Looking for a new saw-Again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackstone

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Thanks, in advance, for any and all suggestions.
I am the not very proud owner of a Huskie 435 X Torq.

When it ran, it was a nice saw for me.

Less than 10 hours and out of warranty with low compression

Took it to the shop yesterday and (without a real diagnosis) it was suggested that the repair would be worth more than the saw. This was at Ace Hardware where I bought the saw.

I'm a homeowner who will cut several cords of firewood a year and not terribly mechanically clever so I'd like to buy from a dealer that will actually service what they sell but that may be asking too much.

After hearing the news I went shopping for what's available near me.

Stihl was a little more than I wanted to spend and have not had good experience with the dealer.

I would consider an Echo but the dealer vanishes from time to time and can't be reached.

That leaves the box stores.
Tractor Supply has Jonsered but I can't tell much about them and there's the service issue.

Wandered into Home Depot and they had Homelites really cheap.
Reviews are pretty bad but giving it some consideration since it has a 2 year warranty and, if nothing else, it could be a throwaway.

Lowes has Huskies.

I'm rural and would have thought I could find more options.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

I'm retired so I do need to look at cost, somewhat.

Thank you

The tractor supply jonsereds are the same as the huskies at lowes.
The home depot homelites are made in china
I would go back to home depot and look at the echos.since you don't have a dealer your going to have to learn to tune the carb yourself.more than likely that was your trouble with the 435.

I recently bought an Echo and it's a nice saw. If any of my Stihl stuff wears out I will probably replace with Echo, however I have a dependable Echo/Dolmar dealer service shop local.:D What do you mean that your Echo dealer vanishes from time to time?

Thanks for the fast response.
He doesn't answer his phone or have voicemail for weeks at a time.

He's a really good mechanic when he can be found

Thank you.
I am a little reluctant to go down the Huskie path again especially for a more expensive saw

I did like the performance of my 435 in the short period it ran

When you suggest 40:1, is that the recommended ratio for that model?
The 435 calls for 50:1

As far as non-ethanol gas, there is none within 30 miles of me except for the quart cans I saw at TS

Maybe if you bought an Echo from the dealer he may be more willing to service the saw. But if the new saw is tuned right and you run a good fresh fuel mix in it, and perform routine owner maintenance as per your owners booklet, then it will cut a lot of wood without needing shop service. Also what jughead500 said. Learn to tune a saw.
Also a lot of mechanically clever information on this site for you. I was schooled a long time ago that when you buy any piece of equipment , make sure to get the owners, parts and service publications for said equipment. You might surprise yourself on what you can do if you have time to fool around with your saws.
Oh, and it goes without saying but keep a sharp chain on your saw.
Carl

Thank you.
I am a little reluctant to go down the Huskie path again especially for a more expensive saw

As far as non-ethanol gas, there is none within 30 miles of me except for the quart cans I saw at TS

Keep your fuel fresh and stabilized. Use the can fuel mix or drive the 30 miles for E free gas. It will save you in the long run.

Thank you.

50:1 is the standard for new saws. I like to run a little more oil than that.

Your 435 was a good little homeowner saw and probably died from E-gas & or lean tune. It would pay to hunt for a source of E-free gas. I drive 20 miles one way and buy 15 gallons at a time.

For the amount of wood you cut a 50cc saw would be a better rig. The 545 is not in the same class as the 435, as it has a metal case instead of plastic & auto tune. It would help to studied up on the different models and what makes them different.

If I could find the Echo dealer, you're probably right.
This is the second day calling with no answer (3 times so far this morning)

I'm not quite as inept as I gave the impression although I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to rebuild an engine.

I have a lot of old equipment I keep running as long as it's not too complicated
But, those are good suggestions in learning a bit more.\

I may start on this Huskie once I get a diagnosis and an estimate.
I figure it's already broke so I can't hurt it

I agree this is a great site for info and help.
That old equipment includes a 1949 Farmall Cub of my dad's that hadn't run in 20 years
An old style Stihl FS80 trimmer from around 1982
And an old Homelite Super EZ from the '70s

It should behoove you to figure out why your first saw died so you do not repeat the same mistake. I have to believe that if the saw lasted 10 hrs of run time then there was nothing wrong with the tune and that it likely died because of a fuel/oil issue or pushing the saw past it's limitations.

A Dolmar 5101 would be high on my list, if Husky was out of the picture. Worth a look.
By the sounds of it local dealer support is as much of a decision as brand. However, doesn't sound like there is any.

I hadn't used the saw in about a year and wanted to start cutting some wood.

It was a little hard starting and ran good when started.
I cut one 12" poplar and cut it up.

The next day, it would not start no matter how much I pulled.
Pulled the plug, it was a little wet but clean.
Dried it and pulled a few times without a plug to clear any excess gas.
Nothing. Not even a burp.
Next day, got a new plug, just in case, still nothing.

My neighbor checked it and thought it pulled too easy.
When I took it back to Ace, compression was 100.

I am confident that the mixture was proper.

And, this saw has less than 10 hours on it

Not a lot of local dealer support.

I would have to see if there are any Dolmar dealers around.
Had never heard of the brand

Sounds like stale gas to me. That's a good way to kill a saw. Do you mix your own gas or use the canned gas like at lowes? If you mix your own gas what octane do you use and what brand of mix oil?

I mix my own because I use the mix in several pieces.
I think I had some Valvoline outboard motor oil that I used and it was 87 octane ethanol

I know that I shouldn't do it but I do use overwinter gas.
I've never had a problem previously

If I could find the Echo dealer, you're probably right.
This is the second day calling with no answer (3 times so far this morning)

I'm not quite as inept as I gave the impression although I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to rebuild an engine.

I have a lot of old equipment I keep running as long as it's not too complicated
But, those are good suggestions in learning a bit more.\

I may start on this Huskie once I get a diagnosis and an estimate.
I figure it's already broke so I can't hurt it

I agree this is a great site for info and help.
That old equipment includes a 1949 Farmall Cub of my dad's that hadn't run in 20 years
An old style Stihl FS80 trimmer from around 1982
And an old Homelite Super EZ from the '70s
If you are willing to try we can show you how. Sounds like you might just need a piston and rig and to clean up the cylinder. From your description I'd bet the piston is scored and has some transfer, nothing too serious. It's probably unlikely that you have a bad crank seal that would cause an air leak and lean condition. I suppose you could have a torn intake boot or something that too.

Latest posts

Back