AOD needs a BIG saw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does the 7900 really put out that much more power? I had thought it just had a touch more power than my 575.

Unless your looking for an excuse to buy another saw (although, aren't we all?), your 575 should have no problem handling those big guys with some sharp chain on it.

If you're dead set on buying another saw, I'd suggest sticking with Husky if that's what you have. 394, 395, or even a 3120 would be my suggestion. You should be able to find something used w/o a problem in your price range.

AOD I haven't run a 575 but have run a 7900 and there isn't that much difference btw that and a 372 to warrant having both, as much as I'd like to. I'd say if your going to jump up go to atleast 90cc whatever brand you choose. Probably shouldn't tell ya about the 395XP that I found for my buddy for 425.00 here in BR. Saw was mint.
Another thought would be sending your 575 to someone to be ported.

For three or four trees id save the money and use the 575 with 28". I run a 575 and can atest that as long as you keep it sharp it will get there steadilly in big wood.

IMO better to save the money for a while longer then if you really want it buy a brand new 595 or 660.

Why use something you already have when you have a good "reason" to get something different?

AOD, here is what you need:

attachment.php

McCulloch 840, 99cc, gear drive, 1/2" pitch chain, 36" hard nose bar, shaft drive oil pump for the chain oiler + manual overide

Mark

P.S. When you come down to get the 1-42 crank case I'll let you try the SP125's and loan this one to you 'till you get your big logs cut up

P.P.S. You will get to enjoy "timeless classics" on the radio while we visit in the shop!

Last edited:
Oh man, I just wanna try that thing out! Don't think I'll wanna run it all afternoon, but it sure looks like fun for about 1/2 a tank!

Is that an XL-12 on your bench? Shame on you!

Hey now, I can get them sharp, I just cant keep them sharp!

Who can in hard wood? I cut some 30" shag bark hickory had a lot on knots in it too. Dulled my chains fast.
It was slow going with my 372xp and 7900. My 395xp shines in this kind of stuff. Did twice the cuts on almost half the time with the 395xp.

Does the 7900 really put out that much more power? I had thought it just had a touch more power than my 575.

I've never ran a 575 so I can't say from exprience. I've always been under the impression that the 372xp had just a little more ump then the 575.
My stock 372xp was nothing the saw my muffler modded 7900 was.
After a mild cylinder port, exhaust, and timing advanced it's close to the power the muffler modded 7900's are, but it's not beyond by any means.

I've never had a 32" bar on my 7900, but it runs a 28" easily. It's not too far from my stock 066 IMO. I think the 7900 wouldn't have any problems with a 32" bar in hard wood. I don't think it's going to be the fastest, but it's not going to be the slowest either.

I'm a Husky fan, but I'll be the first to admit the 7900 is a bad-azz saw.

Thanks to everybody for the PM's. I have some good leads now, all I need is my tax $$$ to pay for it!

Looks like I have about 5 massive red and white oak logs to cut up, and now just found out about a mountain of ash and a bunch of red and Norway maple thats over 30". Should keep my fat arse out of trouble.

I waited, and looked... and waited...

Found a 394xp that was ported (w00t) the a price that would fit into your budget. (Its mine now, sorry) but there are big saws that go for that price range.

Mine looks like hell, but it fits the budget and runs AWESOME. Most people (My dad for one) laughs at me when I drag it out against all my brand new pretty saws...

If you can wait, good deals should come along...

Back