Echo's Newest Saws!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like it

fellas,
what we need is someone living in europe, who loves saws, is trustworthy enough not to run off with the cash, and who will ship us one.

sawtroll? scotsclayshooter?

:)

Now your thinkin!!!!!!! I'd still like to try the 600 I have some hedge that needs cut and a few big oaks.

Steve: could you post a link for their KW output? I couldn’t find it.
Whether it’s kilowatts or horse power it will give people an idea when making a purchase. Thanks!

.02 hp more hp doesn’t sell a saw to me, even though Shindaiwa has supposedly over rated their hp on the 488 I still love the reliability and weight of that saw, I don’t care for the feel of the new version though but that’s just me, someone else may like the new one better .

If Echo has the stuff that I like in a saw, a couple of points in hp wouldn’t keep me from getting one. That is if Javelin becomes a dealer.

I typed Echo chainsaw uk in the search on Yahoo, a few sites that sell Echo saws came up with kw numbers X 1.34 gets you to hp. Sure is funny Shindaiwa hp numbers are over rated and Stihl's MS290 aren't. Steve

Yea I was going to do the conversion myself, just couldn’t find a link that would give me the KW’s to start with. What bothers me about not stating the hp/kw numbers is that there are some of us that are smart enough to figure simple things like this out ourselves and do take into fact the other variables involved in the power war. I like to know the power ratings too see if it will work for my purpose. If someone else isn’t smart enough to figure this out for them self, it’s not affecting me and I don’t worry about it. I buy what works for my needs not what someone else says is the best. What power the engine actually makes isn’t what makes the difference. It’s the power that hits the wood in this case, whether speed or low end grunt, torque can easily be converted into horse power as kilowatts. My 4 cylinder Camry probably has more hp than my Dodge CTD but wont come close to the 400 - 500 lb.ft. Of torque my pickup has when pulling. But a couple turns of a screw here and there the CTD has more toque and hp.
Still wont out run the Camry but I can pull the car just as good as when driving empty.
How much KW any engine will produce without the bar and chain would give viable results given a non biased company was doing the test with the same unit of measure.
I like Echo’s and most Japanese small engines for the simple fact that they are hard to kill and seem to last forever.

Yea I was going to do the conversion myself, just couldn’t find a link that would give me the KW’s to start with. What bothers me about not stating the hp/kw numbers is that there are some of us that are smart enough to figure simple things like this out ourselves and do take into fact the other variables involved in the power war. I like to know the power ratings too see if it will work for my purpose. If someone else isn’t smart enough to figure this out for them self, it’s not affecting me and I don’t worry about it. I buy what works for my needs not what someone else says is the best. What power the engine actually makes isn’t what makes the difference. It’s the power that hits the wood in this case, whether speed or low end grunt, torque can easily be converted into horse power as kilowatts. My 4 cylinder Camry probably has more hp than my Dodge CTD but wont come close to the 400 - 500 lb.ft. Of torque my pickup has when pulling. But a couple turns of a screw here and there the CTD has more toque and hp.
Still wont out run the Camry but I can pull the car just as good as when driving empty.
How much KW any engine will produce without the bar and chain would give viable results given a non biased company was doing the test with the same unit of measure.
I like Echo’s and most Japanese small engines for the simple fact that they are hard to kill and seem to last forever.

Over in the snowmobile industry magazines would test all of the 4 brands for hp on what was supposed to be stock sleds, seems like some ringers slipped in as one brand would always win the hp testing yet was almost aways the slowest on the snow. Any kind of numbers can and usually are bogus kind of like Stihl's MS260 and MS290 hp numbers. Steve

About the 1201 it looks like it's design in the early 70's and it looks like there's no kickback handle infront of the bar. I'm I wrong??:confused:

Edit: And why don't they list HP on each saw on the site

Because the true numbers would keep people from buying Echo saws - simple as that.........:rolleyes: :blob6: :blob6:

There are some hp numbers on an OZ site, but those are obviously false. :censored:

fellas,
what we need is someone living in europe, who loves saws, is trustworthy enough not to run off with the cash, and who will ship us one.

sawtroll? scotsclayshooter?

:)

No Echo saws here.....

..and our price level on both the saw and shipping would kill the project anyway, seen from the US.

Last edited:
How much KW any engine will produce without the bar and chain would give viable results given a non biased company was doing the test with the same unit of measure. ...

KWF and DLG do just that, but it is mostly Stihl, Husky, Jonsered and Dolmar that submit their saws to testing.

It is amazing how close to the factory specs the test results usually are - in most cases they are right on (in kW), and very rarely more than .1 kW off.

Because the true numbers would keep people from buying Echo saws - simple as that.........:rolleyes: :blob6: :blob6:

There are some hp numbers on an OZ site, but those are obviously false. :censored:

And Stihl MS290 aren't false, if they're true then my Echo CS510 has more than 3.8 hp. Steve

Last edited:

A friend of mine has a Echo 37ES and that rews high and seems pretty good as long as you're not cutting with it, the saw always stalls 2-3times during the cut.

I've got a Echo power pruner and it's not something I brag about because it's week, but I would like too know what kinda a HP it's suppose to have.

Sorry to rant I just get tired of some people telling me my saws suck.

Correct! me too

Horse power is not the best way to rate a 2 stroke engines power. When comparing the performance of two-stroke engines, going by horsepower is not really an accurate way to determine the performance capabilities of a unit. The reason for this, is that there are no industry standards set for rating the horsepower of a two-stroke engine. Due to the fact that there are no set standards, this allows too may variables to come into play allowing for possibly an incorrect or misleading horsepower rating. ECHO does not publish horse power ratings.

Incorrect, Horsepower is indeed the best way to decribe or document the ability of a power unit to acomplish work. HOWEVER when Mfgs use figures that are inflated by whatever means that is avaiable to them such as special test engines, stripping of all nessisary but power robbing devices like air cleaners, cooling, pumps, or test RPMS that would destroy the engine in seconds OR just plain lie about horse power, both the figures and the term become rather usless.
Let us not confuse problems with telling the truth, and problems with the equation. The equation (one horsepower is 33,000 lb.ft./minute) is correct.

Last edited:
Correct! me too

Incorrect, Horsepower is indeed the best way to decribe or document the ability of a power unit to acomplish work. HOWEVER when Mfgs use figures that are inflated by whatever means that is avaiable to them such as special test engines, stripping of all nessisary but power robbing devices like air cleaners, cooling, pumps, or test RPMS that would destroy the engine in seconds OR just plain lie about horse power, both the figures and the term become rather usless.
Let us not confuse problems with telling the truth, and problems with the equation. The equation (one horsepower is 33,000 lb.ft./minute) is correct.

+1 It would be nice to see some unbiased tests on STOCK saws after break in with the same bar and chain cutting wood or even on a dyno not on a bunch of ringers that happenes in the snowmobile industry. Steve

I might have a 600 and a 1201 comming!!!!!!:) My buddy is checking into shipping a 600 for me and is going to try to smuggle a 1201 with it! I will keep everyone posted!:) :)

http://www.allpower.com.au/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=242

Here is a link to an Australian Echo site showing HP numbers in Kilowatts. The Echo cs-8000 is rated 4.7kw x 1.34 = 6.3hp.

The Australian site doesnt show some of the other models that we have here in the US, but the 670 is rated 4.35kw or 5.8hp.

The other thing to consider is that the Japanese have been doing a good bit of research and development into two cycle engines for what the last 20 years? Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki and Yamaha come to mind.

Kawasaki makes the engines for the Husqvarna blowers or so Ive been told such when I needed parts.

Isnt it Shindaiwa that has the patent rights on the name and design known as Stratocharging?

Best wishes,
Bob

If a source is found for the 1201's I'm very interested.

Would look good next to my CS 900EVL.

Mr. HE:cool:

http://www.allpower.com.au/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=242

Here is a link to an Australian Echo site showing HP numbers in Kilowatts. The Echo cs-8000 is rated 4.7kw x 1.34 = 6.3hp.

The Australian site doesnt show some of the other models that we have here in the US, but the 670 is rated 4.35kw or 5.8hp.

Best wishes,
Bob

That is the false numbers I referred to earlier in this thread.

Problem is that they listed hp numbers as kW numbers, the true numbers are about 4.7 and 4.35hp, not kW.............:censored:

I don't think it is Echo themselves that do this, but someone who represent them in Australia.

Last edited:
And Stihl MS290 aren't false, if they're true then my Echo CS510 has more than 3.8 hp. Steve

Problem with the 290 etc isn't false hp numbers, it is just that the power-band isn't very effective compared to many other saws......

How much cutting is made at exactly peak hp rpm (or at peak torque rpms)?

...keeping the torque curve as flat as possible, specially at the top end, is the clue that they miss with those saws, I believe......

Last edited:
Why would anyone cutting professionally look past Stihl or Husqvarna?

I would like to look at the Echo 1201 out of interest as I have 2 090's

Back