base charge for consult?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"$75 for up to an hour"

this is what I tell people on the phone. I have spent 2 hours discussing things with people, and looking over a larger property.

I cover the trees that they have, cultural practices to improve/ maintain tree health, cultural practices that damage tree health, point out good and bad structure, talk about included bark crotches (a common problem) and about pruning/cabling/bracing, Branch collars, proper pruning, proper climbing, safety, etc.

I have gotten all of the work that I have charged consultations for (less than a dozen), and not all of the others (of course). Some of those "free" people will be customers later, some won't.

I'm a Certified Arborist.

Seems like someone doesn't do the math very well. $850 in revenue versus $175. Removals take more equipment, too.

Now that just seems like the homeowner who will take the cheapest price to alleviate a problem, not the best choice of action, nor value.

I charge $75.00 for field notes, $150.00 for a letter report, and $350.00 and more for a booklet report.

And the price goes up for all reports if I need to climb the tree.

I think you definitely need to charge for your time and advice regardless of your education level.

You have to account for the percentage of people that are calling you over for a free consultation to pick your brain about what they should do, then either do it themselves, or get someone real cheap to do what you suggested.

In the time you drive to a location, give advice, and not get the job because they are really just jerking you around, you could be making money. Therefore, you should be making money for your consult.

If you really want to do "free consults", you can tell them you will deduct the consult fee from the job once you are hired!

I think you definitely need to charge for your time and advice regardless of your education level.

I just got a call Sat. from a new client that said guys with no credentials that charge a fee to come out is pure BS. Some yoyo tried to charge $100.00 for a consultation that was a certified nothing. I have to agree with her.

I just got a call Sat. from a new client that said guys with no credentials that charge a fee to come out is pure BS. Some yoyo tried to charge $100.00 for a consultation that was a certified nothing. I have to agree with her.

I agree with you on that one. no credentials = no consultation fee!

Sorry I was too vague. You have to have 'some' level of valid education or certification. Although a piece of paper doesn't mean that you are good at your job, it does mean that at some point you possessed the minimum knowledge required to obtain it.

If I'm not mistaken, you can use years of experience to write the ISA cert. exam? So you don't need to be formally educated institutionally.

The point is that time is money, and the knowledge and expertise you worked so hard to achieve has a value

When was the last time you got a free consultation from a medical doctor? His knowledge and skills have a value, so do yours.

Back