Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up a homie SXL-925. Sadly it has a scored p&c. Got it and 4 other saws free of charge. I'm guessing theres no hope to get the saw running again?

Picked up a homie SXL-925. Sadly it has a scored p&c. Got it and 4 other saws free of charge. I'm guessing theres no hope to get the saw running again?

Unless the saw ingested something and gouged the cylinder you may be able to clean up the cylinder and find a useable piston for it. Worth fixing up as they are in demand if it's in good shape otherwise.
No hope for the oiler though LOL

Well what are the other saws ?

Montgomery Ward 34CC(Remmington Mighty Mite rebrand, it needs a recoil assembly), Craftsman 3.7(missing almost everything), Mac 610(I think everything is there but I need to check the piston, not sure how though), and a Craftsman Top handle 38CC I think, its the same as my poulan that Fossil has been helping me repair. I looked at it and almost thought about leaving it behind haha.

I'll pull the cylinder off the 925, I saw a piston on ebay for about 40 new with rings. I wont be getting to it for a while. I want to work on the Ward saw, its piston looks brand new. Would be a great limbing saw next to my EZ. How would I clean the cylinder up? Or take it to a shop? I really would love to get the 925 running and slap my 28" bar on it. I also got a couple bars and loops of chain. Some new. May be more saws and or parts at the location but I wont know til spring when I clean the shop out for the person.

There are a few good threads on cleaning the aluminum transfer for the piston on here and elsewhere. One way is muriatic acid. I works very well but you have to be very careful doing it as the fumes created are very noxious and any acid that finds it way onto the aluminum in the cylinder will start to dissolve it. The other involves the use of sand paper on a mandrill and a rotary tool as well as some Scotchbrite which would be safer and gives good results.
If the damage has gone through the chrome plating on the cylinder, it's done.

If the piston you are planning on buying is from the Lilred barn, plan on buying Caber rings instead of using the ones that come withthe piston. Reviews on these are scarce but a couple of buyers have said the rings were soft and NFG.

Unsure how deep the scoring is. It doesnt look bad from what I can see. But it doesnt look good either. I read they have overheating issues?

I am not sure if those AM piston kits are from the same manufacturer, but I've read that they might not exactly be plug and play. At least the ones from one of the dealers. One report indicated the counterweights on the crank would not clear the inside of the skirt. Some grinding required.

They can overheat. The ignitions take up a lot of surface area on the side of the cylinder. Couple that with a lot of saw cake in the fins and there is not the ideal air flow to cool the cylinder. It is really important to periodically clean off the fins and keep the sawdust from building up on the coil and bracket.

I've a piston on a 130 that looks nasty. Runs well regardless, now that I cleaned things up a bit and flipped the rings around.

Montgomery Ward 34CC(Remmington Mighty Mite rebrand, it needs a recoil assembly), Craftsman 3.7(missing almost everything), Mac 610(I think everything is there but I need to check the piston, not sure how though), and a Craftsman Top handle 38CC I think, its the same as my poulan that Fossil has been helping me repair. I looked at it and almost thought about leaving it behind haha.

I'll pull the cylinder off the 925, I saw a piston on ebay for about 40 new with rings. I wont be getting to it for a while. I want to work on the Ward saw, its piston looks brand new. Would be a great limbing saw next to my EZ. How would I clean the cylinder up? Or take it to a shop? I really would love to get the 925 running and slap my 28" bar on it. I also got a couple bars and loops of chain. Some new. May be more saws and or parts at the location but I wont know til spring when I clean the shop out for the person.
Mac 6-10 or Mac 610?

Does anyone know about Remmington Mighty Mite saws? I have a carb question.

The craftsman(Poulan Micro copy) fire right up with some fresh gas and carb tuning.

Let's not be 'dissing' the Mighty Mite!
361b33a4ac3acbf08ec42cb18e19fe85.jpg

Back