I think it was an awfully well-executed video designed to expose non-woods people to what its about (and what can be done by a weekend guy w/ a lil saw, maul and make-shift trailer). He poked fun at himself in terms of his poorly stacked wood and rickety make-shift wood hauler. I doubt he fashions himself as any type of logger - just a guy having clean healthy family fun in the woods on the weekends. I'm sure if he DID think he was the real deal, he'd have a REAL man's saw, like a Dolmar/Makita instead of that tired lil Stihl with the dull chain! :msp_w00t: His maul looked like an old Harbor Freight special, as well. Not exactly the stuff of a self-declared champion logger . . .

I give him the benfit of the doubt . . .

At the very least he had all the ppe he needed. I have seen videos of folks here cutting with nothing on including shorts and no shoes. Those would be the folks I would be worried about.

Who is that Expert Village idiot? Does he know that pretty much the whole tree care/cutting community thinks he is a hack. I really like that his pull line was ten feet up ( insert smiley shooting self ) like that helped. I really hope people who see that don't copy his mad skills.

I just saw this thread and killed day light hrs to watch it.
Think the guy doing good! His land, his wood with his kids!
Pro or novice, seems like a good neighbor!

Hey I am referring to the WOOD SLAYER!

Last edited by a moderator:
That expert village dummy make me think of Bob Villa's mad skills.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6N6rViWIzVY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Maybe some of the PROs here can get in touch with him and give him some lessons on how to cut firewood. :rolleyes2:

Good grief. He's just a normal guy doing something he loves to do. Alot of people are so quick to criticize. Well, maybe there was a time when you PROs were beginners too. Hey, I can cut a tree with the best of them, but there was a time when I could'nt cut butter.

I guess some of you guys were born with a chainsaw in yur hands though. :dizzy: Yea right.

Now the "expert" video. That does deserve a laugh.

That expert village dummy make me think of Bob Villa's mad skills.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6N6rViWIzVY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gotta love that. He makes me look good.

The dude is a HOMEOWNER on his property.He`s obviously not a pro.He made a nice video of himself and his family cutting wood together.Not everybody cuts wood for a living. I would rather rebuild a clamshel than split a case.Not everyone needs a pro saw.Actually, the saw sounded pretty good.

The 029's are a good saw but have you worked on one? You may change your "rather rebuild a clamshell" theory :D In this case the saw did seem to be running very well but a good saw also needs a good chain.

Maybe some of the PROs here can get in touch with him and give him some lessons on how to cut firewood. :rolleyes2:

Good grief. He's just a normal guy doing something he loves to do. Alot of people are so quick to criticize. Well, maybe there was a time when you PROs were beginners too. Hey, I can cut a tree with the best of them, but there was a time when I could'nt cut butter.

I guess some of you guys were born with a chainsaw in yur hands though. :dizzy: Yea right.

Now the "expert" video. That does deserve a laugh.

OK fellas and by the way I do not classify myself as a pro either. He seemed like a nice guy and all but consider this...

If I put my videos up on Youtube with stupid music, dramatic editing, called myself "Tree Killer" then presented myself felling a tree incorrectly (with an element of confidence mind you), with a poorly cutting safety chain I would classify myself, as would many others, as a knobhead. Remember that he isn't "just" cutting firewood, he's also felling.
It's not what he does, the fact he's cutting wood, or that he's a novice - it's the fact that he turned a simple weekend firewood job that in all honesty would have been quite interesting into an over edited, over dramatic, over done, Hollywood spectacle.
The Tree Slayer title said it all. That's just me though - other people obviously like the drama. Even if a logging pro made a video and titled it Tree Slayer I'd still think WTF...

Remember this isn't a personal attack on the guy, he's probably really nice, but to edit a video like he did in a "walking off into the sunset" type way when he's really nothing more than a typical weekend cutter made me laugh. He really isn't doing anything special which is why I'm so amazed that people have gotten so excited over the video. He's trying to add romance to a typical weekend task - he's obviously got too much time on his hands or works for a video editing software company...

I'm with you there and glad I'm not the only one who thought it :cheers:

The fact that he's basically making a documentary about how he gets his firewood, then butchers his face cut without even taking the care to do it properly (because he's filming it remember), would indicate he really doesn't know what he's doing. People may wonder why I've jumped on my high horse here but it always hits a nerve whenever I see people presenting themselves with a hole heap of confidence yet really have no idea what they're doing. Yes we all have to learn somewhere but we don't go making Hollywood spec movies and posting them on Youtube until we DO know what we're doing. If we do then we should expect negative feedback and criticism. If we were to all hold hands and sing and say that this guy's video is excellent then next thing he'll be doing a "How To Fell A Tree" series Part 1-4 on Youtube. More than likely he'll kill somebody but at least the editing will be top notch...

Last edited:
That video was painful to watch, burning the tree down. Instead of making vids. I suspect he should be watching some good instructional videos on proper falling techniques.

The 029's are a good saw but have you worked on one? You may change your "rather rebuild a clamshell" theory :D In this case the saw did seem to be running very well but a good saw also needs a good chain.

Not a theory.The first saw I rebuilt was a clamshell.I still feel rebuilding a clamshell from crank up is easier than tearing down and rebuilding a split case saw.Why do people think working on a clamshell is so difficult.Yes, throwing a piston and rings in an 044 is easy, but a total rebuild in either saw is a project.And yes, i`ve rebuilt both.My opinion, a clamshell is easier.Maybe not smarter, but easier.As far as the chain, it`s doing what it`s suppose to, supply him with firewood, nothing more.

I enjoyed all the video's. Nice job on that trailer and with no plans.:rock: I don't video any of my tree work cause usually I have to pee in the middle of the back cut and no one wants to see that.:msp_biggrin:

This aint the worst tree falling

I seen one far worse that has to sections.

Look up

How NOT to cut down a rotten tree
And
tree falls on my house

I spit beer at both of these.

Latest posts

Back