550XP's shipping this week!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course it will not, the differences between round ground chisel of proper design is marginal anyway.

Funny Niko!! I have several loops of square ground in my inventory, and more on the way ;).

How much 3/8 square have you run? BTW, it was a Swede that taught me how to square file nearly twenty years ago.

P.S.

Directly from Madsens square ground FAQ:

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Does square ground chisel chain outperform round ground chisel chain?

A: If cutting efficiency is what you are after, the answer is: yes. On most pro saws, square ground chisel chain#will cut 10% to 15% faster than round ground chisel chain. Its sharp angles sever wood fiber more efficiently that any other type of cutter tooth.

Last edited:
I've seen up to 30% increase in cut speed with square over round filed and ground chains. These were work chains not race chains. Hedgerow got the chain that was 30% faster than a round filed and round ground chain and got 3 tanks of use cutting and noodling hedge.

Somebody grab a new loop of each 325 round chisel with 7T and 8T and 3/8 round chisel with 7T and I if you can run a saw worth a **** in hardwoods I bet you find the same finding as I did :msp_tongue:. Do this on the 346 50cc and 550 too if you got them. :msp_w00t:

Personally I think RSC would be the best chain to use for such testing.

I ran it for a couple hours today bucking up a small log pile and took another maple out of dads yard. So far I like it a lot. It is a smooth saw, but I think the 562 is smoother. A lot probably has to do with the mass of the saw.

It is a quick saw, but definitely needs more breaking in. It has a bog off idle but that was the same with the 562 until broken in a few tanks. Ive run maybe a little over a tank of fuel in the 550. Carlton loop is still as sharp as I took it out of the box.

I think if it were going to primarily be used limbing trees I'd be reaching for LPX chain but bucking it does like the 3/8. I have a .325 setup from dads 350 when he had that saw, I'll toss it on sometime and see what I think of it. Need to make me a clutch tool for the electric impact though, don't want to bother with all that jazz of the rope trick.

c6e4c999-b4f4-5a9f.jpg

A good running 50cc saw with a 16" bar doesn't mind 3/8 in the least.

And a really good running 50 cc saw likes 18" 3/8ths the best

No, but they may still cut faster and smoother with .325! :msp_wink:

or maybe not. :msp_wink:

Somebody grab a new loop of each 325 round chisel with 7T and 8T and 3/8 round chisel with 7T and I if you can run a saw worth a **** in hardwoods I bet you find the same finding as I did :msp_tongue:. Do this on the 346 50cc and 550 too if you got them. :msp_w00t:

Personally I think RSC would be the best chain to use for such testing.

Did it. 3/8's was faster than .325 with 7 or 8 pin.

I've seen up to 30% increase in cut speed with square over round filed and ground chains. These were work chains not race chains. Hedgerow got the chain that was 30% faster than a round filed and round ground chain and got 3 tanks of use cutting and noodling hedge.

Square ground chain can do amazing things:

[video=youtube;X8uNt0CqU0c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8uNt0CqU0c[/video]

Funny Niko!! I have several loops of square ground in my inventory, and more on the way ;).

How much 3/8 square have you run? BTW, it was a Swede that taught me how to square file nearly twenty years ago.

P.S.

Directly from Madsens square ground FAQ:

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Does square ground chisel chain outperform round ground chisel chain?

A: If cutting efficiency is what you are after, the answer is: yes. On most pro saws, square ground chisel chain#will cut 10% to 15% faster than round ground chisel chain. Its sharp angles sever wood fiber more efficiently that any other type of cutter tooth.

I was referring to round ground in 3/8 vs in .325 - of course square chisel will be faster! :msp_biggrin:

Somebody buy a 550 and come on up, we'll have a race. I'll come up with chains. 3/8 square and round, .325 round and if it's doable then square also. This may have been tested before but hey, who doesn't like a repetitive race, not like we haven't seen the Daytona 500 50 times LOL

I ran it for a couple hours today bucking up a small log pile and took another maple out of dads yard. So far I like it a lot. It is a smooth saw, but I think the 562 is smoother. A lot probably has to do with the mass of the saw.

It is a quick saw, but definitely needs more breaking in. It has a bog off idle but that was the same with the 562 until broken in a few tanks. Ive run maybe a little over a tank of fuel in the 550. Carlton loop is still as sharp as I took it out of the box.

I think if it were going to primarily be used limbing trees I'd be reaching for LPX chain but bucking it does like the 3/8. I have a .325 setup from dads 350 when he had that saw, I'll toss it on sometime and see what I think of it. Need to make me a clutch tool for the electric impact though, don't want to bother with all that jazz of the rope trick.

c6e4c999-b4f4-5a9f.jpg

Husqvarnas new clutch tool for the 562 works on the 550 also and it is slick with a nut made on it for a socket. All done with the rope. It is listed in the workshop manual for the 555/562

Nice, I haven't even been through the manual for tools on those yet. The husky tool for the 357 fit it fine but I definitely want a socket type tool for future use.

Should I mention it has a 3 puck clutch for those who like that in their prosaw? The 346 had a 2 puck with springs that were super easy to replace. We'll see how these new ones go.

...... Need to make me a clutch tool for the electric impact though, don't want to bother with all that jazz of the rope trick.

Why not just knock the clutch off with a fitting chisel (or flat screwdriver) and a hammer/club? :D

Why not just knock the clutch off with a fitting chisel (or flat screwdriver) and a hammer/club? :D

I haven't found that they have enough compression to do such a thing. Then again maybe I don't like swinging a club at my saw that hard?

Latest posts

Back