Huztl MS 440 Initial Impressions, and Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you know i built one of these a few years back and its still going--lol

the ms440 china project seems to be a pretty good saw--

i got crazy and did a china 372XP clone it seems to be prone to starter and carb issues --

naw i think i just bought a bunch of flea-bay parts-- been a couple years ago-- built it from a crankcase which i scored for like $20 and bought the rest of it piecemeal-- it is nearly 100% china except for the gas tank and the other plastics--

the thing that shocked me the most was those cheap coils and plugs actually worked well for it--

it might have a OEM flywheel-- can't recall--

the 440 came out great--but the 372 is sort of a problem child--the carbs have been fussy and the china starter seems flimsy, weak starter springs too--lol -- when the 372 runs it is great --but the 440 has been far more reliable and much like a stock saw mostly--

Since I fixed that crank case leak, I am hoping that it runs okay, I think the carb is the issue but will be testing it later today, I'll let you guys know. The new china carb is coming tomorrow and if it still doesn't work after that then itS OEM

thats probably the big issue with my 372XP clone , the china carb knock off are --at best a grab bag--

if i could get a good carb for the 372 that would fix most of its 'weirdness' -- seems like i did swap the 440s carb-- bit it is a china carb on there -- cost like $15 at the time --a good carb would solve its stater problems too as it would not take as many yanks on the rope-- lol

china is well known for inconstant quality

thats probably the big issue with my 372XP clone , the china carb knock off are --at best a grab bag--

if i could get a good carb for the 372 that would fix most of its 'weirdness' -- seems like i did swap the 440s carb-- bit it is a china carb on there -- cost like $15 at the time --a good carb would solve its stater problems too as it would not take as many yanks on the rope-- lol

china is well known for inconstant quality
That is the big thing with Chinese carbs, tolerances are all over the place, and with carbs everything needs to be right and precise, I can't image the quality being to great.

Last night I tucked tail and ran for the hills and doubted the existence of the second seal. Just out of common sense, I should have stuck to my guns.

They delivered my kit and guess what the case shows. Both seals.

What is different with yours eb

Attachments

• 1484767938403-1982676856.jpg
    1484767938403-1982676856.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 46
  • 1484767979697-2062102393.jpg
    1484767979697-2062102393.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 49
Here's the spring.

Attachments

• 1484768231597-991862449.jpg
    1484768231597-991862449.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
  • 14847683361191325292192.jpg
    14847683361191325292192.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 24
Congrates and happy building, my seals are the same as yours, but what I was talking about was on the clutch side there is a collar that slides over the crank shaft and seals against the seal on the side of the case, but..... nothing seals between the collar and the crank so I talked to a few people and I called the chainsaw guy up in Oregon and he said the same. Just a heavy grease or I used permeated moto seal and it worked great. Take your time and get everything lined up and ready to go, I used 230 in the oven and the case pulled togeather nice with the case bolts. Good luck!

OK are you saying one of the two seals I just showed you require the collar to hold and to maintain case pressure?

Yes on the clutch side, it's the number 11 on the ipl it's about 1 inch long, it seals on the seal on the clutch side but nothing seals it in the shaft, just add a little grease or some sort of gasket maker in there. I'll show some pictures in a bit when I get home.

I understood completely your words earlier. It's the new fact that a case seal requires additional help to ensure its integrity.

And other some indicators. I will clear it up.

I won't spend anymore time trying to figure it out now. I will when I get to that step.

i would not run it again. look at the ipl. well how does it seal..cant wait till i get mine so i can figure that out
View attachment 551749

Last night I tucked tail and ran for the hills and doubted the existence of the second seal. Just out of common sense, I should have stuck to my guns.

They delivered my kit and guess what the case shows. Both seals.

What is different with yours eb
Yesterday's comment indicated that there should be two seals, both on the PTO side, numbered 18 and 19.

There are two seals, but only one on each side of the saw, numbers 6 and 19.

Yes only 2 seals. One on each side, impossible to miss, they are red. Thanks brad for clearing that up, I think we are overthinking a overcomplicating and issue, it is just a small air leak that can be fixed with heavy grease or gasket maker.

Look at what finally arrived, I decided to go with forester because it was cheap, and i felt it fit the build being Chinese and all ;)

IMG_2808.JPG IMG_2810.JPG IMG_2811.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2809.JPG
    IMG_2809.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 23
You can put an o-ring under that collar behind the clutch also instead of the sealant or grease ,the early 044 saws came with o-rings .It should be machined out on the bearing side of the collar to hold an o-ring .
It's is I saw that, and after searching the web I did find a few threads about an o ring, there is a machined ridge on the back of the collar, the o ring is probably a viable option.

I built this one from a box of parts. Does that count? ;)

IMG_1013-L.jpg

Back