My little unit gets a lot more action then a big one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me it's been an Echo CS-346. Nice light saw I routinely use in bigger wood than I really should because it's what's in hand. I'm going to try out a Stihl MS 250 and see what I think of it. Bigger stuff gets the 036Pro (or sometimes one of the Jonsered 49SP's).

I cut mostly with my Jonsered 2051 because it gets it done and is fun to watch all the Stihlheads in my family look down there nose as it's blowing chips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cut mostly with my Jonsered 2051 because it gets it done and is fun to watch all the Stihlheads in my family look down there nose as it's blowing chips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What a great saw the 2051 is. It was my first own saw my dad gave me as a young man. I just sold her. Kinda wish I would have kept it but....
20151028_164806.jpg

Under 50 cc I like the 025's very well. When using that small of a saw most generally I don't need more power or speed, can comfortably run an 025 for most of what it has got and barely feel any fatigue. Just as soon jump up to 60 or 70 cc with an 20 to 24" bar unless I am cutting baby trees or branches usually, exception being primarily felling on slopes with poor footing and limited escape manuavers to keep me and the saw from getting smashed. The 025 with an 16" bar is powerful enough felling trees diameter up to the length of the bar on the dominantly softwood ditch banks, light enough I can throw it a ways out of the way when I need my hands to crawl to get out of the way myself, and I am not risking damaging or destroying a high dollar saw I can't afford to replace.
Cutting firewood for more then 1/2 hour I want something I can stand up straight with sawing and go home not hunched over with a sore back. Bucking firewood on the ground with a 18" or less bar for long periods hurts my back thinking about it, especially with a dull or even 1/2 dull chain. Cutting 16"+ D. logs into 16" length, under 60cc can stay in the truck. I want to keep my back straight and body moving as much as possible.

064 038 mag are 36 " and 25 " for the larger logs but I have a nice lil ms310 mm,d and retuned goes like a cat shitin razor blades and its light and a pleasure to use gets alodda work :O)

my
Does anyone dare to post a pic of a saw with the paint worn off the bar? All this talk about cutting and all the pics look like the saws have avoided that activity for the most part...
Tanaka hasn't lost any paint but it has so much crud on it it's almost unrecognizable. Treated pole barn posts make a lot of sticky dust. Will post pics in the morning

Much of the time I'm using a 50cc saw for most of my cutting . I've got a oe346 I just have to install a fuel hose on , it should be a fun saw .

image.jpeg This little saw see a lot of work,I'll use it to cut most of my firewood
Until I just have to get the bigger saws out

I have 2 024s that are my go to saws. No paint on the bars, one has a chipped clutch cover, the other has a rear lower handle that's been patched with a metal plate. I take them and my 440 when I go cutting, the 440 gets little use.

My main small saw is the Hitachi CS40EK = Tanaka ECV3801. Old school technology but a real littel beast.

But I also like my Dolmar 420 a lot! About the best homeowner saw out there! I have it at my MIL place as my go to saw there.

But I also like my Dolmar 420 a lot! About the best homeowner saw out there! I have it at my MIL place as my go to saw there.

I don't think I want to play with one of those little Dolmar 420/421 I fear I would cave in to an impulse buy really fast. Dolmar has really impressed my with their quality, price, and just being great runners.
Oh and for my favorite heater/ fanboy
How light and great handling they are.

I don't think I want to play with one of those little Dolmar 420/421 I fear I would cave in to an impulse buy really fast. Dolmar has really impressed my with their quality, price, and just being great runners.
Oh and for my favorite heater/ fanboy
How light and great handling they are.
I would buy one in your situation. It would be an ideal combination with your other saws.

My favorite saw was my 254xp until I got a 2095turbo. The husky just sits around now.

Just some small saw loving going on over here.
Any body else use their small saw more than their larger saw?
It seems that every one likes to recommend a 70cc saw but when ever I can I grab my small saw. I probably over work it a bit at times but that is why I bought it.
Who else has a sub 45cc saw that they seem to reach for before their larger saw?
Post a pick of your favorite small saw.
View attachment 459980
Just some small saw loving going on over here.
Any body else use their small saw more than their larger saw?
It seems that every one likes to recommend a 70cc saw but when ever I can I grab my small saw. I probably over work it a bit at times but that is why I bought it.
Who else has a sub 45cc saw that they seem to reach for before their larger saw?
Post a pick of your favorite small saw.
View attachment 459980
When your big saw is a 056 I don't blame you.

Back