I need help deciding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i actually just measured the bar from the front of the saw (where the chain and bar housing cover is) to the tip of the bar and it reads almost 25"
is this the proper way to measure these? or how do you do it?
I'm taking it to the stihl dealer right now to have them look it over. Ill try to put up more pictures soon when its taken apart too

I did not have time to read all the posts here, but the right saw for you will depend on your size and the size of the wood you wish to cut. Of the saws listed, if you feel comfortable hefting the 272 & 441 I would choose one of them. They are pro level 70 cc saws that will do whatever you need to do. Beware, if you are a beginner, these are powerful saws.

I also like to recommend the pro saws, because they are lighter, stronger, and will last half of forever. I have had one for over 20 yrs.

We all have a our personal favorites, I would search for a 044/440, but you may be just as happy w/ a 272/372/441.

If those saws feel somewhat heavy to you, or most of the wood you will cut is smaller, consider a smaller saw. A big saw cutting small wood gets heavy at the end of the day. Conversely, a little saw bucking makes for a long day.

I think you did fine. A 25" bar is a bit much for that saw and it won't balance for ****, but it is a good bar and ultimately makes your deal even better. How many connector links between each cutter tooth? You may be able to get away with that setup in softwoods and running semi or full ship chain, just be mindful of your bar tip when cutting. Skip chains tend to be more "jumpy", but they will also allow a smaller cc powerhead to pull a longer bar due to having less cutters buried in the wood at one time.

A 16" bar/chain combo is perfect for that saw for balance, ergonomics, but it can pull up to 20" effectively with regular chain configuration. If you can afford a second bar/chain set now and cover your PPE w/o busting your budget I would. Your learning curve with a properly balanced saw will be much, much better, and safer. Save the longer bar for when needed and you've got some saw time under your belt. Sharpening time is another consideration, more teeth = more time, and you WILL dull chains more frequently during the "learning phaze". Take it slow, use proper body positioning, maintain good footing, know where your bar tip is at all times and take time to analyze the wood/your cuts before setting chain to wood. Good luck and be safe out there.

ok so I just got back from the Stihl dealer and guess what guys....I'm so happy!
He said the spark plug was loose and it wouldnt start at first, but then he tightened it down, blew out the air filter and it started right up on 1st pull! He said the piston tended to rattle around a little in these older 026 saws but he said he didnt really notice that on mine. Then i had him do a compresion test and it read 160. He said thats really good compression so im pretty happy!
I asked him how long the bar was and he said 24" but he also said its in nice condition with a nice chain thats never been sharpened. He mentioned the bar and chain alone are probably worth $100.
He thinks maybe someone got rid of it because they didnt think it worked anymore since the spark plug was unscrewed a little. So maybe i got really lucky on this saw.
I then bought some fuel and oil and new plug.
He said he has a PPE set on sale too for $99. Normally $160
it includes chaps, face helmet with eye and ear protection and carrying bag. is this a good deal?

well guys I bit the bullet and bought the used 026. I negotiated the price down from $250 to $180 though:)
So after tax i paid $190 and it looks like its in decent shape. I havent had it inspected yet but i dont think i got ripped off right?
I'm assuming even if i have to put some money into it it was a good deal.
Also they gave me a 14 day in store credit return if i dont like it. So i can return it for a different one basically.

Here are some pictures i just now tookView attachment 365330 View attachment 365332 View attachment 365330 View attachment 365332 View attachment 365333 View attachment 365334 View attachment 365335

Good luck with the saw, glad you got a pro model.

ok so I just got back from the Stihl dealer and guess what guys....I'm so happy!
He said the spark plug was loose and it wouldnt start at first, but then he tightened it down, blew out the air filter and it started right up on 1st pull! He said the piston tended to rattle around a little in these older 026 saws but he said he didnt really notice that on mine. Then i had him do a compresion test and it read 160. He said thats really good compression so im pretty happy!
I asked him how long the bar was and he said 24" but he also said its in nice condition with a nice chain thats never been sharpened. He mentioned the bar and chain alone are probably worth $100.
He thinks maybe someone got rid of it because they didnt think it worked anymore since the spark plug was unscrewed a little. So maybe i got really lucky on this saw.
it includes chaps, face helmet with eye and ear protection and carrying bag. is this a good deal?

Sounds good, and always remember to wear eye glasses/protection under that face screen in addition to good boots and gloves. But always remember, none of these things will protect you from being careless, a chainsaw is one of the most dangerous tools you can run. Always respect i, and learn how to use it safely.

adkranger here is a picture of the chain

Attachments

• chainsaw1 002.jpg
    chainsaw1 002.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 24
blsnelling i would definitly consider selling the bar and chain or trading it. He said he has an aftermarket 20" bar for $40. is this something i want or should i go shorter?

Sounds like you knocked it out of the park brother! Good running 026 and a bonus on the bar/chain combo. The PPE combo sounds like a good package without knowing specific models (typically saw hat/chap combo is going to run over a Franklin). Make sure the chaps are at least the newest construction and have the CE rating.

If i sell the bar and chain or just bar, how much do you guys think its worth? would i get $100 for it or should i just do a trade for a smaller bar?
I would have bought that 359 on here but I'm impatient and didnt want to spend that much in a way

If it's pumping 160psi you did great.

$99 for a ppe kit sounds like a deal to me, but everything seems cheap in the states to me!
Check out baileysonline.com to at least get an idea on prices. You'll be looking at chains, bars, etc soon enough.

The 24" bar is almost a joke on a 50cc saw, personally I like 16" on a 50cc but Aussie hardwood is ridiculous - I just giggle when I cut some oak/elm/willow. You may get away with 18" or 20".

Now it's time for sharpening gear - the stihl kit (or similar) is a cheap place to start. File, guide, raker file and depth gauge in one kit. Learn how to use it and sharpen often, like a couple of strokes each tank. If after a few sharpenings the angles and lengths of your cutters begins to vary then get the saw shop to grind it.
Learn about the different chain types - 325, 3/8, 050, 063, full chisel, skip tooth, semi chisel are terms you need in your vocabulary.

Learn how to tune by ear -bsnelling has a great guide in his signature.

Have fun, and stay away from the sharp spinny bit.

adkranger,
Im sure the chaps are of newest quality. he said with the saw running at full speed there chaps would stop it instantly without hardly going through first layer. Not sure the brand but I'm tempted to buy it since its on sale.
I would rather spend another bill then get seriously injured.

If i sell the bar and chain or just bar, how much do you guys think its worth? would i get $100 for it or should i just do a trade for a smaller bar?
I would have bought that 359 on here but I'm impatient and didnt want to spend that much in a way
You wont get $100 for the bar and chain, just take it in a see how the dealer would trade on a 16 or 18" set-up.

Back