Chain question for the brain trust.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's odd my friend, as it isn't logic at all - and opposite of the limited experiense I have with it.

Hello Niko. I believe its just because the cutters are bigger. I'll never use .325 again on any saw that will pull this larger stuff.

Hello Niko. I believe its just because the cutters are bigger. I'll never use .325 again on any saw that will pull this larger stuff.

Larger cutters on 3/8 lo-pro, than on .325 - hardly! It is the other way around, for sure - which in reflected in the fact that they take a (much) smaller file for sharpening (usually 4.0mm vs. 4.8).

Hi cow ,how ya been? miss your udderly crazy sense of humor.:laugh:

I'm good. Didn't think anybody missed me here though. How you been?

Seriously, I do find the lopro will stay sharp longer than .325. No idea why. The stuff I'm using is oregon, which is not my favorite chain, but I really like this type.

Seriously, I do find the lopro will stay sharp longer than .325. No idea why. The stuff I'm using is oregon, which is not my favorite chain, but I really like this type.
been good. hope all is well with you.

DSS, are you pulling my leg? What oregon 3/8 lo pro has bigger cutters than .325? Stihl PS has the biggest cutters of any 3/8 lo pro I've seen, and its still considerably smaller than those of .325

I need a dang chart...

I'm not pulling anything. Yes the cutters are smaller than .325. . I'm not sure why, but I can sharpen it easier than .325. Not sure why it stays sharp either. Just reporting my findings.

Your mileage may vary.

How did the olympics go? Any medals on the piss revving front?

No joy. I'm a 2016 hopeful (assuming Moobs can stuff some extra piss in one for me).

Cool bro, just looking for experienced opinions. Even bovine:)
Good to see ya here again.

Edit: No cows were harmed in the making of this avatar...

I can't add any thing about any lopro chain...never used any...but I have a small Jotul cookstove..it takes 12" long wood..I burn around 2.5 cord /yr in this stove....this is PITA wood to work up..either you take a normal sized piece of wood and split it to bits or you use up the limbs, branches and tops while cutting my regular firewood.....I do the latter and generally I would use a 49cc saw with .325 for this task which is very grabby in that small stuff (1"-4")......one day I needed a chain and looked around the shop and all I could come up with that didn't need grinding was a 3/8 super safety chain that came on a junk saw with a good bar. I intended to throw the chain away but it was new and I couldn't bring myself to do so. I have no idea what brand it is and by super safety chain, I mean it has large twin bumpers that ride ahead of the rakers......anyway I put it and the bar on my 521E and proceeded to get right into a couple very bushy maple tops.....to my utter amazement this set up was the smoothest I had ever run in this dry, hard, small wood......cut well and absolutely no tendency to grab this light wood and beat your shins to death, even out near the end of the bar....of course you couldn't cut a stick of butter using the tip but for small miserable wood this is the best set up I've used.....

I'll try them just because you like them!! LOL
How yah been old Friend? We miis yah too!! Been married 25 years today!! Anequs just said " you didn't have to leave AS just because I did!" LOL

Give the Stihl PS the non bumper link a go. I find it a better bet than VXL, not as "grabby"& stays sharp longer ( but maybe thats just me) I find the last bought roll of VXL to be poorer quality than the previous ones.
I'd have to have loops made because Stihl doesn't make PS/PS3 in 56dl and dealers here don't even have loops of it let alone spin one.

Latest posts

Back