Can this weekend warrior get by with just one saw? + tree pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on the saw. They are great saws. Destined to be a legend.
Learn your saw maintenance, the life of any saw depends on it..

Been reading here and I am realizing that the Pouloans problems were in part due to my abuse over the years, I have never trued the bar, did not own wedges so when the bar got pinched I had to just yank it out, never sharpened my own chain, small shop down the road did it with a grinder, so that means it did not get done often. and I kept using it when the oiler became flaky probably the worst move.

after reading here and going over the owners and service manual for my new husky I think I have a handle on what I need to do to keep this one from that fate.

So uhh....you got any plans for the old poulan?

Mow already called dibs.:hmm3grin2orange: He just loves them pull ons espically the wild thingeys.

I did not see where Mow (Just Mow?) had wanted it?

With my new found knowledge I am going to give it a looking over, it is still siting in a shed down in FL, I was so disgusted with it did not bother to bring it back. I'll see if I can do anything with the oiler, if I can then maybe a new bar & chain and chain catcher (it is tweaked) and it can play the role of small/stump/loaner/rescue saw,

If I cannot do anything with it I'll let you guys know someone can have it for the cost of shipping, it belongs with one of you saw heads, I would not want to sell/give a chain flinger to some regular joe who would get hurt with it.

Heading down to FL this weekend to give the new Husky a try, so far these are the extra’s I have gathered, maybe make a good list for someone else starting out also,

Labonville chaps, peltor helmet/face shield/ear muff combo, I figure sweating is better than bleeding, that pic of that guys face (or what is left of it) on here scared the crap out of me.
ABS red head Wedges, 10" x2, 12" and a funky 3 angle
16" Carlton bar (re badged BG for ~$15) and two Oregon 72v chains and an 8 tooth sprocket for use with the 16" bar
24" husky bar, 2x 72V, 2x 72LG, 1x Stihl RSC chains, plan to use this bat the most,
36" Carlton bar (also real cheap) but have not been able to source any skip chain for it.
Chain files, a roller guide, and a raker guide,
Pfred bar file and holder,
A DTI 20K tachometer, already tuned my old Husky 232L trimmer with it. worked great except for fighting the limiter cap on the L screw, the manual said on the low screw to find the highest idle RPM then roll back a ¼ turn towards rich, problem was the highest point was at the stop, so I just came back a ¼ turn from the stop, may be a bit richer than ideal but better than lean.
I found some 0% ethanol gas (used the water test) at BP,
Mobil 1 2T oil.
MSR 650mL fuel bottle to mix one tank at a time & a Childs medicine measuring spoon to accurately meter out oil (16mL of oil in the fuel bottle makes 40:1)
Wesson canola oil, yep going to give it a try as bar oil
PowerBox to put it all in (well all that will fit anyway)
anything major i am missing?

This is the best place on the web to find info on Chainsaws,

Thank you

beer.gif
beer.gif
beer.gif
beer.gif
beer.gif
beer.gif

Last edited:
372XP is a great choice, the weight wont be so bad to lug around when you see how much less time you will spend in the cut. Sawing takes more human energy than carrying saws anyway IMO. You will also find that your poulan wasn't that light of a saw, around 11 lbs.

I have not had the two side by side yet but the 372 seams heavier but not by that much considering the power difference,

The poulan is a "50th anniversary" looks a lot like a wild thing,

The fact that you abused the Poulan doesn't mean it was well built and your abuse killed it.
I have seen a tree company kill a Poulan in one day.
Other saws (Stihl and Husky) also abused, last six months or more.
I don't agree with the way they treat their saws, but I do think it is a torture test that really illustrates how well built the pro saws are.

Enjoy that 372. I'd love to run one, but heck, I have more saws than I need.:laugh:

Last edited:
Put two tanks through it today took down 5 maples ranging from 5" to 16" , man that thing is fast :rock:

Lewft bicep (the one that hold the saw up) is not in a good a shape as the right and feels it tonight,

maybe I need to do daily chain saw curls to get that arm in shape.

Mow, would not want it. I asked and he said no.

Mow, would not want it. I asked and he said no.

Yeah,,Mow Cant handle the Poulan Power.

The Sheer Torque off that thing is enough to tear your shoulders clear out their sockets. The wood practically disentegrates at the mere thought of a Good running poulan.

Poulan > Stihl

Poulan > All other brands

Also, fwiw, I only use 2 brands of Bar oil..and Ive tried most out there.

I found that Poulan Oil flowed well with a manual oiler, not sure why, but it just seems to not take as much force to squeeze it out.

Shindaiwa oil seemed to stick best on my auto oilers.

Currently Im running through a gallon of some crap from Oreillys...Holy Hell, that stuff sucks.

Ive been known to run some other stuff...
9222530.jpg
I like it too.

Never used cooking oil...cant say how well it works.

Yeah,,Mow Cant handle the Poulan Power.

The Sheer Torque off that thing is enough to tear your shoulders clear out their sockets. The wood practically disentegrates at the mere thought of a Good running poulan.

Poulan > Stihl

Poulan > All other brands

Also, fwiw, I only use 2 brands of Bar oil..and Ive tried most out there.

I found that Poulan Oil flowed well with a manual oiler, not sure why, but it just seems to not take as much force to squeeze it out.

Shindaiwa oil seemed to stick best on my auto oilers.

Currently Im running through a gallon of some crap from Oreillys...Holy Hell, that stuff sucks.

Ive been known to run some other stuff...
9222530.jpg
I like it too.

Never used cooking oil...cant say how well it works.

I'm glad you are on here.
Everybody needs a good joke once in a while.

..... Think I am going to have to go for it, should be able to get the 372XP a bar and chain delivered for less than the 361 locally.

You will have to, with the 372xp, in the real world it feels a lot larger and heavier than the 361. It also consumes a lot more fuel, that you have to bring.

Don't use a 24" as your main bar on the 372, just when you really need it - it handles better with an 18-20" one.

after reading your reply did an extensive search of past threads, could only find one reference to breaking 372XP springs and it is a bit light on details,

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=46033&highlight=372XP+springs

found the same number of broken Stihl AV spring threads, one.

are you sure they break "regularly" or just rarely?

BTW the 440 is $720 vs $570 for the 372.

Congrats on your new saw (372)
As far a springs breaking. You will find that they do, but not as often as the stihl heads would like you to believe.
The only reason I could come up with is Husky hardens there springs more then the Stihls are.
Stihls may not break as much, how ever there is spring fatigue. Ie. they get spongy.

Glad you finally got to run you 372. I run my 372 with a 24" almost exclusively. I have a 20" and 32", but the 24 is on it 90% of the time with full comp chain.

Now the 36" you have may be another matter altogether. Mine pulls a 32", but not as gracefully as I'd like in hard oak.

----
24" husky bar, 2x 72V, 2x 72LG, 1x Stihl RSC chains, plan to use this bat the most, .....

The best of those chains should be the RSC, the 72V is more ot less worthless, and the 72LG reasonably good, 72 LP would have been better.
.....:chainsawguy:

Just wanted to stop by and post my thanks,

you guys are probably well aware of what this saw can do I but am still fining out,

Ran into this large Live Oak trunk and I was able to cut it into 100 pound cookies in an afternoon, the 372 did not stop for anything, well except for lack of fuel witch seamed to happen pretty often. pic about half way through.

Finding logs like this makes me want to get into milling, would much rather walk away with oak boards than cookies, gonna have to get another was for that ;)

attachment.php

Last edited:
Congrats on the 372XP!!! It is not given to everyone to pick the best saw on the first shot! You just bought THE saw.

Welcome to the site.
One saw, like the MS361 may be all you NEED, but if you stay on here long enough, you'll have at least 3 saws! Start with one good one, and if it's too much for the small stuff, get a small 30-40cc saw for limbing. And if it's not enough get the Dolmar 7900 for the big stuff, if you need to.

Latest posts

Back