base charge for consult?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
When you guys get called out to a consultation, what is your base rate or minimum charge?

I've been telling people that I need to get at least $50 just to come out and look, and it can go up from there. I'm not sure if I should try to get more, or what.

WOW , what planet is this on? I'm packing to move there now!!!!!

the planet where you become a licensed and or certified arborist with some credentials. college and or many hours of home study required (and never ending.)
don't have these credentials,you simply won't get the phone calls for this.they will be calling the other guy and paying him this kind of $ (and more in some cases.)

the planet where you become a licensed and or certified arborist with some credentials. college and or many hours of home study required (and never ending.)
don't have these credentials,you simply won't get the phone calls for this.they will be calling the other guy and paying him this kind of $ (and more in some cases.)

Are you also a landscaper , and do you cut grass?:sword:

WOW , what planet is this on? I'm packing to move there now!!!!!

He's Canadian...that's only like $137.39 American :)

But realistically...you are looking at about an hour on site (definately count on an hour if you want to included travel time), than a worthwhile report takes at least another hour for the report -- assuming you cover more than a single tree. So that is getting us near 2.5 to 3 hours...

He's Canadian...that's only like $137.39 American :)

But realistically...you are looking at about an hour on site (definately count on an hour if you want to included travel time), than a worthwhile report takes at least another hour for the report -- assuming you cover more than a single tree. So that is getting us near 2.5 to 3 hours...

I'm in Memphis , I look at 25 to 100 trees a week , I never charge unless I do the work! Am I an Certified Arborist? NO , But I've been dealing with trees and CLIMBING trees for 25 years , and know more then 99% of you schoolboy arborist with hands like my sister!:clap:

You can take a 4 hour Saturday course and a 20 question test and get an arborist certificate! ARBORIST MY a$$!

That was my joke , do you also do landscaping and cut grass , in Memphis , if you cut grass or landscape , then your no tree cutter!

I see people with signs on there truck that say: TREE WORK , CERTIFIED ARBORIST , PAINTING , CONCRETE AND LIGHT CARPENTRY

Now thats funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm in Memphis , I look at 25 to 100 trees a week , I never charge unless I do the work! Am I an Certified Arborist? NO , But I've been dealing with trees and CLIMBING trees for 25 years , and know more then 99% of you schoolboy arborist with hands like my sister!:clap:

with all due respect, then you will have no problem passing a test and becoming certified so as to let your clients know how educated you are in the field of arboriculture.there's no need to disrespect those lending you a helping hand with rude comments.we're on your side here.your going to heed the advice or disregard it.no ones trying to tell you what to do or charge for estimates and or consultations.

You can take a 4 hour Saturday course and a 20 question test and get an arborist certificate! ARBORIST MY a$$!

That was my joke , do you also do landscaping and cut grass , in Memphis , if you cut grass or landscape , then your no tree cutter!

I see people with signs on there truck that say: TREE WORK , CERTIFIED ARBORIST , PAINTING , CONCRETE AND LIGHT CARPENTRY

Now thats funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are full of crap Wimpy. I can't imagine anybody with a shred of sense falling for your hogwash. Did I mention you were full of crap?

Seriously , do you also cut grass and landscape? I'm serious!?

No, I do not cut grass and landscape. I do however have a strong PHC business and do a lot of consultation. I am a certified arborist with a degree in arboriculture. I am also certified in plant appraisal and I am a Texas licensed applicator. I could go on.

No, I do not cut grass and landscape. I do however have a strong PHC business and do a lot of consultation. I am a certified arborist with a degree in arboriculture. I am also certified in plant appraisal and I am a Texas licensed applicator. I could go on.

Well pin a dead bug on you!:clap:

I'm just having fun with you!

There are some arborist guys here in Memphis , they charge 875.00 to doctor up a tree , that is 95% dead , that I'll cut down in 30 minutes for 175.00!

That's why I get a laugh at some of these arborist guys!

I'm just having fun with you!

There are some arborist guys here in Memphis , they charge 875.00 to doctor up a tree , that is 95% dead , that I'll cut down in 30 minutes for 175.00!

That's why I get a laugh at some of these arborist guys!

You get a laugh at them do you.

Somewhere, I think the heart of the question was lost:

We are all offering a service. Pruning is a service; tree removal is a service; stump grinding is a service, pest treatment is a service, and as I understand it, the OP is offering a SERVICE - giving requested information to a client.

How much is that information worth - or better stated, what is the market value of that information.

I heard John Ball (SD State) put it this way:
*Folks will pay for something the can do but don't want to (mowing the grass...).

*Folks will pay more for something they can do, but don't have the equipment/ability to do (they view it as "renting" the equipment, and I come with it), or I am a "piece of equipment" when I climb a tree.

*Folks will pay the most for knowledge. The challenge (going back to the original post), is figuring out how much that is.

Would I jump at the opportunity to make $70 per hour, without climning a tree? It would be tempting, but the reason I got into this is because I am energized after a day of hard work, and worn out after a day sitting in the office...

For now I see those diagnostic days as supplying jobs for the "real" work days, and as an opportunity to supplement the income. Maybe one day I'll decide I'm too old to climb, but I'll still keep updating my knowledge and will therefore still have a place in the market...

Latest posts

Back