Kart Saw / Hot Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It took the entire afternoon, but I did eventually get the Mac 40 together and the saw parts assembled around it. Finished the first time around 5:00 PM but during the test fire it LOCKED UP! Now what??? started tearing it all apart; removed the intake - everything looked O.K. and the rod had just a little movement side to side - pulled the oil tank / bottom cover off, everything looked normal there, finally pulled flywheel and found the key had jumped out while installing the flywheel and got jammed in behind, a few scrapes but nothing to stop it from running.

Got it all back together in under 1 hour, a little prime and it was running. I had to make my own head gasket today, that was rather time consuming, also had to modify the air box a little to accommodate the other intake with the HR22 carburetor. I am a bit confused about the intake as it cover the third port, but the intake that was on the Mac 40 was the same way so I guess they must run O.K. that way.

I have to run out to a neighbors place tomorrow afternoon to finish up a few odds & ends from a pine tree earlier in the week, I think I will take it out and make a cut with it just to be sure it will pull a chain in the wood, I decided against the 11 pin for now, I expect the 101 could have pulled it well enough but we are now down to 6 In³ / 99 cc so I will stick with 8 unless Bill G has a 9 or even a 10 in his bag of tricks next Saturday.

It doesn't have the arm breaking compression of the 101, but it runs and that's about all I ask for at this point. I should be the loudest saw in the running next week in any case.

Mark

Sorry, forgot to add the photos...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

Sorry, forgot to add the photos...

attachment.php

Mark

Well done Mark, perseverance and the will to get it done. I hope you enjoy the day coming up, never know all the hot saws may cut slower times that that saw. (probably wishful thinking but anything is possible)

That was some quick work! Glad you have something to show for it. My 6 cube 92 was getting scared after seeing the pics of your 101, now it is a fair race, but Les and Z4lunch still have the big inch engines.
Scott

This one is pretty tired Scott, no compression release and not too bad to start.

I did manage to cut a couple of cookies this afternoon, it may not be fast but it does have a nice bark. If one of the guys at work can help me download a video tomorrow you may get to see it in action.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Mark

:clap::clap::clap: Nice save and still very impressive. When I saw the pictures of that cylinder the other day I got a lump in my throat. I literally thought I was going to throw up. I even think my eyes watered up a little---I know, they are just saws right. If I ever come across one of those motors, which is very unlikely, I am sending it to you.

Scott - If you were outside when I ran the 101 with that header, you probably could here it from there. The 40, not quite so loud...

When the 101 did run last Thursday (for a minute or so) my wife informed me she could not hear the television in the house (house was closed, air conditioning was on, house is separate from the garage...) and that I could never run that one in town again. Well, I solved part of the problem.

Mark

Scott - If you were outside when I ran the 101 with that header, you probably could here it from there. The 40, not quite so loud...

When the 101 did run last Thursday (for a minute or so) my wife informed me she could not hear the television in the house (house was closed, air conditioning was on, house is separate from the garage...) and that I could never run that one in town again. Well, I solved part of the problem.

Mark

Good to see your doing as your told Mark

Mark

Absolutely! "It's so loud, it's overloading my camera... it shut down."

[video=youtube_share;2HQwqjzXXzU]http://youtu.be/2HQwqjzXXzU[/video]

Can't wait for you to get it rebuilt and rippin'. These are so special.

Latest posts

Back