Best all-around sub-$300 saw w/ 16" bar for homeowner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like your going to use the saw a bit more than I first though. I hate to confuse you even more, but if your going to spend a little over $300 on a saw I would skip the 350 and just get a 353, the 353 has a magnesium crankcase and a little more power. Bailey's sells them for $344.95

Remember you're going to have this saw for a long time, so buy a good one and be done with it.:cheers:

Last edited:
There is a 5100 in the Trading Post now by a guy named 74Fencer.

Looks like it is still available!!!

Ok cool, I didn't see that Rich. If he is comfortable with a 5100 then he should jump on that one. I don't ever seem to see many used dolmar saws on ebay or anywhere else. It wouldn't be a bad choice, except he may or may not have good local dealer support, if that is of importance to him.

But a Echo CS-370 is a 270 dollar saw last I checked, and it has a superior warranty...not even STIHL can touch it!

Check out the Air filter on this sucker.

CS370-FILTER.jpg

Features.

CS370.jpg

Closeup of the controls.

You'll be hard pressed to find an easier pulling saw than an Echo.

CS370-INTAKE.jpg

And the INDUSTRIES ONLY 5 year consumer Warranty...

http://www.echo-usa.com/Warranty.asp

Ha! your chance of needing a warranty repair on a stihl are about one in 1000 - and that's every pea-pickin' thing... about 1 in 10,000 for anything significant.:buttkick: Long warranty periods are just marketing ploys.

Just choose the saw with the best local dealer support - it's not warranty that you need, but chains, supplies, consumable parts, adjustments, sharpens (yep, most don't do their own..), experience...

Last edited:
Ha! your chance of needing a warranty repair on a stihl are about one in 1000 - and that's every pea-pickin' thing... about 1 in 10,000 for anything significant.:buttkick: Long warranty periods are just marketing ploys.

Just choose the saw with the best local dealer support - it's not warranty that you need, but chains, supplies, consumable parts, adjustments, sharpens (yep, most don't do their own..), experience...

man, I gotta rep you for that one...its not often I laugh so hard Mountain Dew comes out my nose..lol lol lol

Dolmar PS-401 / Amick's Price $249.95

Model: PS-401

Engine displacement: 2.4 cu. in.

Power Rating: 1.7 kW

Power rating: 2.27 bHP

Max. engine Speed (with bar and chain): 12,000 RPM

Fuel tank capacity: 13.3 oz

Oil tank capacity: 8 oz

Net weight without bar and chain: 8.0 lbs

Standard guide bar: 16 "

Chain Pitch: 3/8 "

Chain gauge: .050 "

Optional guide bar: 14 "

I echo the same advice many of the others have said. I would personally opt for a stihl (MS210 or MS250) or a Husky (345 or 350) because of the local dealer support. Any of the above mentioned saws will do the tasks you have outlined. Some people on here will bash either the huskies or the stihls, but most of them have little or no experience with the saw they are bashing.

If you intend to become a regular here at AS, buy a Stihl 460 or Dolmar 7900 now and get it over with. :chainsawguy: Otherwise, just get what serves the purpose.;)

I echo the same advice many of the others have said. I would personally opt for a stihl (MS210 or MS250) or a Husky (345 or 350) because of the local dealer support. Any of the above mentioned saws will do the tasks you have outlined. Some people on here will bash either the huskies or the stihls, but most of them have little or no experience with the saw they are bashing.

Pretty odd that the 210 is in your "mix" - way less power than the others, even the 340 beats that one with a sizable margin......

Hello everybody, I see all kinds of threads on here about Husky vs. Stihl vs. the rest (Dolmar, Echo, Johnsered, Shindaiwa, etc.), but almost all of the posts are recommending saws that are out of my price range.

A month ago I started looking at saws, with the idea of getting one that was just one or two steps up from the cheapest thing you could buy. I planned on getting something for less than $150. However, I completely understand that you get what you pay for (my toolbox is full of Snap-On and Mac hand tools), but I am on a budget. Doing some research on the internet and talking to people, I decided that I would be better off spending a little more and getting a saw that I could depend on and that would last.

I am a homeowner with only about one acre of land (1/3 of it is trees), I do not use wood for heat, and the saw will only see occasional use. I am looking for a general, all-around use saw with a 16" bar.

I am considering an Ebay Echo CS-346 (really light and less than $200 w/shipping, but no warranty), an online Husky 345e ($270 with 2 extra chains, but the nearest service center is 20 miles away), or the Stihl MS230 ($305 w/tax at my local dealer, only 3 miles away and open on Saturdays!)

I am not sure what way to go. I want a saw that will be reliable and will last me a long time, but I can't justify spending $600 on a Stihl MS361 which seems to be the favorite here. I really am stuck at a $300 limit, too, I just can't spend more than that (ok, $305 for the Stihl.)

What do you suggest in this price range? Thanks1

-Keith

Hi Keith,

look to that, what Austin1 said. Have you ask your local Stihl-dealer (3 miles away and open on Saturday) about a good used saw?

A saw is so good, as the chain is sharp and the service ist near and good.

Pretty odd that the 210 is in your "mix" - way less power than the others, even the 340 beats that one with a sizable margin......

Eventhough the 230 is available in the states I surely do not see many around. Andy or Tom could probably tell you the reasoning for this better than I can. People that want more than the 210 opt for the 250 instead of the 230, because they are relatively close in price.

Last edited:
I have a Craftsman saw that I bought, refurbished, from a Sears warranty/repair place for maybe $90 about 22 years ago, and it has run, almost without hiccup, since then with almost no maintenance. IMHO, that's a lot of performance for a measly $90. FWIW...

I have been following this thread with interest though I just registered and this is my first post. I am a weekend wannabe mini-farmer (think Green Acres) and no longer have a wood stove for heat, but am clearing 9 acres gradually and still use the fireplace occassionally. My 15 year old Craftsman finally is done, I guess, because last year when it had no spark, the local small engine guy said I could buy a new one for what it would take for him to fix it (he is very busy in our little timber town). I bought the part and got it running for another year, but no spark again and I am tired of messing with it.

I bid on another new Craftsman 42 cc on ebay yesterday that sold for $100 shipped to the door (I was outbid by $15), but am a little relieved after reading this thread that maybe I should step up a few hundred and buy something that will last me the years I have left.

So, again in the under $300 range, I am looking at the Husky 345 for $250 plus shipping or the 350 for $299 plus shipping (Norwalk Power) or on Craig's list there is a Jonsered 2165 for $300 that the girls says has only been used a dozen times. Or I can keep looking at Craig's list and pretty quick find a used Stihl or Husky. The local saw shop sells Husky so I will go by there today and see how they compare with Norwalk and we have Home Depot that sells Echo, I think.

I guess I mainly want to know what you guys with experience think about the Jonsered as the Husky/Stihl thing has been pretty well covered. LOL

John

John, John, John!!!!!!!

Jonsered is the same/different as Husky. The handle is straight instead of at an angle, and it's red and black thats about it!!

Now that 2165, if it's what they say, would be a heck of a buy!! That would be he same as a Husky 365/365 special. A fine saw in my opinion!! 65cc's, medium weight, will run the heck out of a 18-20" bar, with enough grunt to pull a 28" if the need arose. Think Husky 350 times 1.5, or a bit more than a Stihl 361.
I would be taking a drive if it was me!!!

So, again in the under $300 range, I am looking at the Husky 345 for $250 plus shipping or the 350 for $299 plus shipping (Norwalk Power) or on Craig's list there is a Jonsered 2165 for $300 that the girls says has only been used a dozen times. Or I can keep looking at Craig's list and pretty quick find a used Stihl or Husky. The local saw shop sells Husky so I will go by there today and see how they compare with Norwalk and we have Home Depot that sells Echo, I think.

I guess I mainly want to know what you guys with experience think about the Jonsered as the Husky/Stihl thing has been pretty well covered. LOL

John
The Johnny Red 2165 is an awesome saw. I have a Husky 365 which is pretty much the same saw. The color and front handle bar angles are different. I run a 20" bar and H48 chain. This saw flat out rips, even when the bar is buried in 20" maple or cherry! Can you go check the saw out before you buy it?

Latest posts

Back