Crane rental

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfking42084

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Does anyone know if any rental companies rent truck cranes? Myabe hertz rental or someone? Getting ready to do a huge white oak over my grand mothers house. I have used cranes many times, so that is not an issue. I could also get by with a bucket truck, but don't know who rents those either. Any suggestions? thanks

Not sure about a crane, but for sure a bucket, try national rentals or sunbelt, one of those national companies typically will rent them.

Penske has a wide range of aerial lift trucks for rent. I'm not sure if they are in your area though.

To rent a truck crane or bucket truck you are likely gonna need a CDL. If you don't have one and no one you know does, then the best choice is a crane company with an op and you climb off the crane and after secured in tree, boom pieces with the crane.

Really how much would you be saving beyond the wage of the operator over getting a tree outfit with the equipment and just have them put it on the ground in pieces for you to whack up.

Really how much would you be saving beyond the wage of the operator over getting a tree outfit with the equipment and just have them put it on the ground in pieces for you to whack up.

Since this is the prof climber thread....cannot imagine, even at the beginning of my career, 40 years ago, having another tree company do a lick of my work for me, and then I do the garbageman work? You can't be serious. Are you a tree company and would you do this? Might as well go back to stocking shelves in the hardware store. You would be a shell of a treeman at that point. :jester:

I rented a crane some years back, with a bucket attached. The tree was WAY too dead to climb, and I underestimated the reach of my bucket truck.

It worked real well (except for yelling and waving at the operator on the ground): Cut a branch and the TIP was always right beside me.

Good luck on the crane rental. That market dried up in KC, and you can only hire a truck with operator now.

RSC on Sweeten Creek Rd in Asheville (I-40 exit 51) has cranes for rent. You will have to have a CDL to drive it.

If it's only a one day gig, you're better off calling Asheville Crane in Candler. The operator of their 30-ton is very experienced in tree removal. He will get the load away from you and keep the property safe. His name is Joel. That crane's rate is $115/hr plus a 6% fuel surcharge. If you ask, they can work with you on the travel time.

Good luck,

TT

Penske has a wide range of aerial lift trucks for rent. I'm not sure if they are in your area though.
yes they do, I called my local dealer and the young guy had no clue what I was talking about when I asked to rent a bucket truck, I finally just gave up.

we have United Rentals and Hertz and I think they both have crane trucks.

Hey guys,
I have my class B so that is no deal. I don't know about some people, but I would never let another tree company come in and put it on the ground for me. Thats a slap in the face, especially since it's for my grand mother. I use crane companies all the time with operators(RCF, a local company), but I was just wondering about the rental of one. I can either rent one of those or just bucket truck the thing and take smaller pieces. For you guys who have personal cranes for tree work, what tonnage are they? There was one for sale awhile back, it was a 7ton but only a 42' reach. Thanks for the input.

Hey guys,
I have my class B so that is no deal. I don't know about some people, but I would never let another tree company come in and put it on the ground for me. Thats a slap in the face, especially since it's for my grand mother. I use crane companies all the time with operators(RCF, a local company), but I was just wondering about the rental of one. I can either rent one of those or just bucket truck the thing and take smaller pieces. For you guys who have personal cranes for tree work, what tonnage are they? There was one for sale awhile back, it was a 7ton but only a 42' reach. Thanks for the input.

7 ton by 42 foot really to small to do much but load wood. I had an 8 ton 47 and it was real handy getting in small spots to load logs. I sold it for the same price I was lucky to get a 12 ton 67 foot with a 25 foot jib. I have taken down some real big trees with this if a sub is not available for the biggies. I have had it for about 5 years and it is an RO mounted on an 86 GMC. Real good shape.

Another option I used to have (not sure if they do it anymore) was to rent a 14 ton 75 footer that had a basket on it and you could remove the basket and the remote wire and just use it as a crane or use it as a picker. Did that for about 10 years before buying my pickers and truck boom.

Thats what I was thinking about it being too small. Several on ebay that are pretty sweet. Treevet, do you use the crane on as many jobs as you can, just to make life easier?

Thats what I was thinking about it being too small. Several on ebay that are pretty sweet. Treevet, do you use the crane on as many jobs as you can, just to make life easier?

We use it all the time. You just need more room to spread riggers than a cherry picker. Lots of times roofers buy them and then go out of bus. I got this one from a group of Mexican subs that didn't own it and the boss sold it and he didn't have any idea of what it was worth as he just had them using it.

It is a huge money maker.
attachment.php

I would love to add a bucket to the fleet but a crane is a looooong way off. You guys don't know how good you got it. The used market over here is way more expensive.

Got a crane job Thursday and at $484 p/h for 130tonne and rigger you gotta move fast! Hope the pic's come out good enough to post.

Why so big a unit? You real far away or you got a giant tree? That US dollars? Hard to afford that and make a buck or two yourself.

Yes,yes,no and I agree.

:)

The tree is a Tuart Gum (E.Gomphocephala) that weighs in about 7 tonne, (I have done a few of these babies) and is 28 metres tall. The turntable to trunk radius is 33 metres and there are two smaller eucs coming out at 37 metres.

The price is what it is all about. I got this job because 18 months ago I removed two similar trees 2 yards over for new parents who were paranoid about branches dropping. In fairness Tuarts have earned that reputation. Then nine months ago they referred me to their neighbour who had five of these big beauties in an area 12 metres by 4 metres. He loved the trees but was paying out for his 3rd significant fall. That job is still my all time favourite (no photo's :cry:) and took 5 days. We weighed out over 15 tonnes and it all came out in a wheelbarrow. This current customer watched us every evening and at the end asked me to quote his own removal. I told him that his tree had been topped and lopped and that I would not risk climbing it. He took my quote at $8000 over a competitors quote of $4500 because the company owner would not climb the tree to rig for the crane but he would send up one of his guys. Turns out this HO hurt himself at work years ago and saw the sense in a quick safe removal with no danger to anyone.

This time I have camera, spare batteries and a dedicated picture taker (my daughter). Oh and its forecast 40degrees celcius for that day. Weeeeeeeee:dizzy:

Latest posts

Back