Can this weekend warrior get by with just one saw? + tree pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well if you are only going to get one saw to do the work it may be worth the expense .

Yes I know Jonsered dealers seem to ask a premium price for there wares. Online you can get deals, but when you buy from a dealer -- they log it in their computer and it seems to me at least that they try to give you good service.

That saw the 2159 is fast becoming my favorite saw it may just be my imagination or the fact that it is my newest saw but I like it a lot.If I needed more saw the 2171 would be it. Stihl is also my favorite saw as I seem to have less down time with them.
I know the feeling really like my 2159! It has a muffler mod so she runs cool,the smoothest saw I own. Never put a bigger bar on it than 18'' seems to feel good with that bar.
In my case I can get the Jred cheaper than a Husky and plan to buy more!

Last edited:
One saw or two saws, ...?:) I don't understand the question. You want more than one saw, and if you hang out here for very long, you'll want more than two saws.

LOL I have been reading here for a Few days, what started as a one saw plan has turned into a 2 saw plan, and already the 3 saw plan is already spinning in my head (30cc, 50cc, 70CC) but that all will have to wait for another day. I am already confused enough.

I went to another dealer today they did not have a 372 but I did handle a 575XP ($799 ouch) witch is a similar size/weight saw, Troll you are right, heavier than a 361 but still feels manageable with the "big saw" role in mind.

Seeing that price I was ready to pull the trigger on the $569 372XP at baileys,

But ran into 2 snags

They have both a 372XP and a 372XPW back in stock witch has a 75CC engine, the 372XP come with both the full wrap and half wrap bar so that is a plus for it.

Been reading past threads and there does not seam to be any consensus on why the "W" has the larger cylinder but the same rated power, any new info?

Some say that it is to counteract an added EPA restriction, If is an EPA restriction is it just as simple as buying a standard muffler and muffler mod to un-tap the power of the extra 5CC? Or is that restriction in the porting etc that I cannot do anything about?

In short do I want the 372XP or 372XPW?

Snag 2, Bars,

Baileys has some closeout bars that are attractive, but the 4 that will fit this saw (HU) are ridiculous on both ends,

Carelton Pro Champ
Too Short:
CPC 13 HU58 13" 3/3 .058 $17.95
CPC 16 HU50 16" 3/8 .050 $17.95
CPC 17 HU58 17" 3/8 .058 $14.95

Way Too long
CPC 36 HU63 36" 3/8 .063 $29.95

Supposedly there are good bars remarked under the Carleton name, and the price is great, when is the next time I will be able to buy a good 36" bar for $30? I do have 36" longs would be cool to cut them in one pass but even with a full skip semi chisel chain can this saw cut with that bar? I understand it won’t be ideal but will it cut Or is it just a $30 shop decoration? Remember I am a recent poulan user so cut speed expectation is low.

The 16" bar is small for this saw but might be usable for the little stuff until I get the small saw, ( especially if the other bar option is 36” :dizzy: ) the 17 just sounds like a pain to find pre-made chain for especially in .058.

Or should I just forget the Carlton bars and get a 24" Oregon bar?

Thanks

Edit, maybe worth $30 to have arround,

Well, because of this thread, I tried a 36" bar with skip link chain on my lowly, muffler modded 372 yesterday, cutting firewood out of ponderosa that was about 34" through the largest cut. I wouldn't want to make a habit out of it, but for those occasions where a shorter bar is too much work, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Last edited:
Get the 24 inch bar....

I believe the two 372 versions have the same muffler. Porting design is different and that is why the W is rated at the same power. I just ordered two W's....as I have my saws woods modded, and the W will then outperform the 70.7 cc model.

In fact, word is, from my saw builder ehp, the W will keep up with or beat a 7900 Dolmar after both are modded.

Looking forward to getting the ported W in my hands, can then compare it with my stock 7900 and ported 7900 by a different builder. (The W's are replacing a ehp 372 that my crew totalled by dropping a log on it from aloft.) The stock W that I have in my hands has only had a few tanks through it, but it is noticably a fair bit slower than my just now broken in stock 7900.

Last edited:
Get the 24 inch bar....

I believe the two 372 versions have the same muffler. Porting design is different and that is why the W is rated at the same power. I just ordered two W's....as I have my saws woods modded, and the W will then outperform the 70.7 cc model.

In fact, word is, from my saw builder ehp, the W will keep up with or beat a 7900 Dolmar after both are modded. ...

I believe the W and non-W from Baileys both have the same C&P (75cc), the difference is the handlebar style.:biggrinbounce2:

..but I can confirm that Ed said what you say about the 75 vs. 71 cc versions......:cheers:

MS361, welcome to AS

Hey MOW Look I got something for you
attachment.php

Works every time.:laugh:

Seeing that you never mentioned Stihl.

You have two choices Husky or Jonsered.
I say go big like the 2171
then go small like the 346xp.

LOL I have been reading here for a Few days, what started as a one saw plan has turned into a 2 saw plan, and already the 3 saw plan is already spinning in my head (30cc, 50cc, 70CC) but that all will have to wait for another day. I am already confused enough.

Wait till you get to the 6 saw plan :help: .
30cc top handle limber saw
50cc
60cc
80cc under
100cc under
over 100+cc's

Then throw in all of the back up saws to the ones in the main list:biggrinbounce2: .

Got the saw :)

couple observations, I had read in the archives that 372's can have either 1 or two rings, this one has two.

Muffler is completely empty, no cat or even a baffle,

Baileys was offering a free half wrap handle with each 372XP, that lead me to believe it would come with a full wrap installed, nope came with a half wrap installed, now I have two of the same half handle :confused:,

Anybody got a relatively new full wrap they want to trade? or should I just sell it?

top sticker says 71cc

Off to hunt down a 775CC MSR fuel can.

Thanks for the help :cheers:

Pics

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

(S/N digitally altered)
attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Raven,

Having now read your post, I think you made a good choice. The 372 should do fine for the oaks you have. I think you'll also find the 372 will do fine on the smaller stuff with the small bar. You won't "need" a smaller saw, but if you're doing a lot of cutting every year, you'll probably want one to save weight and have a saw to get the other one out of a pinch. I've heard that every once in a while one of the guys here on the forum has had their saw in a bind....

72 huskys break their springs(vibration springs) with monotonous regularity, 044's/ 440's are a better bet for reliability..

Stihls are better known for breaking the hand and arm bones of their users due to excessive vibration!

Last edited:
72 huskys break their springs(vibration springs) with monotonous regularity, 044's/ 440's are a better bet for reliability..

after reading your reply did an extensive search of past threads, could only find one reference to breaking 372XP springs and it is a bit light on details,

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=46033&highlight=372XP+springs

found the same number of broken Stihl AV spring threads, one.

are you sure they break "regularly" or just rarely?

BTW the 440 is $720 vs $570 for the 372.

Last edited:
You can break any saw mounts if you cut with a dull chain, pull on the handles too hard, or any number of other abuses.

Congrats on the saw. They are great saws. Destined to be a legend.
Learn your saw maintenance, the life of any saw depends on it.

I have never broken a anti-vibe spring on one yet, I have been running them since they came out with springs. I have never even heard of such a thing before. In fact I have had several rubber anti-vibe failures.

Mow already called dibs.:hmm3grin2orange: He just loves them pull ons espically the wild thingeys.

372XP is a great choice, the weight wont be so bad to lug around when you see how much less time you will spend in the cut. Sawing takes more human energy than carrying saws anyway IMO. You will also find that your poulan wasn't that light of a saw, around 11 lbs.

Latest posts

Back