550XP's shipping this week!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tzed250

Tzed250

Addicted to ArboristSite
Of course it will not, the differences between round ground chisel of proper design is marginal anyway.

Funny Niko!! I have several loops of square ground in my inventory, and more on the way ;).

How much 3/8 square have you run? BTW, it was a Swede that taught me how to square file nearly twenty years ago.

P.S.

Directly from Madsens square ground FAQ:

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Does square ground chisel chain outperform round ground chisel chain?

A: If cutting efficiency is what you are after, the answer is: yes. On most pro saws, square ground chisel chain#will cut 10% to 15% faster than round ground chisel chain. Its sharp angles sever wood fiber more efficiently that any other type of cutter tooth.

Last edited:
mdavlee

mdavlee

Tree Freak
I've seen up to 30% increase in cut speed with square over round filed and ground chains. These were work chains not race chains. Hedgerow got the chain that was 30% faster than a round filed and round ground chain and got 3 tanks of use cutting and noodling hedge.

RedneckChainsawRepair
Somebody grab a new loop of each 325 round chisel with 7T and 8T and 3/8 round chisel with 7T and I if you can run a saw worth a **** in hardwoods I bet you find the same finding as I did :msp_tongue:. Do this on the 346 50cc and 550 too if you got them. :msp_w00t:

Personally I think RSC would be the best chain to use for such testing.

TK

Addicted to ArboristSite
I ran it for a couple hours today bucking up a small log pile and took another maple out of dads yard. So far I like it a lot. It is a smooth saw, but I think the 562 is smoother. A lot probably has to do with the mass of the saw.

It is a quick saw, but definitely needs more breaking in. It has a bog off idle but that was the same with the 562 until broken in a few tanks. Ive run maybe a little over a tank of fuel in the 550. Carlton loop is still as sharp as I took it out of the box.

I think if it were going to primarily be used limbing trees I'd be reaching for LPX chain but bucking it does like the 3/8. I have a .325 setup from dads 350 when he had that saw, I'll toss it on sometime and see what I think of it. Need to make me a clutch tool for the electric impact though, don't want to bother with all that jazz of the rope trick.

c6e4c999-b4f4-5a9f.jpg

wendell
A good running 50cc saw with a 16" bar doesn't mind 3/8 in the least.

And a really good running 50 cc saw likes 18" 3/8ths the best

No, but they may still cut faster and smoother with .325! :msp_wink:

or maybe not. :msp_wink:

Somebody grab a new loop of each 325 round chisel with 7T and 8T and 3/8 round chisel with 7T and I if you can run a saw worth a **** in hardwoods I bet you find the same finding as I did :msp_tongue:. Do this on the 346 50cc and 550 too if you got them. :msp_w00t:

Personally I think RSC would be the best chain to use for such testing.

Did it. 3/8's was faster than .325 with 7 or 8 pin.

I've seen up to 30% increase in cut speed with square over round filed and ground chains. These were work chains not race chains. Hedgerow got the chain that was 30% faster than a round filed and round ground chain and got 3 tanks of use cutting and noodling hedge.

Square ground chain can do amazing things:

[video=youtube;X8uNt0CqU0c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8uNt0CqU0c[/video]

SawTroll

SawTroll

Information Collector
Funny Niko!! I have several loops of square ground in my inventory, and more on the way ;).

How much 3/8 square have you run? BTW, it was a Swede that taught me how to square file nearly twenty years ago.

P.S.

Directly from Madsens square ground FAQ:

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Does square ground chisel chain outperform round ground chisel chain?

A: If cutting efficiency is what you are after, the answer is: yes. On most pro saws, square ground chisel chain#will cut 10% to 15% faster than round ground chisel chain. Its sharp angles sever wood fiber more efficiently that any other type of cutter tooth.

I was referring to round ground in 3/8 vs in .325 - of course square chisel will be faster! :msp_biggrin:

TK

Addicted to ArboristSite
Somebody buy a 550 and come on up, we'll have a race. I'll come up with chains. 3/8 square and round, .325 round and if it's doable then square also. This may have been tested before but hey, who doesn't like a repetitive race, not like we haven't seen the Daytona 500 50 times LOL

jthusky55

jthusky55

ArboristSite Member
I ran it for a couple hours today bucking up a small log pile and took another maple out of dads yard. So far I like it a lot. It is a smooth saw, but I think the 562 is smoother. A lot probably has to do with the mass of the saw.

It is a quick saw, but definitely needs more breaking in. It has a bog off idle but that was the same with the 562 until broken in a few tanks. Ive run maybe a little over a tank of fuel in the 550. Carlton loop is still as sharp as I took it out of the box.

I think if it were going to primarily be used limbing trees I'd be reaching for LPX chain but bucking it does like the 3/8. I have a .325 setup from dads 350 when he had that saw, I'll toss it on sometime and see what I think of it. Need to make me a clutch tool for the electric impact though, don't want to bother with all that jazz of the rope trick.

c6e4c999-b4f4-5a9f.jpg

Husqvarnas new clutch tool for the 562 works on the 550 also and it is slick with a nut made on it for a socket. All done with the rope. It is listed in the workshop manual for the 555/562

TK

Addicted to ArboristSite
Nice, I haven't even been through the manual for tools on those yet. The husky tool for the 357 fit it fine but I definitely want a socket type tool for future use.

Should I mention it has a 3 puck clutch for those who like that in their prosaw? The 346 had a 2 puck with springs that were super easy to replace. We'll see how these new ones go.

TK

Addicted to ArboristSite
Why not just knock the clutch off with a fitting chisel (or flat screwdriver) and a hammer/club? :D

I haven't found that they have enough compression to do such a thing. Then again maybe I don't like swinging a club at my saw that hard?

Latest posts