Can this weekend warrior get by with just one saw? + tree pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This one isn't easy, but I think I would get a MS361 with 16 and 18" bars first, and add a larger saw later, if needed.....:givebeer: :popcorn:

Last edited:
This one isn't easy, but I think I would get a MS361 with 16 and 18" bars first, and add a larger saw later, if needed.....:givebeer: :popcorn:

I agree. The 361 is the best choice if you could only get one saw.

Went to the local saw shop this afternoon, they used to be Stihl and Husqvarna dealer, they swapped their Husky line for Jhonsenred, I liked the 2159 in that line, felt about right not too small not too big, but they wanted quite a bit for it. Can get a husky 359 (same saw right?) for about $100 less online,

Looked at the Stihl line, the well liked 361 felt somewhat large, I could see how it could be an all around saw, just barely small & light enough to be a daily saw, they wanted in the mid 600’s for it.

Really liked the feel of a saw converted from a top handle to rear handle, not sure what the number was it was similar to the ms200 but that was not it. IIRC it was a 19* cannot find it on Stihls web site. Seams like it would be really easy to use for the very small jobs, like attacking undergrowth thicket but probably under powered for the 6"-8" stuff

In my opinion, the 372 is the best sized all around saw, especially if you're going to be doing some big cutting. It's not drastically heavier than the smaller saws, but it has much more power. Not to mention, Bailey's has a great price on them.

Very tempting,

That seams like a lot of saw for the money, a 372XP would definatly take care of the big stuff, at 15 pounds that pushes me solidly into two saw territory though, the 372XP is discintued right? I read at norwalk that the 575XP is its replacement, I like the specs on the 372XP better, same power, less weight, less vibration, last chance to get one.

From Norwalk

372XP
575XP

Engine Size
70.7cc
73.5cc

Power
5.4hp
5.4hp

Powerhead Weight
13.4 lbs
14.9 lbs

Handle Vibration Levels (M/S2)
3.1 Front / 4.6 Rear
5.0 Front / 5.4 Rear

Think I am going to have to go for it, should be able to get the 372XP a bar and chain delivered for less than the 361 locally.

Pretty sure I will have to back fill with a smaller saw later, but I’ll see if I can haul around a 15-pound saw all day without ?????ing.

Any bar and chain recommendations from baileys? Not sure I have the skills required so I want a non-kickback chain, considering the large oak logs and large saw should I go for a 24" bar as the big bar?

The soil here is sand, Ideally the bar would never touch any sand but it gets everywhere, does that sway bar selection as far as wear? I think they may be part of what killed the poulan.

The 361 in your area is overpriced by $50-100.

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS192CE.html

That does seem a little high.

I will go along with the majority in a boring manner. Go to a good dealer, Husky, Jonsered, Stihl, or Dolmar. Tell them you want the best saw you can get out the door for 400 bucks (or whatever your limit is) and see what they will do for you. Whatever it is, it will run circles around a tired Poulan. Save up for a big saw later (you'll want a big saw if you get into those oaks sometime) maybe even a used one.

Or you can get something more serious now, but it's going to cost you some cabbage.

I'm in the same situation as you with little trees and up to 3-4'ers. I like the 372 with a small "crappy" saw combonation. I use my husky 141 for little stuff as its very light and it dices up stuff under 5" just fine. Anything bigger and I use the 372 with a 20" bc.

He has a point!
I always say go with what feels good to you not everybody is the same! What's with you giving a Stihl some positive words, Paw getting to you?

No just figured I would tell him about my friend John's saw and what he does with it.If he likes stihl more power to him you just won't change my opinion about them.

I'm in the same situation as you with little trees and up to 3-4'ers. I like the 372 with a small "crappy" saw combonation. I use my husky 141 for little stuff as its very light and it dices up stuff under 5" just fine. Anything bigger and I use the 372 with a 20" bc.

When I do climb all I use is my 141,unless big sections of trunk or limbs in which case the 51 comes out to play.They are both excellent saws..

I believe the saw he was referring to is the ms200 (rear handled ms200t). I haven't used one, but I have heard andy aka lakeside speak of them favorably. I'm not a big fan of the 019T/MS19XT family of saws.

saw ???????????

try a husky 460. the husky 460 with 24" bar and full skip chain and a 18" bar
comp chain would be ok for the work you describe. the husky is by no means a pro saw . but 60cc is plenty of power for the type of use it is desgned for.:chainsaw: :cheers: :popcorn:

One saw or two saws, ...?:) I don't understand the question. You want more than one saw, and if you hang out here for very long, you'll want more than two saws. For your bigger saw I would recommend a Dolmar 7900 or a 372 XP, and for the small saw a 5100 should work nicely.:greenchainsaw:

And if you can't get a Husky372xp, get the better looking sister Jred 2171
attachment.php

Going on the first question, 60cc and commercial grade, two bars though, 16" and 24", the 24" strictly for the giant logs only, the 16" for the 85% regen clearing, though a single 18" can cover both, just need to be patient on the big stuff either way

I like the idea of the 372xp now, and a smaller saw later...

....but Imo, there is a considerable weight differense between the MS361 and the 372xp, much more than the specs of both saws indicate + you will have to bring more fuel, as it is not as fuel ecomomic.....

Well if you are only going to get one saw to do the work it may be worth the expense .

I liked the 2159 in that line, felt about right not too small not too big, but they wanted quite a bit for it.

Yes I know Jonsered dealers seem to ask a premium price for there wares. Online you can get deals, but when you buy from a dealer -- they log it in their computer and it seems to me at least that they try to give you good service.

That saw the 2159 is fast becoming my favorite saw it may just be my imagination or the fact that it is my newest saw but I like it a lot.If I needed more saw the 2171 would be it. Stihl is also my favorite saw as I seem to have less down time with them.

Latest posts

Back