Looking for a new saw-Again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mix my own because I use the mix in several pieces.
I think I had some Valvoline outboard motor oil that I used and it was 87 octane ethanol

I know that I shouldn't do it but I do use overwinter gas.
I've never had a problem previously
Outboard 2 cycle oil is a no no for small air cooled 2 cycle equipment. Combine that with some ethanol and year old gas and this sort of thing happens. That's just speculation but the first thing anyone reading this would point to as the most likely cause. Until you do a pressure/vac test to check the crank seals and look at the intake boot for rip/tears most everyone would agree with the above.

I mix my own because I use the mix in several pieces.
I think I had some Valvoline outboard motor oil that I used and it was 87 octane ethanol

I know that I shouldn't do it but I do use overwinter gas.
I've never had a problem previously
Overwinter gas with ethanol will cause problems! Outboard oil is also no good for air cooled engines like a chainsaw. I'd bet money these two are the cause of the dead saw.

A couple things. I am a fan of running more oil. However, many (if not all) of today's epa saws have the h jet maxed out to the limiter. If you use 40:1 or 32:1, and the h screw was already lean at 50:1, the saw will burn up. Simple. 32:1 mix is thicker than 50:1, therefore not as much gas flows through the jet. Oil lubricates. Fuel cools the piston. If you don't defeat the limiter caps, don't run more oil.

Also, I'm in Michigan. Tractor supply here stocks several saws up to a 2172, a highly regarded pro saw. The biggest husky I've seen in Lowe's was a 455 rancher. So while they may not carry as complete a lineup as an actual jred dealer, it's a way better selection than just a few home owner saws. I'm guessing it's a territorial thing. You'd have to check out your local tsc to know what they had in stock.

As for the OP, I agree with others. Your saw was meant for occasional firewood. I'd get into a 50 to 60cc saw. For one, they're built a bit better. And 2, if you're doing a 35cc job with a 50cc saw, it only stands to reason (to me at least) it'll last longer and be more trouble free along the way

Thank you for that offer, Marshy.
I may be taking you up on that once the verdict is in on my saw at Ace.

BTW, I did get hold of the local dealer.
I was mistaken about him carrying Echo.
He carries Tanaka but he's going to stop.
He'll still service them and others but won't be able to do warranty work

Agree with the others on stepping up in saws a little. I have a Husky 450 and a Dolmar 5100s. While the Dolmar is a far more fun saw to run, that Husky has cut a good amount of wood and been very reliable. I would say it has cut a minimum of 40cords. Before I joined this site, it ran on Amsoil 100:1, I know I put at least 4quarts through that saw before switching to a 40:1 mix. I checked the compression on it a couple tanks ago and it was just over 160psi "cold".

PS: I had a Husky 445 before the 450. It was bought a TSC and it would not oil the bar from day one. I brought it back to them and they shipped it out to their service center. 2 weeks later I get it back, and it still did not oil the bar. I brought it back again and waited another 2weeks, and when I show up to get it, they said Husky asked them to ship it back to them as the oil pump had a sheered gear, and to give me the next model up at no extra charge. They handed me the new 450 off the shelf and I went on my way.

You mentioned overwinter gas. If you don't use that mix for long periods of time you need to really shake it up before use. Ethanol will cause oil and gas to separate if left over a period of time.

I'm still running the canned gas in my Jonsered 2252 (same saw as a 545). $5 of TrueFuel in this saw will easily cut a truckload of wood. It just sips the fuel. Plus with the AutoTune you don't have to worry about lean seized motors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know about ethanol after 30+ years in the oil industry.

My hatred of it began in the mid '80s when I worked for an Ohio distributor.
I saw a lot of real junk being pushed there.

I do shake all gas before putting in whether fresh or older to be sure the oil stays mixed

I'm really learning a lot here and appreciate it

Maybe I need to look a little harder at the Jonsered if I can find how they deal with service.

Since my no ethanol gas is a bit of a trek, maybe I should look at the cans of gas since they use so little

Depending on what I learn about my Husky, I may step it up to a bigger saw.

You mentioned overwinter gas. If you don't use that mix for long periods of time you need to really shake it up before use. Ethanol will cause oil and gas to separate if left over a period of time.

I'm still running the canned gas in my Jonsered 2252 (same saw as a 545). $5 of TrueFuel in this saw will easily cut a truckload of wood. It just sips the fuel. Plus with the AutoTune you don't have to worry about lean seized motors.

I have to disagree with the shaking up part. Once Egas goes through phase separation, turns sour, whatever, no amount of shaking or adding new fuel to it will help. It will still murder whatever you put it in.

It was always a big deal when one of our trucks found phase separation at a station.
the ethanol is injected.
I don't know how they keep it suspended and blended

You can do a search for the saw in this forum. Some are saying look at the Echo cs590 before buying the CS 2255. I am going to my local dealer to look at the cs590 this week end. If as you say you don't have a Echo dealer, the cs590 is also sold at HomeDepot. Echo comes with a 5 year warranty but really what does any of this warranty talk amount to if you do not have someone that does warranty work? Maybe TSC or HD would send the saw somewhere if it had a problem? I would skip the extended warranty . Most any problem covered by warranty will most likely show up early in the life of the saw.
Any saw you choose just keep good fuel in it and don't run it lean. A lot of good saws out there. Let us know what you end up with and how you like it!

Thanks, osteoart.

I think I'm pretty much settled on this Jonsered.
They do send the saws out.

Ace didn't check out my Husky yet.
Figure I can sell it to recoup some of my cost and/or use it as a learning tool
I did see Echos last night when I was in HD.
don't remember what models.

My TS is only 8 miles away and Home Depot is 30.

Thanks sunfish need to see what they have there

It doesn't look like they carry the 2252 or 2258

+1 on using non ethanol gas and a good quality synthetic oil for the mix. If you run the same fuel mix and factory lean setting, you stand a good chance of burning up any saw regardless of type, size, or brand. Then learn how to tune it as the 435 may not have been a great saw but poor fuel mix quality and a factory lean tune likely causes it's way too early demise, not saw brand or quality of build.

Also know when and how to sharpen a chain. DULL KILL SAWS. The saw will run at fill or near full rpm without a load and is like mashing the gas pedal on your car to the floor in neutral and leaving it there. Of course you can wxpect engine damage.

Latest posts

Back