Kart Saw / Hot Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Having attended the function at Baraboo, WI a few times I was of course interested in building a Hot Saw for the vintage competition there. A few of the guys that post here on AS have some nice examples, and there is always a few that show up in Baraboo that do not post here as well.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Take the time to click on the photo of Scott's saw below, not sure why it won't pop up like the rest but it is very nicely done.

Mark

So, digging around I came up with a few bit and thought I would see if I could somehow put the kart engine into a saw chassis. I recently sent a 1-70 engine out so I had the carcass from that one, but just could not convince myself to cut apart that nice tank to clear the intake and carburetor on the kart engine. My first attempt was to carve up the air box from a D-36 saw I'd worked on a while back. I thought I might just cut it out to clear than figure out how to attach it to the top of the saw.

attachment.php

attachment.php

After that, I realized that if I was a bit more creative I could reuse the mounts in the air box to attach the rear handle to the saw. With an attic full of bit and pieces I had the luxury of just grabbing another and having a go at it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I was pretty happy with the results using only my band saw, drill press, and a little touch up work with the die grinder.

Mark

The crank stuffer/bottom from the kart engine was pretty corroded so I first thought I would use the fuel tank/crank case bottom off of a front tank saw like several others I had seen.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

There was a lot of interference between the crank shaft and the stuffer so I elected to use the oil tank off the 1-70 for the bottom of the crank case. I still had to do a little filing and grinding on the stuffer to get clearance for the crank shaft but this solved my problem of how to oil...it will be strictly manual for now as I am saving the one spare automatic oiler tank I have for a 797 project I have waiting on the shelf.

attachment.php

I wasn't sure how thin the wall of the stuffer were after my working it over, so I decided to fill the back side with JB Weld just to make sure it didn't break through under pressure. I figured I don't need that much volume in the oil tank for a 1o second run anyway.

attachment.php

Mark

I decided to try and hang all the pieces together just to see how it would all fit up. I have a roller nose bar for the real thing, but this would do for the trial assembly. I had to come up with a way to tie off the top of the front handle, fortunately the spike bar mounts on the 1-70 oiler tank lined up pretty well with where I was going. Just ignore the SP81 in the background, another nice runner but that's another story...

attachment.php

attachment.php

I had to drill the block for the oiler rod to pass through, but I think the manual oiler should function as expected.

attachment.php

I think I have the throttle linkage fairly well sorted out as well, we will see if the rod is stiff enough to work the return spring on the BDC.

attachment.php

I still have to find a suitable small fuel tank to mount somewhere, should be able to find a spot.

attachment.php

Mark

The Kart intake provides a little better breathing, but obviously won't fit "under the hood".

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Just to put things in perspective, the BDC is on the left, the standard McCulloch/Walbro flat back on the right.

attachment.php

And just in case the BDC will not cooperate, I have a Tillotson HR available as well.

attachment.php

Mark

I still need to find someone willing and able to help me come up with a pipe for this saw, otherwise I will be forced to use the only kart header I have on hand.

attachment.php

I left the block and NOS oversize piston with my son to drop off at the machine shop while I am gone. Hopefully when I get home again next week I can continue getting the bit cleaned up and painted before assembly.

Mark

Nice work. Can't wait to see a video of that bad boy running.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

well i thought i was only one building a kart saw, i'm bulding a 250/mc91B

mine had a genius fix the intake after it was knocked off it has three 1/4" bolts and one 7/16"
all of them are holding on by one thread..

Back