Busted

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
110 welder in the hands of a really good expert and help from a torch in the form of a good preheat can do a lot. But why?? Bevel it, if it's cold give it at least a mild preheat and burn in some 6010 Dc or 6011 ac on the root pass and then 7018 (make sure rod is hot and dry) cap or if your not that great of welder some 7014 rod especially on an AC welder.

110 welder in the hands of a really good expert and help from a torch in the form of a good preheat can do a lot. But why?? Bevel it, if it's cold give it at least a mild preheat and burn in some 6010 Dc or 6011 ac on the root pass and then 7018 (make sure rod is hot and dry) cap or if your not that great of welder some 7014 rod especially on an AC welder.

That is the approach I have been following on things I build/repair. I am NOT a welding guru or certified but when your stuff doesn't break and does the job, that is good enough for me. One thing with beveling, If you are using a smaller welder you are basically preheating with the first pass in my mind. It surprises a lot of people that my splitter was done with a wire feed. I stick welded for years when I started as that was what was available. I hardly ever break out the stick now. So much less waste and mess and things do not break.

For all the things I've done over the years one thought always runs through my mind when repairing a piece of equipment that was manufactured by a big name company. This stuff was probably designed by college educated engineers, welded by certified welders using new steel and good equipment yet it still broke. Fix it and you never have a problem again. Lots of times you can look at a new piece and say, "Yeah. it's going to break there and there." It just comes with experience I guess and most times companies will cut corners to keep the end cost down. After all, if something lasts forever, you never would have the need to buy another to replace it.

MVC-024S_1.JPG

Easy as 1

MVC-026S.JPG

MVC-028S.JPG

Wedge could stand having a large gusset added behind it as well. The bending force towards the top of that wedge is huge.

There was around 250 cord through it before this destructed. The square tube behind acting as a spreader litterly tore partially off no cold weld there. The beam is 2 - 4"x6"x schedule 80 tubes with a 3/8x8" plate on top plate all welded together, beam ok. I could run a 1/2" bar by x depth up from the center of the tubes welded to the 2 inside walls If I have a piece long enough ( I hate trying to weld vertically as I am terrible at that) Course if I think a bit about it, putting a slot in the spreader tube would allow for a way to add a set of 4 way wings- pin in position from inside tube or adjustabe height sliding in tube, backed up by the strengthening rib. Might just work for the straight grained stuff or some sort of slide on or bolt on assembly. That's all got wait a bit though- other items ahead in priority right now. Now ya done it got me looking at mods before I even get fixed.

There was around 250 cord through it before this destructed. The square tube behind acting as a spreader litterly tore partially off no cold weld there. The beam is 2 - 4"x6"x schedule 80 tubes with a 3/8x8" plate on top plate all welded together, beam ok. I could run a 1/2" bar by x depth up from the center of the tubes welded to the 2 inside walls If I have a piece long enough ( I hate trying to weld vertically as I am terrible at that) Course if I think a bit about it, putting a slot in the spreader tube would allow for a way to add a set of 4 way wings- pin in position from inside tube or adjustabe height sliding in tube, backed up by the strengthening rib. Might just work for the straight grained stuff or some sort of slide on or bolt on assembly. That's all got wait a bit though- other items ahead in priority right now. Now ya done it got me looking at mods before I even get fixed.
WTF is 4x6 sch 80? you guys use square/rectangular tube for plumbing in WI? also with seeing your vertical up "welds" if you want to call it that, you're way to hot on the vertical, turn it down and look up how to weave for vert up. or you could just run down, its nowhere near as strong as vertical up, but its easy and its better than what's there now...

I know all about one of those!

Oh you're a welder huh!

lol! Well, you being a newbie to AS, you probably don't know my 'reputation' yet. I'll just give you a link to another thread and you can figure it out for yourself. :D

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/uncles-baby-raffle.263374/

Sorry for the sideline - I don't want to hijack the thread. I've only used a wire-feed 110, and it's done everything I've needed it to. But then I've not welded much of anything very big, and when I did I used several passes as per protocol. I need to do some repair work on my trailer. Hopefully that'll turn out all right.

Latest posts

Back