Best all-around sub-$300 saw w/ 16" bar for homeowner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any saw mentioned here will be fine for what you want. You don't sound like a saw nut so go with the brand with the best local sevice. Mail order (without local support) is a bad way to go unless you are prepared to work on your own stuff. Box stores are not "support" so if you go that route enquire exactly where you would get brand-x fixed, or even talk to someone with knowledge.

Wont any Husky dealer work on a saw thats within warrentee no matter where it was bought?

nzjkb5, I have a Husky 345 thats cuts real well. A friend has a 350 that cuts a little better. Both are under $300. I'd reccomend either one.

Wont any Husky dealer work on a saw thats within warrentee no matter where it was bought?
Husky dealers in my area WILL work on Husky's that were not bought from them. You're going to take a back seat to their customers that bought saws from them and rightly so. But they will work on them.

Get a used Dolmar 5100. If you are looking at getting a saw at HD, you will have to find somewhere else to get it fixed anyway. Plus you're a mechanic of some sort I assume with all those high end tools, and a member here. If you have problems with your saw just post here and folks can help you out. It doesn't sound like down time would be a problem, as the saw is for occasional use.

Get the 5100, you won't be disappointed!:D

Not that it matters but Home Depots in my area don't sell any Husqvarna products at all. They sell Poulan, Homelite and Echo. Lowe's and Tractor Supply sell a few smaller Husky models. Husky dealers in my area sell pretty much all models and their prices are pretty competitive with Lowe's and Tractor Supply. The service they give you makes up for the $10 to $20 more that the saw costs. ;)

Same here on the HD offerings, in my area. The Lowe's around here sell the 142, 350, and 455 rancher and from what I can tell they sell them at full retail, so there is no price advantage at all to buy from them. And, the damned things are zip tied to the display shelf so you can't even pick it up and see how it feels in your hands.

Get a used Dolmar 5100. If you are looking at getting a saw at HD, you will have to find somewhere else to get it fixed anyway. Plus you're a mechanic of some sort I assume with all those high end tools, and a member here. If you have problems with your saw just post here and folks can help you out. It doesn't sound like down time would be a problem, as the saw is for occasional use.

Get the 5100, you won't be disappointed!:D

Where does a guy find a used 5100, except the occassional one that pops up on ebay? Alot of people have a heck of time finding new ones in their area let alone used ones :).

Where does a guy find a used 5100, except the occassional one that pops up on ebay? Alot of people have a heck of time finding new ones in their area let alone used ones :).

Sure they aren't as common as used 350s, but they can be found. Say if a dealer had a demo saw he was looking to get rid of.

Another vote for the 350. Many threads have treated this topic.
IMO, there is no saw that can compete with the 350 when it comes to best bang for the buck in the 50cc range. When I tried it, I found it to be a very competent performer, very similar to my 353, for a very attractive price.

BR, Peter

I'm not sure how much $$$ Husky 350's are but I used one a few weeks ago and all I can say is my MS270 performs far better.

Well just about every saw out there has been suggested.Seeing as how the Stihl dealer is only 2-3 miles away,It's kind of a no-brainer.
Stihl is and always has been the most dependable and durable saw made.There may be faster or lighter or this or that.......but bottom line they are the best.Dealer close by is a big Plus!!
With what you described that you'll be cutting,the 210,230 or 250 would serve you well.See which one fits your hands the best. Good Luck with whatever one you pick !!

Well he could get a used 6401 from hd...........

Walk into your local dealer and handle the saw that you like. Then make the sales man sell it to you. Don't buy it. Make him sell it. Then you will find the place to be and the saw to get for the price you are willing to pay.

Wow! Thanks for the responses!

I didn't expect over two pages of replies within 24 hours! Thanks so much for the advice Just to answer a couple of questions:

I don't know exactly what I will be cutting with it, that is why I am looking for a general purpose all-around saw. I have a couple of dead trees that need to be taken down and then cut up into firewood size pieces. I have a small wood lathe and I am planning on saving the best wood for turning. The rest will go in the fireplace.

The biggest tree I would try to cut down myself is about 18" in diameter, I think it is a white ash maybe? One is an eastern red cedar, almost as big. I also have a weeping willow that is going to come down in a storm, it is only a matter of time. Two very large sections have come down already.

I need to cut up some logs (red cedar and something I haven't identified) that I have scavenged for woodturning purposes, most less than 12" in diameter.

I need the saw for general trimming around the house, too, so I don't want it to be huge and heavy.

I live in west Knoxville, Tennesse. My wife and stepson are huge Vol fans.

I am an ASE certified Master Technician, but have not earned my living turning wrenches since 1992. I know virtually nothing about 2-strokes, and would much rather use a chainsaw than work on it!

As far as a new saw goes, it looks like I am getting a lot of recommendations on the Husky 350. A little beyond my price range, but doable if it is really worth the extra money over a 345. Norwalk Power has it online for $319 shipped to my door, with 2 extra chains, a hat and a shirt. I have been leaning towards a Stihl because the dealer is so close, and my Dad and Grandfather have owned several and swear by them. But the local Husky dealer is only about 30 minutes away. I plan on doing all the maintenance that is needed myself, I just am concerned about warranty repairs and the hassle of taking it in.

Thanks again for all the responses, I will look a little closer at the Husky 350.

There is a 5100 in the Trading Post now by a guy named 74Fencer.

Looks like it is still available!!!

350, 345 or 340

I’ve had the husqy 350 for over a year and it’s been a great saw. Now also just a couple months back my wife got herself a saw and she picked the 345e with a 16” bar.

Her 345 has only about 5 hours on it so it’s not broking in yet, but it is a nice saw. My 350 has an 18” bar, and other then the adjustable oilier both saw feel and cut about the same. If the 345 would keep you with in your budget then give that a look.
Look at the 340e also it’s built just the same as the 345 & 350. The power is a little lower but it too is a nice little saw. That one will keep you well under your budget.

the best ever

homelite xl 12.always starts no matter how long it sits,plenty of power for any homeowner use,pisses the neighbors off cause it's so loud

Look at the Stihl 210/230/250 series. Good saws for what you will be doing.

Latest posts

Back