Looking for a new saw-Again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Purge it 5-6 times, move the choke all the way up, pull 3-4 times until it pops (if you miss the pop and keep pulling it floods and will never start) once it pops click down to fast idle, pull 2-3 times and it should fire, let it run on high idle for a few seconds (with the chain brake off) and then bump the throttle and it'll kick down and idle normal.

The important part is catching the first pop.

Thanks but there was no first pop.

By "purge", do you mean to take out the plug and pull 5-6 times?

I'll give it another try a little later when it cools and then return it tomorrow and buy my firewood

Well, just had an unusual turn of events.
I went to put the Jonsered in the truck to return it and thought "what the heck, try it one more time"

It started right up with minimum effort.
That befuddles me.

Which was the real experience?

The one that won't start or today's?

It's cooler this morning than yesterday when we tried is the only difference I can see

If I can get it started, I want to run it.

When I get back from town, I'll see if it feels like running

Really just get to know your saw. A lot of 2 stroke engines have their little quirks with what they want to start up easily.

Thanks for the encouragement, osteoart.

I'll try to get it running for some work this evening when it cools down a little

Thanks for the encouragement, osteoart.

I'll try to get it running for some work this evening when it cools down a little
I'm pretty certain it's flooding. Maybe get into a routine like : purge bubble 4 times, 3 pulls on full choke, switch choke 5o high idle position and pull til running. If it's still flooding, try only 2 pulls on full choke. By getting into this routine (or a similar routine that works better), you'll have it figured out in no time.

I thought that, too, yesterday.
But the plug was dry.

When I go out later, I'll try your suggestion

Thank you

Now that it seems I should learn a little more about how to work on these things, where would you suggest I start, please?

I did order a book on 2 cycle engines from Amazon as well as the special screwdrivers.
Here is the book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0071625399?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Also, if I need parts, I'd like to try to order from dealers here as suggested way up there.

Should I just do a search or are there preferred vendors ?

Thanks, again, for your continued patience, indulgence and generosity

I would try to buy or beg the publications for your specific saw. Try to get the Illustrated Parts List (IPL) and the real service manual for your saw model. See what Jonsered will do for you . Someone on this forum may share a pdf with you. Go to forums/chainsaw/stickies/beg for manuals, go to last page and ask for pubs for your saw. You may not need parts for a while but if you want parts you could contact one of the chainsaw seller/sponsers or post what you want in the trading post /chainsaws/parts wanted to buy. I hope that I have told you correctly, I am just a newb on this forum. If I have given you bad info then I hope a wiser member will straighten it out.

Thanks, osteoart.

My neighbor has the Husky right now to see if he can figure out what's wrong
But I need to learn more for myself instead of relying on others.

i'm sorry but when you say "my neighbor has the husky right now" I cringe. nobody but me touches my saws. also, as long as he has it, you don't. you can't get to know your saw unless you have it.
also, its under warranty. make the factory figure it out before you (or your neighbor) does something to give them a chance to deny a claim.
just sayin

It's not under warranty, but thanks for your concern.

I have a lot more faith in him than I do me, at this point.
He has gotten stuff running of mine that I gave up on and couldn't find help anywhere

50:1 is the standard for new saws. I like to run a little more oil than that.

Your 435 was a good little homeowner saw and probably died from E-gas & or lean tune. It would pay to hunt for a source of E-free gas. I drive 20 miles one way and buy 15 gallons at a time.

For the amount of wood you cut a 50cc saw would be a better rig. The 545 is not in the same class as the 435, as it has a metal case instead of plastic & auto tune. It would help to studied up on the different models and what makes them different.
doubles as a hand warmer on cold days to that 545.

Neighbor got the Huskie running.
Stuck ring or something.
Yay!
Got one running.
Brand new one is down now.

On Monday, when the new Jonsered wouldn't start, I told my 24 year old son to check the plug.
He had the chain cover off.
I thought I had it back on properly and when it started today figured I'd cut some trees.
About 30 seconds into my first cut, the chain flew, the bar fell off and the cover was on the ground.
The nut was lost so I ran in and got some.
I spent an hour and a half trying to get the chain and cover back on and tensioned properly.
I failed and took it to my neighbor.

Maybe some people shouldn't have these things.

I could get it close to proper adjustment but thought it was still a little too loose.
When I turned it 1/8th turn more, the chain wouldn't turn by hand

Yes, I'm sure I'm an idiot

ah so. I was thinking jons rather than husky even though you clearly said husky.
you just need to understand how the sprocket/chain/cover/adjustment work.
take a little time and think about it.
given that its a new chain one thing you have to be certain of is to make sure the adjuster tit is matched up to the adjuster hole in the bar. otherwise you end up with a kinked cover that's not in intimate contact with the bar. if that's the case you are in real danger of breaking the cover cause you're tightening it and bending the cover.
sounds like the bar nuts weren't tight (see above bit of advise) and vibrated off; more support of my conjecture.
you can do it, just understand how it works.

You have, perhaps, more faith in me than I deserve.
:(

I could have sworn I tightened the nut when I caught my kid in there.
But, anything is possible.

Putting a chain on shouldn't have been this hard.

Pretty sure I had the adjuster in the hole because it was tightening.
That last 1/8th or 1/16th that seemed to bind the chain and it wouldn't turn by hand

Back