Choice of saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liberty

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am looking for a small saw for limbing after I drop a tree with my 372xpw. I am not a pro. I am looking at the Husky 137 or 142 Vs. Stihl ms 200 or 210. Possible other choices in that class? Pro's and cons. Thanks

If you want a small saw without the big price tag look at all the Echo's on eBay for real cheap, new in the box.

I think you are wasting your money on this one, The 372 is a great limbing saw, I wish I had one. I usually use my 044 for limbing which is about the same size and weight. Thoes little saws are just gona make you mad. They only weigh about 2 or 3 lbs less and dont even have half the HP. I refuse to say it but shortly someone is gona tell you if you want a lighter saw for limming the 361 is perfect.

The 361 is too heavy for limbing all the time IMHO...at least for a non pro wussie like me.

I much prefer my 026 or 200T for limbing, the 200T is a hell of a good running saw and is very very light.

For a small lightweight saw, the ms180 would be a better alternative than that crap from lowes. If you ever use a ms200, you will fall in love. Well worth the money.

I would say go with a 260 or 5100, both awesome limbing saws and can fell/buck smaller stuff.

Echo CS-306 or CS-346 are a good choice for limbing. the Poulan PRO series saws aern't too bad for occasional use. I am not fond of smaller Husky saws, the 350 is the smallest Husky I would recommend outside of the small XP saws. Stihl need not be mentioned.

In as much as you bought it up - the MS200(rear handle) is one hell of a saw. Cuts like a light sabre, quick as a scalpel and just a great light saw; yea its expensive but it's a runner and should last a loooong time - if you remember to pick up your big saw and not bury the 200.

Flat out love it! :clap:

In as much as you bought it up - the MS200(rear handle) is one hell of a saw. Cuts like a light sabre, quick as a scalpel and just a great light saw; yea its expensive but it's a runner and should last a loooong time - if you remember to pick up your big saw and not bury the 200.

Flat out love it! :clap:

+1 on the MS200

Whats your dollar limit? You mentioned a $600 saw (200) and a $150 saw (137) in your opening post. There are a billion saws in between.

For $400 I think the Dolmar 5100s is the best saw for the money. For $300 its the 350 Husky if you can find one. For $200 get a dinky Stihl or Echo

Smaller huskies

I am looking for a small saw for limbing after I drop a tree with my 372xpw. I am not a pro. I am looking at the Husky 137 or 142 Vs. Stihl ms 200 or 210. Possible other choices in that class? Pro's and cons. Thanks

Big mistake dude. XP huskies are nice, the 137/42 are NOT. Unless you like throwing chains, leaking oil and a super heavy saw power to weight, your better off looking at a light dolmar, i.e. the 510 or 460. The little MS-210 is a MUCH better saw than the cheap husky's, maybe not on paper, but in the field, ours has held up much better than the husky. You'll be disappointed if you go the cheap husky route. Buy a poulan from walfart, same thing only in green...

:cheers:

The two saw setup:70cc/50cc- your halfway there. I have the the 372, and if I had the extra $, there would also be a NE346XP or a 5100. The 5100 has the inboard clutch which is a +.

The two saw setup:70cc/50cc- your halfway there. I have the the 372, and if I had the extra $, there would also be a NE346XP or a 5100. The 5100 has the inboard clutch which is a +.

Yep - but the NE346xp is a tad lighter and more nimble as a limbing saw - it is sort of a trade-off. :)

If you want to go smaller, the MS200 and 339xp are the real alternatives, forget the 137, 142, 180, 210 etc......

Last edited:
just go with a 50cc saw take your pick. Husqvarna 346xp Dolmar 5100 or Stihl260. The 200 is a good saw but too small for some limbing.

Latest posts

Back