AOD needs a BIG saw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aod - Fyi

Sorry to reply so late, I been working today...

That red saw on the other bench is a Jonsered 910 just waiting for a piston and cylinder to arrive.

If you are just bucking the logs on the ground, the weight of a big saw is really an asset, you just hold the throttle and it does the rest all by itself...

Mark

Yeah the weight issue is not a big thing to me. I mostly am cutting up stuff on the ground, once in awhile I may need to do a felling cut, but I have arms like Popeye because I eat 2 pounds of bacon everyday, so I look forward to a good upper body workout.

I've never ran a 575 so I can't say from exprience. I've always been under the impression that the 372xp had just a little more ump then the 575.
My stock 372xp was nothing the saw my muffler modded 7900 was.
After a mild cylinder port, exhaust, and timing advanced it's close to the power the muffler modded 7900's are, but it's not beyond by any means.

I've never had a 32" bar on my 7900, but it runs a 28" easily. It's not too far from my stock 066 IMO. I think the 7900 wouldn't have any problems with a 32" bar in hard wood. I don't think it's going to be the fastest, but it's not going to be the slowest either.

I'm a Husky fan, but I'll be the first to admit the 7900 is a bad-azz saw.

I think you have that impression backwards. I have not run a 372 but I do have a 575.

That said there were several post here before from users who actually have owned or used both and they reported the 575 had a little more in the bigger wood with over 24" bars.

totally agree with going with husky... if that's what you normally go with.

my preference is Stihl... got a fleet of em... just scored a 394xp. that big husky feels like a duck out of water. 394xp is an excellent saw... it's what you are used to.

I agree its a great saw just don't fit right after what I'm used to. I'm sure it would be the same with a stihl if I had run huskys for the past 20 years.

I think you have that impression backwards. I have not run a 372 but I do have a 575.

That said there were several post here before from users who actually have owned or used both and they reported the 575 had a little more in the bigger wood with over 24" bars.

If we ever meet up at a GTG. Than we could swap saws for a couple of cuts, if you like. I'd really like to try a 575 for myself.
BTW I think my friend has giving up on his Poulan (got him a new Husky) nce he's over his grieving process. I'll going to see if I can get it.

If we ever meet up at a GTG. Than we could swap saws for a couple of cuts, if you like. I'd really like to try a 575 for myself.
BTW I think my friend has giving up on his Poulan (got him a new Husky) nce he's over his grieving process. I'll going to see if I can get it.

Yeah I would like to compare them side by side myself...

highly recommend an 064 in excellent condition. there's been several rebuilt 064 that sold well within that price range.

beside affordable price, 064 is barely heavier (5 oz) than 460, which has much less grunt. 064 has one of the best power to weight ratio of any saw and are very dependable.

in short a highly desirable saw!!! ... !

Hmmm, I believe only the early 064s were that light - but not sure.....:confused:

Anyway, this looks like a job for a 394/395/2094/2095/066/660.......

AOD just take that 575 to leroy and let Big Dave work it over. I have no doubt he could get you 15 - 20% gain and be alot cheaper than buying a new saw.

Well, thanks to carvinmark I am now the proud owner of a very badass and lightly used 395XP with two 32" bars and one 24" bar. I haven't had a chance to run it yet, perhaps tomorrow, but all I can say is wow, this saw is freakin awesome and I can't wait to get it into the wood.

I did figure out I can pick it up and hold it overhead at arms length with one hand on the rear handle, but I don't think I will be trying a cut like that anytime soon.

And I would love to put this thing head to head with an hot 066 at the next GTG.

Yeah yeah, let's see that big saw hacking up the big woods.:clap:

NorthernSky002.jpg

Latest posts

Back