cat muffler mods and preformance gains?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeSurfer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
wondering if just a basic opening of the muffler exit ports on my 359s cat muffler will make it run a little cooler? are there any preformance gains at all since its a catalytic muffler?

Last edited:
Maybe go the route of my truck and remove the cat? :msp_smile:

anyone? i need to know if modding a catalytic muffler will give me any power gains.

take the cat out and open up your exit port,, will make it run a lot better and cooler, just make sure you richen up the low and high side of the carb

Yes, it's very, very likely that the removal of a restrictive muffler and installation of a well tuned exhaust system will significantly increase the engine's power output.

2 strokes are sensitive to restriction.

However, is a gutted cat muffler with a larger hole a well tuned exhaust? Not even close. Will it help? Probably.

You can and probably should open the exit port AND open up the cat somehow.When the muffler is off and look inside through the port that bolts to the jug you can see just how restrictive the cat baffle is.There are a lot of opinions on how to modify the catalyst-----I drilled several half-inch holes through mine to allow better flow.I read about that method from someone on this site,however,some say that the cat is made of a material that is dangerous to your health and should not be messed with. A new non cat muffler is probably the easiest method,but I believe they are restrictive,too.I drilled out the cat,as stated above,and opened up the exit port and it MADE A BIG DIFFERENCE.YOU WILL NEED TO RETUNE THE CARB(give the engine more fuel) by adjusting atleast the H jet.

Ron

Back