Chain question for the brain trust.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrassGuerilla

Olympic Piss-reving wanna be.
Reaction score
If the majority of what you cut was dead, dry, brittle storm damaged branches. What would you run? .325 semi or .375 semi chisel? Or would even smaller cutters be preferred? Assuming the use of an under 50cc powerhead.

For many years I used a HusqV 246 w a narrow kerf bar and Oregon 95VP chain for cutting up the smaller parts of dead hedge trees. At present I am using a Dolmar 421 w 3/8 Lo-pro bar and chain for very similar work. The 3/8lp may be a touch faster, but the 95VP is smoother in the cut and isnt as "grabby" on the smaller limbs. The 421 will get switched over to 95VP soon.

The OP has not said what size saw except under 50cc. For a 35cc saw 3/8 picco works and you for sure don't want .325 for that. I think 45cc is about the minimum for .325 chain

Im not disagreeing with you at all, Cat, I'm just trying to learn more like everybody else. What observations led you to this conclusion. I continue to look for just the right combination for my TSI worksaw.

If the majority of what you cut was dead, dry, brittle storm damaged branches. What would you run? .325 semi or .375 semi chisel? Or would even smaller cutters be preferred? Assuming the use of an under 50cc powerhead.

The OP has not said what size saw except under 50cc. For a 35cc saw 3/8 picco works and you for sure don't want .325 for that. I think 45cc is about the minimum for .325 chain

Good point, he didn't mention 3/8 picco though. So .325 semi would be the answer to the question he has presented us. Excuse me.................he said "even smaller cutters"......................I stand corrected.

Im not disagreeing with you at all, Cat, I'm just trying to learn more like everybody else. What observations led you to this conclusion. I continue to look for just the right combination for my TSI worksaw.

Different saws, different wood, different conclusions. I tell what I have experienced only

Good input, I'm setting up another grass rig and will be equipping it with a small saw for fallen branches. I've had an Echo cs4400 that has served me well in this capacity for years. I have a Shindaiwa 446s that will likely go in the new rig. Both around 44cc. Anything bigger is going to be more involved than the crew should tackle without a bid. I also picked up a couple new Husqvarnas (545 & 346xp) although those wont be beat up on a grass route. More for dedicated saw work. One likely to be ported the other most likely stock for now.

I barely trust them with 2&3 cube saws. A ported 5 cube would not likely end well.

The cc is of course not the only factor, and I would say about 40cc and up for .325 - the 339xp (39cc 1.8 kW) performs well with .325 narrow kerf, and I don't think many users wanted to change the 42cc 242xp to 3/8" lo-pro.

My point really is that there really are no firm rules regarding cc vs. chain - they are pretty flexible! :D

Convenience really, i don't have any saws i run .325 on, my top handles have 3/8 lp and the rest run 3/8. My 421 came with lp and it pulls the lp pretty hard after i gut the muffler and put a real chain it and im happy with it.

Latest posts

Back