359 port timing numbers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What exactly will bringing my exhaust up to 101 from the 105 I have now do to the saw and how will it perform cookie cutting in the wood???? Compared to now

I usually widen around 1/8" off each side. I've done 3-4 saws this way without a degree wheel and got real good gains. I'm cutting bases on a lathe now, but not the squish band.
Do I take the 1/8 off the intake sides as well on the width

I marked the piston with a pencil along the stroke of the piston in the port and no trouble taking the 1/8 off probably 5/16 there on the exhaust side before the skirt is open

Thanks everyone I am ready to get started now, if anyone else has any input or can think of anything else that will help me please post.
One more thing I have 2 - 359's this one was working and the other one I got tired and bored with waiting on parts to rebuild it, so here i am now with this one pulled apart but I have a meteor piston for the other one and have a Hultz one I got for6 bucks wondering if I should use the hultz on this or not will it be reliable, looking at it looks pretty good not sure if the metal is the same quality or not

I would leave the exhaust hight alone & not hog out the lower transfers much. There is a little power in raising the upper transfer a bit, I'd go about .030-.040". Just don't over do it.

image.jpg image.jpg Got my cylinder matched to my case where the gasket was didn't know how much to take to weaken it to much but lots there

I would leave the exhaust high alone & not hog out the lower transfers much. There is a little power in raising the upper transfer a bit, I'd go about .030-.040". Just don't over do it.
so I should leave my exhaust at 105 then.????
Right now my xfr are at 122.5* and you say I should raise them to 120????

I have a buddy of mine that I cut firewood with, that also has a 359 and I want to show him I can do this and when done will out do his for power and speed lol. and I would like to put a smile on mine and his face after its all done. bragging rights lol.
I do have a 2003 arctic cat f7 that's been ported not by me but tuned and clutched by me that I have won 700 improved with the last 2 years in 660 ft snow drags.
now if I can get this 359 ported right I will be happy with all you guys help Thanks and keep the suggestions coming.

Well everyone I need a moral booster this takes a while, I keep telling myself that there is good gains in this to keep going lol. That saw builders must have a lot of patience for this

Back