Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I've got 2 3400's, a 4000 and a 3800 that is going to get a NOS 3700 p/c transplant but I'd like to have a nice red and black 3.7 if the price was right.

How about a nice one that has been rebuilt, ported, muffler modded etc? Not sure about the right price. Might work a trade? 100_4315 (Medium).JPG You still got my number?

My wife and daughters encourage my hobby.

What they don't realize yet is it is going to have to become a two vehicle process. One for the actual wood and one for the armada of saws that accompany. I am shifting my thoughts from "how much wood can I cut in a day" to " how many different saws can I use". Catharsis?

What is a guy supposed to do?

last time I ran saws was 12... warmed up, few cuts each then run dry.... some had been sittin a while.

I did not mean to imply rebranded European Poulans if it came across that way, but rather their similar displacement German and Swedish counterparts of the era. An example would be the feeding frenzy I witnessed at a local auction not too long ago that saw a well used 041 go for a ridiculous $190. And an equally used white-top 61 go for similar. The locals were salivating and the auctioneer sold them based on their more modern pedigree.

No thanks. Call me when the Poulan scoffing locals go home and you bring out the old Green.

I need to find a site/book to read about the history of Poulan chainsaws. When they were founded, when did they stop making pro level saws, what are the most well regarded models, etc. Seems kind of sad how a seemingly good company that really knew how to build great saws are now known as a low tier big box chainsaw manufacturer.

Off topic. You think $83 is a good price for that 450?

No not really. That was my $81 bid and it was all I thought it was worth in that condition. As long as your happy with the price is all that matters.

Stephen is right though about that not being a beginners saw. Its rough and needs a lot. I hope for your sake the tank is clean and the felt is good in it as you will not find a replacement anywhere that I know of. I also hope the screws holding the tank side on don't snap on you taking them out.

That saw will need completely dismantled and gone through before you try to run it to prevent damage to it.

The corrosion on the magnesium parts need attention to keep it from dying from white death. I really didn't want to have to do a complete repaint, get decals made etc.

You know what, I don't know what the hell I'm doing on eBay. Could have sworn I bid $60 and made my max $80. Only see two people that bid on that saw though so not sure I did it right. Anyway, sold for $3 more than my max. Should have made my max a little more. I screwed up my other attempt at buying a saw with the rebranded Spiegel Poulan. I made three really low best offers and the seller refused each one. Auction ended and now the bidding starts at $138. I really need to read a eBay for Dummies book. Been about 5 or 6 years since I've bought something from that site.

From reading Modmark's post, I'm glad I didn't win. I have no idea what felt or white death means.

I need to find a site/book to read about the history of Poulan chainsaws. When they were founded, when did they stop making pro level saws, what are the most well regarded models, etc. Seems kind of sad how a seemingly good company that really knew how to build great saws are now known as a low tier big box chainsaw manufacturer.

Unfortunately there isn't a book specific to Poulans that I'm aware of. If there was, you can bet all of us would have one. :( I have a Poulan brochure that kinda goes into some detail of their history. Its in .pdf format. Don't think I can post it here, will try. Other wise, PM me your email address, and I'll send it your way.

Gregg,

Unfortunately there isn't a book specific to Poulans that I'm aware of. If there was, you can bet all of us would have one. :( I have a Poulan brochure that kinda goes into some detail of their history. Its in .pdf format. Don't think I can post it here, will try. Other wise, PM me your email address, and I'll send it your way.

Gregg,

Oh true lol. A book like that would be a Poulan fanatic's Bible. PM coming. Thanks

Ambull,
Here are a couple pics of "white death". This was a 5200 crankcase that was full of it. Moisture causing corrosion to the magnesium. It was full of it. This is after I cleaned it out some. No...it was not salvageable.

4000-5200022.jpg

4000-5200023.jpg

Gregg,

Ambull,
Here are a couple pics of "white death". This was a 5200 crankcase that was full of it. Moisture causing corrosion to the magnesium. It was full of it. This is after I cleaned it out some. No...it was not salvageable.

4000-5200022.jpg

4000-5200023.jpg

Gregg,

Damn, looks like someone spilled acid all over it. Never knew moisture could cause damage like that, other than rust. I don't know a thing about magnesium either. Also don't know why magnesium vs another type of material. So much to learn, so little time. I think it's time to buy that Clymer book or however you spell it.

... I think it's time to buy that Clymer book or however you spell it.

My local library has one book on chainsaw repair and a couple on homeowner how-to-use.

I find the one they have for repair is excellent. It is by Intertec and is the 10th edition. They have several older editions that cover many vintage saws. I don't know if it is the best place to start. But, short of an original service manual for a saw and/or being used as a supplement to other sources, it seems to help. It has helped me sort out some of my questions.

mrp3o3TBb0z-0M4kfpSj8Pg.jpg

Edit: I forgot to add they cover many different manufacturers and series in each edition.

Ambull,

4000-5200022.jpg

4000-5200023.jpg

Gregg,

Thats what that 450 is going to look like sooner or later if not taken care of soon. Who knows what the inside looks like.

Much as I want a 450, I'm not paying that much for one in that kind of unknown condition. I'll wait for another to come along in decent known shape and would pay more for one then if needed.

Back