Choosing a new saw and warranty concerns

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would go with the original plan (echo 400). A very nice running saw that is set very lean out of the box. Just needs richening and muffler mod then runs very good. If you lived closer you could try mine.

261---the Stihl Strato's do take a little longer to warm up, but are no more difficult to start. I had a 441 and currently own a 261. Both crank just fine but stumble some until they warm up...it's not the tuning, I promise you. All saws do this, but is seems these just take longer to clear up than most. It's not a big issue, but just something you notice a little. Give it thirty seconds and it's good to go.

Echo---there are some real cheerleaders for them.

Dolmar---5100 is out and replaced by the 5105--both are very good saws. The 5100's have a reputation for being set too lean from the factory and toasting the top-end. That problem has been addressed in the 5105 and it seems to be a trouble-free saw. I own several Dolmars and would have no problem recommmending them were it not for better choices.

Husky---346 and 550 are the top saws in the 50cc class. The 346 is tried and true with 100's of thousands of them out there and running. The 550 sports some new technology. It is a tick faster and a couple of ounces lighter than the 346, but it is also experiencing some teething pains as all new models do. The bars for the 346/550 will swap with the 5100/5105.

If you're serious about saws, stop reading and interpreting "consumer" reviews like they are experts. Stick to saw-in-wood feedback from people who know. For instance, the notion about cold starting Stihls and Echo problems is totally out of line with my experience. I have a 261, and it's a great torquey saw that starts just fine year round. If you want to eliminate it from the list, weight is probably the most rational reason. I also have an Echo CS-400, and it's by far my easiest starting and most user-friendly saw -- I consider it the sleeper of the whole bunch. The factory tune on it was just fine and I have run it hard for over a year with nothing but praise. The Echo 500P is a great light 50cc saw and should definitely be on the list (and it's on sale right now and a great value).

Based on what I hear from my local dealers who sell Echo, Stihl, and Husky, idiot customers running bad gas is their biggest problem by far. The latest story I heard is that they had to replace a $130 M-tronic carb for a customer who put old gas through his brand new 441 M-tronic on the very first tank. Another recent one was running gas with no oil through a new Husky and seized it up. In both cases, the customers came in with guns blazing. Then their are folks who can't work the choke/start controls, flood them in a heartbeart, then complain about hard starting. Those are often the kinds of people who write reviews on the internet.

Listen to experienced people like nmurph and others and then deside what to choose. As far as I have understood you can get very good rebuilt 346's from him at a fraction of the cost of a new one.

All saws mentioned are very high in quality so any complaining is on the top of the pyramid.

One thing you might want to add is the value for the money.
1. Stihl & Husqvarna are top of the line no doubt about it. There is a very good dealer network.
2. Dolmar/Makita are usually a little less money. Dealer network depends on your area.
3. Echo is usually the cheapest. Dealer network depends on your area.

All saws should be checked if the carb settings are correct before elaborate use. I have read many threads here recomending the echo 400 after a muffler mod and retune so it might still be a good option.

Good luck,

If you are an occasional user the best advice I can give is to buy a saw before you do a lot of cutting. Don't buy a saw and then let it sit on a shelf for a year and then start using it.

Frequently warranty defects will manifest in the first few hours of running the saw. In my book if you get through this, and without any problems, then the saw will likely continue to run well and without problems.

In the eyes of the manufacturers with pro saws, the saws are going to be used quite a bit, and so it is unrealistic to offer a warranty for several years in a pro-saw, because sooner or later, given the use most of those saws receive, some part on the saw will give out, and it will likely have nothing to do with the saw itself but everything to do with the use and or abuse that the saw has received.

Go with good, competent local dealer support. Chances are it will be more important than the brand.

I'd stay away from echo saws just because they are typically pretty boring and don't really have a class leader anywhere in my book.

I'd look at the Jonsered 2153 as well, its the twin to the 346 and is generally a few bucks cheaper than a 346. I also think the cs500p is an awesome saw, its light, and has an inboard clutch like the 261 so chain swaps are easier. I have a bunch of local landscapers and tree services running 500p's and haven't had a complaint yet. The only thing I dont like is the damper spring in the recoil, but it makes up for no decomp or primer. Echo ran the 500p as a Shindaiwa 502 for a year in Canada with no warranties so I wouldn't shy away from one.

I am a Hardwood Logger and don't have the need for a saw that small . Most of the stuff I cut is big Hardwood and now that the Hemlock is dieing we have been cutting all of it down that is merchantable but we don't limb the softwood so the smallest saws that I run are 75cc Husky 372xpw and Dolmar 7900 But my 2 Favorites are my ECsaws Solo 681 and my ECsaws 390xp. I also have 2 other ported 390xp's. But about 2years ago I bought a Dolmar 5100S and I love that little saw. I really like the 5105 with the outside dog and higher rev limiter. But the 5100S that I have is great all that I did to it was squared off and cleaned up the ports and put it back together without a base gasket . I also smoothed off the carb screws and shafts and put a screw with some Hi-temp gasket goo in the tube the goes from the bottom of the air filter to the top of the carb which is basically what the difference is between a 5100s and 5105 the air filter. I then cut the limiters off of the carb adjustments and reset them to about 1turn out for both high and low speed jets. That saw is very impressive and I have $250 in the whole saw and it is so much fun to run . I cut all of my hedges with it and firewood. any trimming or pruning is also done with this saw. I have never had a problem with the saw at all. Just try to find ethenol free gas or atleast E10 and mix at 40:1 with Stihl mixxing oil in the Orange bottle. That is what I use in all of my saws and so far so good never had one blow up, top end or bottom end . I am a Husky guy but there mixxing oil sucks.Which ever one you choose to buy blow out the saw often that way it doesn't hold in more heat and damage something. Heat is your enemy. But if you are a newbie I would buy a Husky 562xp with a 20" B&C that way you get the best all around saw that a firewood guy could buy but if you're stuck on a 50cc saw I would go with a 5105 0r a 346xp.

I won't be buying another Husky. Took my 6 month old husky 555 in to the dealer, because it starts and dies. The tech determined that a "check ball" or "valve" that controls fuel to the"main jet" is defective/stuck open and allowing too much fuel flooding the engine. Needs an updated carb but husky won't honour warranty since the engine ran on the first tank of fuel the carburetor can't be defective. I've got 10 saws, some 30 years old that still run great and never needed a new carb for any of them. A call to huskvarna customer service they say there has been no problems with carbs on any of the new autotune saws. Screw me once shame on you, I won't give them the chance to screw me again. After I over $200 for a new carb the 555 is gone, haven't decided if I'll keep my 346. Like a lot of other folks here I might become a Stihl man.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

First thing take the 261 off the list like cutting with a raccon in a cage. No balance. So grab a 600p off ebay and call it good more power and cheaper u wont need a warranty if you run it good.

I've got an Echo 400, great little saw, good limbing/brush saw. I have had nothing but good service out of the small Echos for years. BUT, I wouldn't want one for my primary fire wood saw. TOO SMALL for every day fire wood saw.

I would think 55cc would be the smallest saw you'd want for making fire wood. Good luck in your search.

Took my 6 month old husky 555 in to the dealer, because it starts and dies. The tech determined that a "check ball" or "valve" that controls fuel to the"main jet" is defective/stuck open and allowing too much fuel flooding the engine. Needs an updated carb but husky won't honour warranty since the engine ran on the first tank of fuel the carburetor can't be defective.

Just goes to show that any brand is not perfect nor is any manufacturer when it comes to warranty issues. Brand bashers in particular please take note.

Far more important in my mind to find a product you like and then a good dealer to work on your saw. Warranty is mostly just a piece of paper anyway, and not worth much.

I used to believe that warranty is not top priority. Well just a little over a month ago I got a great deal on a brand new Dolmar 420 in Makita blue as the 4301, which by the way would be a great alternative! Well unpack, fill mix & chainoil and pull with choke on, hear the pop and switch to normal mode and nothing! I pull and pull and pull and start smelling gas, take out the wet spark plug, blow the plug and the cylinder dry with the compressor, try again and again and again and again and again and again and again and still nothing. :angry: My arm hurts. Try all tricks I know or have read here the next few days. Finally go back to the store and they say go directly to Makita Austria it will be much faster. So drive there after work. Leave the saw there "my take a few days or weeks...". I mean be serious. Well go home. Next day at work phone call "All finished and ready to pick up!".:rock: So after new coil & spark plug. Two pulls cold on choke and first pop, one pull on half choke and of she runs! :msp_thumbsup: Just ran two refills through and she runs very smooth.

So after this experience 1. warrenty is good, 2. warrenty problems arise usually after a very shortly after purchase!

Back