Do NOT Modify Your Saw!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
who has honest to god specs showing better performance out of a muffler mod or pulling limit caps.

To seriously answer your question, the answer is a resounding YES. It IS documented in numerous threads, with times, stats and details of the changes. The most memorable thread was about 5 years ago detailing the gains on a stock MS260. The muffler was opened up incrementally and re-tuned, then tested the gains were astonishing. Search for it.
CSW

Put down the pipe, back away slowly, don't take another hit, you obviously haven't ever used a non mm'd saw vs one properly opened up and retuned.
It does make a difference if re-tuned properly after the mod. Leaning it out has nothing to do with it. lol

hasn't timberwolf dynoed saws , that sure should show the gains

I don't mean to sound condescending, but CaptainNeil you are an ignorant idiot.

For starters you are quite wrong, so instead of wasting our time, use the search tool and learn something before you spout off at the keyboard.

Sam

A lean saw will NOT be faster than a properly tuned saw.. Takes fuel to make horsepower..Period.. Go stir the #### elsewhere.
Modifying a muffler and retuning after said alterations will without a doubt make 99% of all stock saws cut better.

thats what im saying, dont screw with your limit caps... period all it does it cost you money.

who has honest to god specs showing better performance out of a muffler mod or pulling limit caps.

attachment.php

are you for real???? why WOULDN'T you want to pull caps and PROPERLY tune a carb. you dont have to do too much research here/elsewhere to see what happens to new saws that aren't properly tuned. your new 362 SUPERSAW is a prime example of that.

Drilling holes in your muffler will not give your saw more power. It is still the same size enging running at the same rpm, doing muffler mods only change where you "powr band" is. I'm betting someone a hell of a lot smarter than me making a whole lot more money has set these saws, within limits, to run at there optimum preformance levels. I mean they did engineer them.

I guess putting long tube headers on a car in place of stock manifolds does nothing either.

What is a limiter cap? does anyone know what a limiter cap is?

A limiter cap does nothing to a saw. Taking it off does nothign to change your saws tuning. Its just a cap.

"just because it is louder doesnt mean it is faster"

Agreed, power is NOT measured by noise level. It is measured by timed cuts before and after the modifications.

I've modded a couple of my saws, and did timed cuts with several of them, with positive results.

I make very small mods, blending and smoothing things our along the way, etc. I do not and have not touched any of my older saws, as they are pre-emissions, already loud enough, and have PLENTY of power at every rpm.

From what I've seen, the newer saws respond well to opening them up just a bit.

Spefically, I have muffler modded by Echo CS-510, CS-520, both CS-370's, the little Ryobi and the Echo CS-360T.

I did timed cuts with the Echo CS-510 and one of the CS-370's. Then I went on to run them back to back against other saws with similiar size engines, all with positive results.

The CS-510 outran my Shindaiwa 488, and tied my closed port Husqvarna 55, which is a very fast cutting saw.

The CS-370 with a muffler mod outran a stock CS-400 by 7 seconds for 5 timed cuts in the same log with the same bar/chain set-up.

The CS-360T responded quite well to a muffler mod, but was not tested before or afterwards. It simply ran OK before opening it up, but pulled down easily under heavy load. After the muffler mod it pulls harder in the upper rpm range, and doesn't pull down or stall easily against the clutch like it did before modded. Certainly not a "scientific" test, but I ran it quite a while before modding it, so I can tell the difference......Cliff

oh yea, tell me why you #^$%ING MORON,

you tell me how putting a factory DP cover on my saw will rune it.

Only way that will rune it is to keep the caps on with that little epa tab.

almost 60 members holly hell this is goign to get good.

Last edited:
Some people are too dumb to know how truly stupid they really are. They people are typically only useful if view in such a manner as to provide an example of who or what not to be like or turn into. I feel CaptionPotatoHead here is a prime example of such a person.

So while everyone can serve as an example, CaptionPotatoHead is doing his best impression of what not to aspire to be like, an ignorant idiot.

Just here to help,

Sam

I think this guy works for the EPA. Must have been running his lawnmowers in an enclosed garage to long... :dizzy: Captain make sure you have proper ventilation before starting your lawnmower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back