550XP's shipping this week!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still not going for a 441 if I want max performance in a modded saw. That part hasn't changed.

Max performance as a cookie saw you are most likely right. Max performance as a hot work saw I think the 550 will have the edge.

That does look like it has been both loved and well played over the years. How is the action set on it? There are some Youtube vids of Derek Trucks playing a Firebird from the 3-15-10 Allmans show at the Palace Theater in NY with some stellar slide work.

Ya know, I had a 72 Firebird myself.............but it was a Pontiac, not a Gibson. :msp_w00t:

Thanks again for the pics father Joat! She's a beauty. :clap:

Thanks. She 's a player and my son loves the action. It was used by one of the most prolific players in the area and it was his main guitar. My son has not worked it into his rotation yet. He uses a PRS Mira maple top with Starla pickups and a Ibanez AS103 semi-hallowbody for blues and jazz. He uses a Gibson Flying V for those occasions when he plays metal. He's trying to get the right songs for the Firebird. It has a distinctive sound that takes you back a few years.

Not to hijack but is there a thread on Tlandrum doing work on a 562? I have only seen Randy's 562 thread and anything about Terry or Brad working on one would be good saw #### for me! Thanks, Russ

He mentoned it in his GTG thread, if my memory serves.....

Here's muh saw.... Found a use for that .058 60dl carlton chain I keep seeming to order by mistake.

2263290a.jpg

14f20e2a.jpg

Here's muh saw.... Found a use for that .058 60dl carlton chain I keep seeming to order by mistake.

2263290a.jpg

14f20e2a.jpg

wait so they are coming 3/8 or you threw that on there?

I guess if these have a lot more torque they may be candidate for actual better performance running 3/8, or at least less of a decrease vs 346??

wait so they are coming 3/8 or you threw that on there?

I guess if these have a lot more torque they may be candidate for actual better performance running 3/8, or at least less of a decrease vs 346??

A good running 50cc saw with a 16" bar doesn't mind 3/8 in the least.

I popped the 3/8's on there. It will cut every bit as fast for me with the 3/8's chain.

You may not be able to lean on it as much because of the difference in drive rims. Some folks don't realize that a .325x7 rim is smaller. The 3/8x7 rim is actually more comparable to a .325x8 rim, and if the .325x8 were to be compared to the 3/8 then the .325 may pull ahead with a slight edge. I, however, like the characteristics of the 3/8 chain. I like having the same file for both saws. I like having less teeth to file. And absolutely most importantlyish, it looks better.

Last edited:
I popped the 3/8's on there. It will cut every bit as fast for me with the 3/8's chain.

You may not be able to lean on it as much because of the difference in drive rims. Some folks don't realize that a .325x7 rim is smaller. The 3/8x7 rim is actually more comparable to a .325x8 rim, and if the .325x8 were to be compared to the 3/8 then the .325 may pull ahead with a slight edge. I, however, like the characteristics of the 3/8 chain. I like having the same file for both saws. I like having less teeth to file. And absolutely most importantlyish, it looks better.

Yes, you obviously are right about the rim size/gearing

No, but they may still cut faster and smoother with .325! :msp_wink:

3/8" = square ground:clap:

+1 on the square. A high perf saw deserves a high perf chain. I don't think round ground .325 is going to keep up with square 3/8.

I need to work on muh skillz with a file. I need to order more square chain, no way am I gonna hand file round to square :dizzy:

It takes some practice to get good at it. Square is all I run unless it's a loop of semi chisel for real dirty wood.

I know someone who has a grinder:msp_rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back