Best all-around sub-$300 saw w/ 16" bar for homeowner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nzjkb5

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everybody, I see all kinds of threads on here about Husky vs. Stihl vs. the rest (Dolmar, Echo, Johnsered, Shindaiwa, etc.), but almost all of the posts are recommending saws that are out of my price range.

A month ago I started looking at saws, with the idea of getting one that was just one or two steps up from the cheapest thing you could buy. I planned on getting something for less than $150. However, I completely understand that you get what you pay for (my toolbox is full of Snap-On and Mac hand tools), but I am on a budget. Doing some research on the internet and talking to people, I decided that I would be better off spending a little more and getting a saw that I could depend on and that would last.

I am a homeowner with only about one acre of land (1/3 of it is trees), I do not use wood for heat, and the saw will only see occasional use. I am looking for a general, all-around use saw with a 16" bar.

I am considering an Ebay Echo CS-346 (really light and less than $200 w/shipping, but no warranty), an online Husky 345e ($270 with 2 extra chains, but the nearest service center is 20 miles away), or the Stihl MS230 ($305 w/tax at my local dealer, only 3 miles away and open on Saturdays!)

I am not sure what way to go. I want a saw that will be reliable and will last me a long time, but I can't justify spending $600 on a Stihl MS361 which seems to be the favorite here. I really am stuck at a $300 limit, too, I just can't spend more than that (ok, $305 for the Stihl.)

What do you suggest in this price range? Thanks1

-Keith

go for the 345. great saw great price good power and its light. i love mine. should be good for what you need. where are you in tenn. GO VOLS

Echo CS-370 is a good occasional use homeowner saw. Lighweight, good price, plenty of power for the bar.

How big are the tree's? How much are you really thinking you will cut?

Honestly, I think you might do well with a wildthing? If you want something better, maybe look at the Stihl ms170-180 saws. The ms170 can be had for around $170 new. The 180 is a bit more, I want to say $230, but not sure. Nothing wrong with the Husky 345, but I would spend more on the 350, just me, I love them!!! (around $350)
Check and see if you have a Sears parts and service cente near you. You can pick up refurb saws there for a song. If you want something bigger in the future, then you are out very little!!!

How big are the tree's? How much are you really thinking you will cut?

Honestly, I think you might do well with a wildthing? If you want something better, maybe look at the Stihl ms170-180 saws. The ms170 can be had for around $170 new. The 180 is a bit more, I want to say $230, but not sure. Nothing wrong with the Husky 345, but I would spend more on the 350, just me, I love them!!! (around $350)
Check and see if you have a Sears parts and service cente near you. You can pick up refurb saws there for a song. If you want something bigger in the future, then you are out very little!!!

Only if the WIld Thing isnt the new Strato-Charged EPA version....

You can get a Husky 350 for $299.
You would not be disappointed.:cheers:

Sounds like the guys in Home Depot...

Ya walk in..say you are cutting up some firewood, need a new saw...

"Yes sir...firewood saw...The 350 is perfect for your needs, you wont be disappointed"

You guys know what I'm gonna say...

Read the reviews, the Echo CS-370 has your name written all over it. Take care of it. When you're done, take a "internet course" on filing the chain, oregon's got the angles, and put it away ready for the next adventure. It won't let you down... After 6 months, put it away positive, run it out of gas, oil the chain/bar, and it will make you proud the next time work comes. Keep that chain sharp, and this saw will do you wonders.

My $0.02.

Of those originally listed, the Husky 345 is a much better saw than the MS230, in just about every regard, but I would also spend the slightly more money for the 350.......:)

Sounds like the guys in Home Depot...

Ya walk in..say you are cutting up some firewood, need a new saw...

"Yes sir...firewood saw...The 350 is perfect for your needs, you wont be disappointed"

Sorry, but the fact is, Poulan has a spotty track record.
Stihls are great saws, but they have no runners in the 50cc range for $300

So?
Husky 350 is the best bet. Got any constructive comments?

Sorry, but the fact is, Poulan has a spotty track record.
Stihls are great saws, but they have no runners in the 50cc range for $300

So?

Who said anything about Poulan? I think it was Sawinredneck, and I only said "yes" if it wasnt a strat version, which they ALL are now..

Last edited:
So?

I have a 350 & like it. I'm running a 16" bar on it but it came with an 18" so I have that in reserve if I need it. Some places sell it with your choice of bars. This machine is a good value for the $ and the 345 would be about the same if you want to count the 7cc engine displacement difference or the point two (.2) HP difference between the two models.

Best wishes, let us know what you get!

Who said anything about Poulan? I think it was Sawinredneck, and I only said "yes" if it wasnt a strat version, which they ALL are now..

Thats true, but you went after me, saying that I sound like the Home Depot guy. If that IS true, then maybe they have a point.
Again. Do you have a better suggestion?:buttkick:

Thats true, but you went after me, saying that I sound like the Home Depot guy. If that IS true, then maybe they have a point.
Again. Do you have a better suggestion?:buttkick:

You dont know what he is cutting, you dont know what size saw he wants, all we know is he wants a 16" bar, and has a 300 dollar cap.

You made the statement that he should buy a 350, and that "You wont be disappointed".

Thats Home Depot Salesman 101 right there...they dont care what you are cuttng, or anything...they just spout what is moving right then, and "You wont be disappointed" or "Last saw you will ever buy". Be it a Husky, a poulan, an Echo...whatever. You cant, just like I cant..say he will be totally satisfied by our suggestions, especially since we dont even know what he is using it for..

I made the statement that The ECHO CS-370 is a good homeowner/occasional use saw, it comes with the size bar he wants, its lightweight, easy to start, and good power for the bar.

I didnt go after you, I simply stated that your statement sounded like a textbook HD salesdrone.

You'll know when I go after you.:buttkick:

Another vote for the 350. Many threads have treated this topic.
IMO, there is no saw that can compete with the 350 when it comes to best bang for the buck in the 50cc range. When I tried it, I found it to be a very competent performer, very similar to my 353, for a very attractive price.

BR, Peter

Any saw mentioned here will be fine for what you want. You don't sound like a saw nut so go with the brand with the best local sevice. Mail order (without local support) is a bad way to go unless you are prepared to work on your own stuff. Box stores are not "support" so if you go that route enquire exactly where you would get brand-x fixed, or even talk to someone with knowledge.

Last edited:
Here's a vote for the Echo 346. Its a good little homeowner saw that is surprisingly tolerant of neglect. Put a good chain on it and pull the muffler screen (and retune...) and you'll be fine for trimming up in the yard.

If you want to go a step further, swap the INTENZ bar for an Oregon Pro91 (14" is best on that saw) and a standard bar tensioner setup ($25 for the bar, $7 for the tensioner) and you'll have a VERY good setup. You can then flip the unused bar/chain set that came with your saw for $25 or so on eBay.

The top-handle version of the CS346, properly outfitted:
CS3400.jpg

I also think a Husky 345 or 350 would be a good choice. Having said that, I have a Stihl 021 that's been a great little saw. I bought it with a 16" b&c and have since switched to a 14" b&c. The MS230 would be a better choice for a 16" b&c in my opinion.

Not that it matters but Home Depots in my area don't sell any Husqvarna products at all. They sell Poulan, Homelite and Echo. Lowe's and Tractor Supply sell a few smaller Husky models. Husky dealers in my area sell pretty much all models and their prices are pretty competitive with Lowe's and Tractor Supply. The service they give you makes up for the $10 to $20 more that the saw costs. ;)

Latest posts

Back