Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pics

192684d1312221537-dsc00014-jpg

Nice Homelite.:cheers:

Thanks guys, been wanting a big homelite for a while now to go with my super xl and super xl 925. This thing is a hoss and i cant wait to get a chain for my 60" bar and try it out also.

homelite 10848

View attachment 192756View attachment 192757View attachment 192758

looking around in the forums and not finding any info on the homelite 10848

these any good? deciding weather to get that for $60 or a sachs dolmar 112 for $45.

i understand the sachs dolmar 112 is super reliable, but hard to track down parts, and i really dont know how the 10848 is.

let me add that im looking to buy my first chainsaw, and i need somthing just for yard work, nothing too overwelming. thanks

View attachment 192756View attachment 192757View attachment 192758

these any good? deciding weather to get that for $60 or a sachs dolmar 112 for $45.

i understand the sachs dolmar 112 is super reliable, but hard to track down parts, and i really dont know how the 10848 is.

let me add that im looking to buy my first chainsaw, and i need somthing just for yard work, nothing too overwelming. thanks

By all means get the Dolmar!

Better shot. Pics are from paccity, there are more in the F&L. Centenial tree thread

Nice pic Randy. Gotta go check out the F&L forum for more pics. From this pic, I'd say that saw is indeed an 8-29.:cheers:

Thanks you about made my new laptop flip over with the boner I got! :msp_rolleyes:

That'll happen just about whever the wind blows and you smell some perfume (or you see some serious Old Magnesium) at your age Jacob!:D

By all means get the Dolmar!

+1
Grab the Dolmar. That particular 'homelite' isn't worth messing with. Keep an eye out on craigslist for a Homelite (notice the caps) XL12/Super XL or E-Z/Super E-Z type saw. They're REAL Homelites, and will serve you well. Before you buy, remove the muffler cover and look through the exhaust port at the piston, cylinder, and rings (if the seller will let you). Look for scoring. If it looks bad, pass (unless you get it for almost nothing....as a parts saw). Bring a 5/16" nut drive and a good large flat blade screwdriver with you. That will get you into the Homelites. Not sure what the Dolmar will have for muffler screws. Probably metric hex-head cap screws.

Can do on the throttle lock assembly. The clutch has a spur sprocket on it, not much wear, .404x7, but I'll let it go if I can find a .375 for my "good" 5. Right now it has the same 404x7 spur, but worse shape. You're SOL on the gas cap, it had a good crack in it and grenaded when I tried to get it out. Tank may or may not leak, but it's been siliconed at the seams at some point, and now needs gas cap removal surgery. Carb and nuts and bolts are on hold pending getting the other saw going, but once it's running I'll be willing to part with some extras.

PM me an address and I'll put that throttle lock in the mail. Let me know what you think about the rest.

Jacob, your coil and cylinder will see the mailman tomorrow.

Got the envelope a couple of days ago. Thanks a bunch Steve! Already installed it on the C-5 in my avatar. Makes starting easier. Getting that 'E' clip on the throttle lock shaft while the trigger and trigger spring were in the rear handle was a bit of a challenge. Ended up magnetizing a screwdriver using a McCulloch 200 flywheel magnet so I could dangle that little bastard into the right place and push it home with another screwdriver. Did the same thing with a throttle lock from a parts XP series saw on Jeff's C5. Had the technique down by then. Had to lightly drill the holes in the handle castings to accept the throttle lock pins. They work great now.

Got the envelope a couple of days ago. Thanks a bunch Steve! Already installed it on the C-5 in my avatar. Makes starting easier. Getting that 'E' clip on the throttle lock shaft while the trigger and trigger spring were in the rear handle was a bit of a challenge. Ended up magnetizing a screwdriver using a McCulloch 200 flywheel magnet so I could dangle that little bastard into the right place and push it home with another screwdriver. Did the same thing with a throttle lock from a parts XP series saw on Jeff's C5. Had the technique down by then. Had to lightly drill the holes in the handle castings to accept the throttle lock pins. They work great now.

:clap::clap::clap:

Does this mean you are officially retracting your earlier thanks to me? :msp_sad:

Nahhh......

You also get thanks for being a Steve in WI who likes Old Homelites..................................even if you're not the Steve NW WI who sent me the Homelite C-5 throttle lock parts. You can see the source of my confusion. I looked at the return address on the envelope and posted. I'd have messed that one up without any brown liquor....:D

Last edited:

Good to hear Aaron, the pin was tight in the saw it came out of as well. I figured it was just rust/grime buildup. It came apart easy, but my throttle wasn't hooked to anything!

Nahhh......

You also get thanks for being a Steve in WI who likes Old Homelites..................................even if you're not the Steve NW WI who sent me the Homelite C-5 throttle lock parts. You can see the source of my confusion. I looked at the return address on the envelope and posted. I'd have messed that one up without any brown liquor....:D

I hereby propose that Wendy officially changes his real name to Wendell! :D

Good to hear Aaron, the pin was tight in the saw it came out of as well. I figured it was just rust/grime buildup. It came apart easy, but my throttle wasn't hooked to anything!

I hereby propose that Wendy officially changes his real name to Wendell! :D

Santa would concur. He gets a lot of Wendells junk mail, car warranty offers, AARP subscription requests, etc.

Homelite 150 Auto

Sorry If i'm doing this wrong, I'm new and mean no disrespect. Just let me know if i should do it different or post a new thred.

I just wanted to know if my Homelite 150 Auto would handle a 20" bar? It is my favorite out of my saws, others are 16". I don't have lots of cash to buy a bigger one and love this saw.

I've gained lots of knowledge from just reading these, and this is my first post, so thanks in advance for your patience! 8)

Sorry If i'm doing this wrong, I'm new and mean no disrespect. Just let me know if i should do it different or post a new thred.

I just wanted to know if my Homelite 150 Auto would handle a 20" bar? It is my favorite out of my saws, others are 16". I don't have lots of cash to buy a bigger one and love this saw.

I've gained lots of knowledge from just reading these, and this is my first post, so thanks in advance for your patience! 8)

Don't do it man! That's a 41-ish cc saw that'd be much happier with a 16" bar. Keep a close eye out on craigslist. Bet you'll find a Homelite XL12/Super XL-AO saw for cheap. They're always around. Often times, the seller is listing them for way too much money (like over $100) because they just don't know what an old saw is worth....and are shooting in the dark. Go check 'em out. Look at the piston/cylinder through the intake port (remove the muffler cover if the seller will let you). If things look good, then make a deal. Those saws do just fine with a 20" bar/chain.

Helped you out there.You looked neaked LOL Welcome to AS.Great place to learn most anything?

Thank you guys for the prompt response!! I kinda had a feeling that was the case, and thank you for the welcome.

Is there a displacement to bar size ratio type thing to keep in mind?

Latest posts

Back